Staff&Summon Build

Yzmo

First, two issues:

1. English is not my native language, sorry.
2. I wanted to create a page only in the wiki, but I don't have permission to create pages :(

Staff&Summon Build (for mages, obviously)

The name is very explicative. This isn't a elementalist mage, she haven't got any point in elemental skills. All her mana is for summon and shield, and her only attack is a long and hard staff.

30bfshs.jpg

Yes, 35 DPS is not OMG MASSIVE DAMAGE, but remember, is pure elemental damage, so enemies' armor is usseless (for them). And you need to carry, at least, First Winter (ice), Tesla Rod (shock) and Magma Greatstaff (fire), and exploit enemies' vulnerabilities. Maybe Staff of Wonders and The Corruptor too.

Resistances: In the screenshot, is in SoH Level 3 Mode (the last mission I did). You need to carry resistance in Fire > Ice > Toxic = Death. In Ark, YOU DONT NEED RESISTANCE AT ALL.

And the equipment, all is balance between "+mana" and "+resistances". About "+traits", it's just a bonus, never a priority (except +INT, because mana and staff damage, and maybe +AGI). If you want I can show the equipment, but I change with every dungeon I visit (e. g. normally I use Amulet of Dark Sorrows, but in SoH 3 you want Flame Pendant).

17fj4g.jpg

Strength: 0. You are a mage. But hey, if you want, put 2 points for health.
Endurance: 4. You need health, and poison resistance is a good bonus.
Agility: 5. Armor and damage with ranged weapons.
Intellect: 7. Mana, staff damage, experience... you really want Intellect.
Awareness: 4. For +2 with ranged weapons and Good Ending (+Amulet of Dark Whispers). But you only need 3 for that, really. Put 3 points if you want, and raise your Strength.
Personality: 4. Good Ending (+Bishop ring) and yummy yummy mana (and Earth Mastery).

Priority: Intellect > Agility > Personality > Endurance > Awareness > Strength

I didn't use all Tolossian Tomes with MC, some of them are for Hirge (and I have a lot without spending).

smydqs.jpg

Lesser Summoning: 2. Prerequisite for Earth Mastery. And your favorite summon in Ark (for this skill you don't need shock resistance at all, and mages are a joke)
Mage Armor: 3. Good armor and resistances, and prerrequisite for Mage Barrier. Level 4 maybe is a bit mana-expensive.
Mana Surge: 3. Yummy yummy mana.
Staff Mastery: 4. You need damage, and you got damage. Slow is a bit useless, except in Ark, when you dont have a hireling. You need Slow vs Spiders.

Arcanist: 3. Less mana-cost, more gold. Save your gold, the staffs are really hungry.
Earth Mastery 3. Mid game, he is a destructor of worlds. Late game, a dependable tank.
Mage Barrier: 3. Not only does 40 shock damage (great vs Spiders Ark), also stun and pushes back. Really usseful.
Summoner: 3. A strong golem is a safe mage.

Optional/Utility/Well, don't hurt put points in this.
Gate: 2. It is convenient, but you can purchase scrolls.
Fire Mastery: 1. It is convenient in SoH 3, but again, you can purchase scrolls

Priorities: Mage Armor > Staff Mastery > Lesser Summoning > Mage Barrier > Earth Mastery > Mana Surge > Summoner > Arcanist > Gate > Fire Mastery

Why not Disintegrate, if that skill fit really well thematically with this build? Because 70 mana for 140 damage is a joke. Iron Golem cost that (80, really), and he have 33,4 DPS (more with Summoner). Don't put points en Disintegrate, needs a buff.

Why not Extra Recovery? Because in the beginning, you need all your skills points in others skills. In late game, you are swimming in gold, just buy potions. I did SoH without use Recovery.

Companion

Hirge, of course. Healer & Tank. She needs life, mana, armor and resistances. DPS is just a bonus.

Tips

- Beginnings are tough. Just assume it. Lesser Summoning, Staff and Hirge (Grissenda in the really beginning) are your weapons. Hit&Run.
- Try to rush your visit to Icemist and Mage Guild. Of course, be reasonable, you need to do all Mages Quests, so at least you need level 10.
- Don't put Earth Mastery inmediatly in level 3 when you got the skill. Cost 80 mana, it's a LOT. Earth Elemental works well in mid game.
- Be careful with toxic (with Earth Elemental) and ice (with Iron Elemental). This elements are your weakness.
- Be fast. Even if your summon doesn't die (and he gonna die), he only lasts three minutes. And cost a lot of mana. Take advantage of those three minutes of life to the fullest.

Lolerescut

Love your guide but mages are the most flexible characters in the game you could only invest in intellegence electric bolt and staff or wand and mana pool and that it you have your self aglass cannon then you got to a different run and invest endurance and intellegence for triats and mage barrier amd mage armor and disentegrate staff/wand skills and still pullout a half cannon and half tank mage then you can go to mana consuming types so you need intellegence and personality as traits with mana pool and the first 3 skills thunder bolt fireball and tornado with mage armor and barrier no need to even equip a staffborba wand if your mana is high enough the skills cooldown is fast
My point is you said to live the 3 min to the fullest when your living magento the minimum yes you can make a tactic that makes the whole game a walk in a park but you can try different tactics dont get me wrong your build is good but i am saying this because i have a feeling you havent tried mage to its fullest

Mod Note: pleas avoid full quote

Yzmo

Lolerescut":15zy6izi said:

Thanks for your reply :D

Yes, I know elemental mage are powerhouse, and probably more efficient than my build, but when I saw the Earth Mastery skill in the wiki... It was love at first sight! I needed a level 18 Iron Golem at all cost. And that cost 15 skills points. And I wanted a maxed Mage Barrier too, 11 skills points. And Mana Surge. With my remaining skills points, I saw difficult create a Master Elementalist, so I decided to Staff+Arcanist route. And the saving of mana is important, too.

And last, but more important... I wanted to play something different. I was not trying to create the ULTIMATE MAGE, just a different type. One fun for me :D

Lolerescut

Yzmo":vtpzaf04 said:
Good thing to hear your having fun as i said when i read your topic i thought u were new to mages and wanted to ooen your eyes about how overpowered they can be but good thing you know the trick is how strong but how fun playing your character is

p4ran0id

Staff member
Could you please avoid full quotes? It's hard to read and that's not really necessary, just use the post reply button instead of quote. ;)

123Klutz

I'd like to use Body development II. It'll give you tons of HP, especially when you have the force belt. I know playing with lower HP is possible...but by any means, playing an armored cannon is much more comfortable than a glass cannon.

In Ark, YOU DONT NEED RESISTANCE AT ALL
In ARK you don't need resistance at all IF YOU HAVE FINISHED THE QUEST IN REACTOR AND HAVE BOUGHT THE FORCE BELT, someone probably want to farm the traveler ring in reactor...I don't think it's a good idea tho..

by the way, (IMO) Gate has very little value, why should I learn a skill which can be simply replaced by coins..

Lolerescut

I know what you mean my favorite character is a shield expert warrior he couldnt possible die especially with circle of restoration a 400+ heall every 3 seconds at lvl 19 was kinda invincible

Lolerescut

Not really since i made sure he has high spirit resist and infantry training especailly for making him invincible