Archbishop dilla - missing skill check dialogue

RougeRogue

Having a little trouble getting the skill check dialogue when talking to Dilla.

I gave the book to the priest in New Anthur and have the required INT level, Dllla also thanks me for retreiving the book and when questioned she admits to burning it - yet there's no skill check option given in the conversation to question more deeply.

Are there any other hidden requirements to get the option?

relevant wiki page: http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... shop_Dilla

Thanks

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
RougeRogue":34d6nhmo said:
I gave the book to the priest in New Anthur and have the required INT level, Dllla also thanks me for retreiving the book and when questioned she admits to burning it - yet there's no skill check option given in the conversation to question more deeply.
There is no other prerequisite to my knowledge.

The conversation should go something like this:
You: "What can you tell me about the book?"
She: "...nothing but an adventure novel...bla bla"
You: "Tell me more about the story in the book."
She "...Jorum and his fellows learn the legend of the Numina Stones...bla bla"
You: "Who were his companions?"
She: "...a powerful war priest...bla bla"
You: [Int 2] "Wait a minute...bla bla"
Did you get any of these lines?

RougeRogue

Hi,

yeah, all those lines showed up, but when it gets to:

She: "...a powerful war priest...bla bla"

I have no blue option, it only lets me say:

'I see. Let me ask something else.'

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I'm away from home today, but tomorrow I will check the files to see what's the exact requisite for that line.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
The only possibility is that you already got the line once... it assigns a unique variable and then checks for it, ensuring that you only get the line (and the 1000XP) once.

I did a search for that variable being accidentally called the same as another in other dialogs, and no, it only appears in that dialogue.

I tried it myself and worked as intended, could it be that you did it and forgot?

RougeRogue

That was also my first thought but when i went the gate to where she lives was closed.

I'm beginning to think I didn't give the book, and just remembered wrongly. I did check all my storage just in case, but nothing there, and I'm doing a completionist run so it's unlikely i sold it.

Will Dilla mention you returning and then them burning the book if you havent given it to the priest when completing the 'abyss gazed back..' mission?

cheers

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
No, you certainly returned the book.

Please send me an ek.bak exported file to [email protected] and I'll have a look. Right now the game files tell me the only thing preventing that response is that it was already done, but I'd like to have a look at the data.

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
I had the exact same problem with my newest character on hard difficulty today. I opened the gate and talked to the Archbishop but the skillcheck didn't come up. It did work as intended in the past with my other character. I certainly have enought INT and have completed the quest, so that isn't the problem.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I followed up this issue via email with RougeRogue, here is my reply after checking his file:

Thanks. I looked into the file and... it is quite puzzling.

The internal variable know_divinity is set to 1, as if you had already read that dialogue. And the variable marking your access to the Hall, access_hallwisdom is set to 1, meaning you have access to the hall but *not* to the archbishop, it would need to be a 2 to open the archbishop grate.

That seems to be impossible. the only explanation would be that I erroneously used the same variable name somewhere else in the game, thus setting it to 1 accidentally... but I did a thorough text search in the whole project folder and only got a result on the archbishop dialogue; a dialogue you simply can't have accessed yet. So I'm at a loss to explain this... some really obscure bug in the code, maybe, but the code with variables and conditions has always been rather robust until now.

In case this can somehow help uncover the mystery, the variable has been set after you read the last (4th) XP book in the Hall, but before you explored the Forgotten Temple, so right before you did the Crown of Tol quest. I don't know... maybe you talked to the archbishop through a wall due to a glitch and then forgot about it?

I didn't get a reply, maybe you can remember anything that can shed some light on the issue? feel free to send me an EK.bak file so I can look into it.