First, two issues:
1. English is not my native language, sorry.
2. I wanted to create a page only in the wiki, but I don't have permission to create pages Staff&Summon Build (for mages, obviously)
The name is very explicative. This isn't a elementalist mage, she haven't got any point in elemental skills. All her mana is for summon and shield, and her only attack is a long and hard staff.
Yes, 35 DPS is not OMG MASSIVE DAMAGE, but remember, is pure elemental damage, so enemies' armor is usseless (for them). And you need to carry, at least, First Winter (ice), Tesla Rod (shock) and Magma Greatstaff (fire), and exploit enemies' vulnerabilities. Maybe Staff of Wonders and The Corruptor too.
Resistances: In the screenshot, is in SoH Level 3 Mode (the last mission I did). You need to carry resistance in Fire > Ice > Toxic = Death. In Ark, YOU DONT NEED RESISTANCE AT ALL.
And the equipment, all is balance between "+mana" and "+resistances". About "+traits", it's just a bonus, never a priority (except +INT, because mana and staff damage, and maybe +AGI). If you want I can show the equipment, but I change with every dungeon I visit (e. g. normally I use Amulet of Dark Sorrows, but in SoH 3 you want Flame Pendant). Strength
: 0. You are a mage. But hey, if you want, put 2 points for health.Endurance
: 4. You need health, and poison resistance is a good bonus.Agility
: 5. Armor and damage with ranged weapons.Intellect
: 7. Mana, staff damage, experience... you really want Intellect.Awareness
: 4. For +2 with ranged weapons and Good Ending (+Amulet of Dark Whispers). But you only need 3 for that, really. Put 3 points if you want, and raise your Strength.Personality
: 4. Good Ending (+Bishop ring) and yummy yummy mana (and Earth Mastery).
Priority: Intellect > Agility > Personality > Endurance > Awareness > Strength
I didn't use all Tolossian Tomes with MC, some of them are for Hirge (and I have a lot without spending).Lesser Summoning
: 2. Prerequisite for Earth Mastery. And your favorite summon in Ark (for this skill you don't need shock resistance at all, and mages are a joke)Mage Armor
: 3. Good armor and resistances, and prerrequisite for Mage Barrier. Level 4 maybe is a bit mana-expensive.Mana Surge
: 3. Yummy yummy mana.Staff Mastery
: 4. You need damage, and you got damage. Slow is a bit useless, except in Ark, when you dont have a hireling. You need Slow vs Spiders.Arcanist
: 3. Less mana-cost, more gold. Save your gold, the staffs are really hungry.Earth Mastery
3. Mid game, he is a destructor of worlds. Late game, a dependable tank.Mage Barrier
: 3. Not only does 40 shock damage (great vs Spiders Ark), also stun and pushes back. Really usseful.Summoner
: 3. A strong golem is a safe mage.
Optional/Utility/Well, don't hurt put points in this.Gate
: 2. It is convenient, but you can purchase scrolls.Fire Mastery
: 1. It is convenient in SoH 3, but again, you can purchase scrolls
Priorities: Mage Armor > Staff Mastery > Lesser Summoning > Mage Barrier > Earth Mastery > Mana Surge > Summoner > Arcanist > Gate > Fire Mastery
Why not Disintegrate, if that skill fit really well thematically with this build? Because 70 mana for 140 damage is a joke. Iron Golem cost that (80, really), and he have 33,4 DPS (more with Summoner). Don't put points en Disintegrate, needs a buff.
Why not Extra Recovery? Because in the beginning, you need all your skills points in others skills. In late game, you are swimming in gold, just buy potions. I did SoH without use Recovery.Companion
Hirge, of course. Healer & Tank. She needs life, mana, armor and resistances. DPS is just a bonus.Tips
- Beginnings are tough. Just assume it. Lesser Summoning, Staff and Hirge (Grissenda in the really beginning) are your weapons. Hit&Run.
- Try to rush your visit to Icemist and Mage Guild. Of course, be reasonable, you need to do all Mages Quests, so at least you need level 10.
- Don't put Earth Mastery inmediatly in level 3 when you got the skill. Cost 80 mana, it's a LOT. Earth Elemental works well in mid game.
- Be careful with toxic (with Earth Elemental) and ice (with Iron Elemental). This elements are your weakness.
- Be fast. Even if your summon doesn't die (and he gonna die), he only lasts three minutes. And cost a lot of mana. Take advantage of those three minutes of life to the fullest.