Archaelund (now updated with screenshots and video!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Re: About my next game (preliminary info!)

Dark Mage Ascended":1knbg526 said:
While discussing the Mechanics and overall structure of the game is important, I'm no game designer, so I'll ask about the aspect of the game I understand best: lore.
This step in reclaiming the lost world would be inevitable, but what made the Exiled Kingdoms set sail to Andoria?

I am still waiting to make a proper announcement including some basic lore, feature list, etc. But I guess there's no harm in sharing a portion of my setting document answering that, which will very likely be included as part of the game manual:

L3aDKpp.png

EDIT: Oh, and I just accidentally dropped there the game's name! :D

Xen

Loreseeker

DavidBVal":341rag4q said:
I am still waiting to make a proper announcement including some basic lore, feature list, etc. But I guess there's no harm in sharing a portion of my setting document answering that, which will very likely be included as part of the game manual:

L3aDKpp.png

I don't know what to say.... I guess it's going to be a massive hit in both PC and Android/IOS Market.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker

DavidBVal":1clff3p0 said:
I am still waiting to make a proper announcement including some basic lore, feature list, etc. But I guess there's no harm in sharing a portion of my setting document answering that, which will very likely be included as part of the game manual
What?!? You actually intend to make a game manual? I will only belief such a thing when it really happens. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, do you happen to have such a setting document for EK too? If so, would you be willing to share it with us now that EK is officially finished?
I guess many players would love to get a bit more background lore beyond the fragments provided in the in-game dialogues, especially if it is written in such a coherent way. This would also be a great thing for the lore section of the Wiki, so it may finally contain something more then, well, emptiness.

And just for my understanding: Does the "journal of a sage and adventurer" refer to the EK player character (after looking through the telescope in the Observatory)?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

MikeB":2mw3cktk said:
What?!? You actually intend to make a game manual? I will only belief such a thing when it really happens. :mrgreen:

I'll go as far into oldschoolness as the people is willing to play along with their support. Among my plans, I intend to sell a hardcopy manual and cluebook. Not sure if it'll be possible to go that far, but definitely a pdf manual that will have at least 100 pages will be released. I already have around 50 pages of internal documentation alone, and much of it can be used in a manual.

On a serious note, do you happen to have such a setting document for EK too? If so, would you be willing to share it with us now that EK is officially finished?
I guess many players would love to get a bit more background lore beyond the fragments provided in the in-game dialogues, especially if it is written in such a coherent way. This would also be a great thing for the lore section of the Wiki, so it may finally contain something more then, well, emptiness.

Alas, no. Everything was (or is) in my head, I never had a chance to properly sit down and "design" EK in such a planified way, it was something I did in the few spare moments between my previous job, development, etc. I had to improvise *a lot* and a few incoherences showed up here and there, which I fixed to the best of my skill. Now I can do things right, and it feels damn good to have a clear direction. Actually, it is very much like when I wrote down entire settings or game rules when I was in high school!

And just for my understanding: Does the "journal of a sage and adventurer" refer to the EK player character (after looking through the telescope in the Observatory)?

*cough* well, the game is not a sequel, but indeed will contain many references to familiar events from EK. Here is an even more obvious one...

ICkeKNi.png

PS: this document is internal and still subject to heavy changes.

p4ran0id

Staff member

DavidBVal":3gp4nzgp said:
I'll go as far into oldschoolness as the people is willing to play along with their support. Among my plans, I intend to sell a hardcopy manual and cluebook. Not sure if it'll be possible to go that far, but definitely a pdf manual that will have at least 100 pages will be released. I already have around 50 pages of internal documentation alone, and much of it can be used in a manual.

If you need help, I'm really good at such stuff (design and Co). A draft is enough and I can format it to a good manual. ;)
(of course for free, or for a alpha tester account :lol:)

Dark Mage Ascended

Before EK, I played a series of games called Tales of Illyria. In addition to a decent game for a reasonable price, I found that, in addition to the game, there was a Codex filled with lore AND containing all combat info. There was a Codex per game, total of 3,the first over 100 pages long.
I fully support the Decision to make a game manual, as I don't see it often accompanying good games such as ToI was, or Exiled Kingdoms is. I'd read through the whole damn thing before starting the game!

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

p4ran0id":1cz00d30 said:
If you need help, I'm really good at such stuff (design and Co). A draft is enough and I can format it to a good manual. ;)
(of course for free, or for a alpha tester account :lol:)

Thanks, we're still a long way from print formatting, but I'll drop you a line then.

jzz111

Please make this playable on Linux also! I have moved away from Windows with no intentions of returning and EK has become one of my all time favorites.

SoulSnatcher

Turn based makes me nervous because I absolutely love how battles happen in EK and is a key reason I play the game. I honestly hate turned base and feel no real skill goes into the battles, you simply just take your turn. I hope that isn't really how it will be. I can't wait to see your new game in action, you truly are a great developer.

kwill

Loreseeker

DavidBVal":m1bkoiga said:
Combat is similar to that of modern 3D turn-based RPGs, like Wasteland 2 or Divinity:Original Sin. Action-point based, full control of a party and a big variety of spells and skills to use in battle. You can freely move the camera during combat. The grid is square-based, not hexagonal.

Since I'm here, I'll give a brief update. I keep progressing quite fast, basic combat mechanics are in place (turn order and initiative, move around, attack an enemy, kill it) all with animation and camera control, plus the basics of the AI. In parallel to this, map design is also looking good; it has been quite challenging to build scenes that are ready for both exploration and combat mode, as some compromises need to be made. But I'm quite satisfied with the results even if there's still a lot of work to do.

When I need a rest I work a little on the setting, story and rulesystem and take notes about ideas for quests or characters. That is, the actual game which I wish I could just implement with a snap of my fingers. I hope once development is more advanced (spring?) I can really focus on this part, which is what makes a game fun and interesting, and is the part of my job I enjoy the most. I also love programming, but in the end programming is a 10% of implementing things, and a 90% of frustratingly finding out why stuff doesn't work as it should. You often spend a whole day or more on very silly things. Moreso when you start from scratch with new code and a new environment.

But despite that, I'm far ahead of my planned schedule, which is good. I might be showing some screenshots or even videos in a few months (with placeholder art).

I am so incredibly excited for this next adventure and envious of your job! Thanks for sharing your time and talent, and of course your passion for classic RPG's. Krondor was one of my favorite games.

Hats off to you sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.