Archaelund (now updated with screenshots and video!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bans1x

Re: About my next game (preliminary info!)

A question
Will it be similiar to the HOM&M series?
Combat wise

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

Combat is similar to that of modern 3D turn-based RPGs, like Wasteland 2 or Divinity:Original Sin. Action-point based, full control of a party and a big variety of spells and skills to use in battle. You can freely move the camera during combat. The grid is square-based, not hexagonal.

Since I'm here, I'll give a brief update. I keep progressing quite fast, basic combat mechanics are in place (turn order and initiative, move around, attack an enemy, kill it) all with animation and camera control, plus the basics of the AI. In parallel to this, map design is also looking good; it has been quite challenging to build scenes that are ready for both exploration and combat mode, as some compromises need to be made. But I'm quite satisfied with the results even if there's still a lot of work to do.

When I need a rest I work a little on the setting, story and rulesystem and take notes about ideas for quests or characters. That is, the actual game which I wish I could just implement with a snap of my fingers. I hope once development is more advanced (spring?) I can really focus on this part, which is what makes a game fun and interesting, and is the part of my job I enjoy the most. I also love programming, but in the end programming is a 10% of implementing things, and a 90% of frustratingly finding out why stuff doesn't work as it should. You often spend a whole day or more on very silly things. Moreso when you start from scratch with new code and a new environment.

But despite that, I'm far ahead of my planned schedule, which is good. I might be showing some screenshots or even videos in a few months (with placeholder art).

Igna_da

It's like a dream come true. I've been here since Alpha and I often complained because Exiled Kingdoms is not turn-based, you can imagine how glad I am about these news. Recently I played the whole game and I never expected it'd become so huge. I'm looking fwd to play this "Unnamed Game" on PC and I hope there's an alpha-test phase we can help with.

Cuckoorex

I second the JA2 inspiration, and also X-Com and also the Realms of Arkania series for the isometric combat. It was so much fun!

Bans1x

David i was interested in how the game will play out and if you will try to make it a more immersive prequel like gurk series did with a mysterious yet engaging battle system and storyline and of course you cant forget the tiny things that make the game just a bit better

Next thing... about the design i would love to see more of FLARE since it gave the game this oldschool vibe that i loved so much that its probably what made me try out and play the game ofcourse its not gonna be flare since the models are gonna be 3D but somewhat of that caliber style
Hope you understand my weirdly phrased english :)
I hope you have a nice day

NecromancerFan

Most RPGs these days are bland(the rpg aspect that is not graphics) but your game captures what makes classic rpgs good which is why im a huge fan and i will be buying your upcoming game if its as good as exiled kingdoms. I have been playing exiled kingdoms for a while now and i think the game is pretty good overall. I think the summoner mechanic is very cool but a little disappointed there are no undead/ necromancer type summons. The necromancer class in diablo 2 seems like the best there ever is. If your new game has that unique mage subclass im sure its uniqueness will fill a void in some players fantasy myself included.

BOSTACH

Hey can you make the combat system like warcraft i dont know what its called, the reason why i dont like divinity original sin 2 is the combat system, i love acting fast and it makes fighting weak enemies and grinding less boring, i know im asking for so much but is there a chance you could make that possible?

yandersen

Damn, David, I would love your next game to be like old Shining Force II from Sega, but for mobile. The game mechanics are so close to what you described, it's just always a 2D isometry, both in battle and during exploration.

Dark Mage Ascended

While discussing the Mechanics and overall structure of the game is important, I'm no game designer, so I'll ask about the aspect of the game I understand best: lore.
This step in reclaiming the lost world would be inevitable, but what made the Exiled Kingdoms set sail to Andoria?

Status
Not open for further replies.