Does Crafting have a place in this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSolomon

I noticed that part of your plan for later updates was to add a crafting system, I would discourage this.

1. Enemies and dungeons already drop tons of items
The way the game plays encourages you to go in and out of dungeons many times before your done with them, this gives you ample opportunity to gain new armor and weapon drops.
If Crafting is definitely going to be in the game I would encourage you to to either make the weapons you can make yourself a good step more powerful than anything you could find as a drop, and make the material drop rare. Or make armor and weapon drops very rare, so that finding materials is meaningful, instead of just one more thing to go sell or store.

2. Micromanagement of resources might periodically kill the game flow
A huge part of the appeal of this game is that it is easy to understand and play, despite being in an open world format. I think the principal behind crafting could be used in a good way somewhere, like using ingredients to make potions, but even that concept is easy to turn into a mess of unnecessary micromanagement.
Keep the game simple, only add features that enhance the other aspects of your game design. Introducing the idea that random bits of junk might be useful to you at some point instantly makes you want to keep all of them, and instantly turns into annoying inventory shuffling whenever you want to craft.
In essence i would like to see crafting as something you as a player want to do naturally, that fits into the "sleep -> excursion ->repeat" formula you have already, not as simply a a tacked on way to make items, that slows the game down for a marginal reward.

I really like this game and want to see it succeed, I hope this topic can contribute to that.

KingSolomon

Well cool! That sounds like a really fun system, it will be neat to see what kinds of builds you can make depending on the faction you choose. Like a Warrior who has got high crafting for magic items and functions like a spell blade!

Unfortunately the only true Open world games I've played are Skyrim and Zelda I. Skyrim's crafting was actually the inspiration for this topic (so much fricking micromanagement! :evil: )

On another note, I decided on whim right after i bought the full version that i was only going to play on Iron Man mode, It's been a painful few days.

Trasd

DragonAge":i78jwmhj said:
I see fallout everywhere in EK. It is post-apocalyptic in a way.

Crafting sounds great but whenever I read about different character builds etc, I think: we need more character slots.
You know, I still haven't played Fallout! I have I & II, but I just haven't had a chance. I hope Beamdog can do something with Fallout, but I'm not sure they can get the proper license permissions. It uses the Infinity engine, right?

The only games I play on the PC now, with any regularity, is DDO and LotRO (though I do have a Skyrim game going). Since I got my 12" tablet, I play on it mostly. There are health reasons.....

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
No, Fallouts are precursors to infinity, but not infinity engine games. They may look similar, but they're purely turn based and based in Action Points/Round.

Fallout 1 is something that you should play right now, I dare to bet you a beer that there's no other game better than Fallout 1 that you could be playing right now :D . It's short (about 15-20 hours), and maybe the best RPG of all time in terms of story concept, quest design and writing. It has its flaws, like all greats; compared to Infinity you'll notice usability limitations. But the sum of the parts is simply mind-blowing. It has things that no other game has done since, but I can't say more without spoiling.

Trasd

DavidBVal":292lomgj said:
No, Fallouts are precursors to infinity, but not infinity engine games. They may look similar, but they're purely turn based and based in Action Points/Round.

Fallout 1 is something that you should play right now, I dare to bet you a beer that there's no other game better than Fallout 1 that you could be playing right now :D . It's short (about 15-20 hours), and maybe the best RPG of all time in terms of story concept, quest design and writing. It has its flaws, like all greats; compared to Infinity you'll notice usability limitations. But the sum of the parts is simply mind-blowing. It has things that no other game has done since, but I can't say more without spoiling.
I can actually get Fallout I to run on my tablet, so I may just do that in the near future! I actually got FO II to run as well, but the Windows VM running on top of a DOS VM in a Java VM proved unreliable.

Adam2311

This was2 years ago. You say here the update will be available in a few weeks. Yet it's still not available. Also what about the orc kingdoms and elder forest do these areas ever become available

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
It is from over 3 years ago during the Alpha testing phase, and it was finally discarded. Locking thread, as it's very old and irrelevant nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.