Arghhh!! I hate the elemental plane of fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike_ay

Seriously, after slogging through the sewers and other level to get to the plane of fire and die trying to run down that stupid river of flame. With gear and potions I’m at 120 fire resistance but I always die. Please remove some of the trees so there is at least some sort of path...I want to throw my phone through the window :)

Aside from that, I LOVE this game!!!! :D

VDX_360

Staff member
mike_ay":prx1df2r said:
....I want to throw my phone through the window :)
Don't break your phone, you'll only make the Developer stronger (he gets evil XP every time someone breaks their phone during the Sewers of Horrors quest).

The Sewers were added as an end-game challenge level. It's a huge step up in difficulty due to marathon nature of the area. Of course, David had to throw in different element types just to make sure an unsuspecting hero would get caught off guard by one of them.

Cuckoorex

I had to go back to an earlier save for my Warrior character because my lvl 26 Warrior had no potions, omelets, or other means of healing and low fire resistance. Even just getting the Fire Resist potions, the Rings, and ignoring the fire elementals and trying to get to the portal wasn't working. So I had to go back to my lvl 24 save and now I have to redo the Ark and a bunch of other stuff.

My one main criticism of the game is this: there's too much of a need to reset traits, skills, and equipment AFTER you learn the hard way that you're screwed unless you do. The Wiki can prepare you for what you need, but there are those who consider that almost like cheating. I shouldn't have to consult a Wiki to get at least a hint of what I need to prepare for. There should be something in the dialogue with NPCs that indicates that, for example, I'm going to need to have high Shock tolerance in the Ark or that I'm going to need high Fire Tolerance for the Elemental Plane of Fire. I mean, I get it, it's cool to have a real challenge for high level players, but which do you emphasize - Spirit Resistance to avoid getting stunned/paralyzed or Fire resistance so you don't die within seconds? When you only know what you need to prepare for after multiple fruitless attempts and are ready to throw your phone out the window, I don't call that fun. There's no need to Nerf the level, mind you; it's OK and awesome to have a tough challenge. But at least throw the player a clue or two as to what to expect without having to consult the Wiki.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Learning by pain ;)

Just think about it other way, after failing you want to solve that, and that's what keep you playing.

Would you have replayed the SoH without failing? That's what keep the players, if you know what will come you would have spent less time playing the game. And the time you spend inside the game is the only thing that really matters. :)

Cuckoorex

p4ran0id":2xyg11ph said:
Learning by pain ;)

Just think about it other way, after failing you want to solve that, and that's what keep you playing.

Would you have replayed the SoH without failing? That's what keep the players, if you know what will come you would have spent less time playing the game. And the time you spend inside the game is the only thing that really matters. :)

If I had been playing on Ironman I would have been totally pissed and WOULD have probably thrown my phone. It's one thing to encounter a tough puzzle or a tough boss, it's another thing where you either have to DIE multiple times or consult a Wiki to figure out when and how often you'll need to respec your character to survive various environments. It's pretty much impossible to know until after you've failed OR consulted the Wiki. I don't think that should be the case. I think the in-game dialogue should at least give you some warning.

Something that Folcarad might mention, for example: "Beware, should you venture below; there are rumours that monsters dwell there which can paralyze even the bravest adventurer, and even talk of a lower level where flames consume all who enter!"

See? Simple enough. No need to consult the Wiki, no need to go in unprepared. Unless you're not paying attention, you can tell from that bit of dialogue that you're going to want Spirit and Fire resistance built up. Right?

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
But, in battle log, if you have it on, you can see type of damage you're receiving. So, you can relatively fast found out what type of protection you need in any area.

Cuckoorex

Alan_SP":1nmvzm5e said:
But, in battle log, if you have it on, you can see type of damage you're receiving. So, you can relatively fast found out what type of protection you need in any area.

Information that comes too late in the Sewer of Horrors because once you enter, you have to go through all of the levels to get out. Not knowing about the Elemental Plane of Fire means you'd have to go through the first two levels, get to the EPoF, realize what you need to prep for, then RELOAD from before you entered the SOH and get prepped for the EPoF. Tedious. The only other option is I can think of is that you'd need to carry around whole sets of high resistance equipment *just in case* you'll need one or the other.

See, for the Ark, you can go in, see the battle log and head back out and get yourself prepped for shock damage and resistance, but you can't with SOH.

p4ran0id

Staff member
If you want a spoiler before entering a dungeon just use the wiki...

a) There are player who like a competition and solving something unknown for themself (like me).

b) Or you want a walk through and use the wiki, there is everything You need to know to solve a dungeon or a quest.

Why destroy the fun of a) just because you are too lazy to use option b) ?

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Cuckoorex":3e1hfobi said:
Information that comes too late in the Sewer of Horrors because once you enter, you have to go through all of the levels to get out.
From what I know, it is not true.

You can use save slot other than quick save. So you can always have back up save, no matter what (except in ironman mode, but people who play ironman I think play in different ways than other players).

Also, as already mentioned, if you want to know, you can (wiki), but if you want to explore on your own, then it is OK to have it this way. Choose the path you like.

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
p4ran0id":m3fm6nd5 said:
There are player who like a competition and solving something unknown for themself (like me).

Exactly. With my first character I did did my utmost best to avoid Sewer of Horror spoilers exactly for this reason. I knew it would be hard, but I went in as prepared as possible with the best armor, potions and omelettes to face any challenge thrown at me. I had horrible frost resistance so I struggled a bit on that part and the toxic waste area is still the hardest part except the plane in my book but in the end I still managed to conquer the sewers without help.

Of course I still died a lot in the elemental plane of fire. And I might have felt a few times like giving up and just restarting the whole sewers with other equipment. But I didn't. I pulled through, escaped by running from the demons behind me (though I came back for them in my next Sewers run) and it felt so much better then if I had everything handheld to me beforehand.

Although I must say, David was really generous in the elemental plane of fire. He left some anti-fire equipment in some chests on that plane for people like you that didn't expect a full fire challenge. I must admit that I used one of these chest too for my first escape from the plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.