Mage Shooting Wild

user95

I really didn't want to make a new topic thread. But don't see what/who I could post under.

First "...you've come a long way baby..." :-] back when the game would shut down constantly after 2-10 mins of play. I appreciate you taking the time to be active w/ your players and continuing to improve your creation. It is great, wonderful, & fabulous. It has been a joy to watch, and to play. Keep up the good work.

Have been playing the mage, and get a bit aggravated w/ having him start shooting away from the fight, either across the room or down the hall. I'll have my comp & familiar fighting across the room or in a doorway, and i (as a squishy mu) stand back and shoot. Then it starts shooting into a totally different area of the room (?detecting monsters in other rooms that are "closer"?). But when I'm in the same room, and start shooting into a corner or wall ..... weeellll not a happy camper >:-o. Then run & shoot, run & shoot till toon figures out it's in combat again. Doorways have always been a bit of a problem regardless of the class I've played, but have to _work_ to get the spells to go in the doorway, even when right behind comp.

BTW after the last update (1.2.1107), I do not restart as often. NOT the "..during game play restart.." that's fixed. But if I jump(ed) out of the game to another app, or (especially) anything to do w/the net (ie email, screen data update, web surf, etc), the game would start over from the first splash screen and have to re load. It got to where I could go to local apps w/out a restart, but i-net contact makes a restart. I figured that the game and google/or an i-net command/app shared some resource and bumped EK thus requiring a "reload". I'd be able to go to 1 or 2 w-sites before EK would restart. AFTER this last update I can now go out to 4-8 w-sites, or ck 3-4 emails then it restarts. Thanks !! Or perhaps I'm just reading to much into this and there's just an inactivity timer. LOL :-]

Tx again for your time and effort. Keep up the GREAT work.

Ted :-]

VDX_360

Staff member
Okay, there's a few issues intermingled there. Let me see if I pulled them apart correctly:

1) Mage Targeting AI: During combat, your mage will start to shoot at enemies that are not your intended targets, either enemies farther away or in a different room.

2) The game re-starts when it's in the background for a bit.

The first is a known issue that has been worked on. If there's an area this issue seems more frequently, let us know and maybe send a screen shot. There are a few places in the game when the enemies in a closed room are visible, when they shouldn't be, which could be part of the challenge here.

The second seems to be an issue with multiple apps, and I think you're on the right track with the concern it's the game and other apps that have to share a resource, or those apps force close other apps. Seriously, apps like to declare war on each other just to be bastards.

The Developer would have more exact info...

VDX_360

Staff member
user95":3rwosowg said:
I really didn't want to make a new topic thread. But don't see what/who I could post under.
Moved thread to SUPPORT so the right people can see it Feedback and Support sometimes have overlapping topics, but anything with a bug, or technical problem is best posted in Support.

And thanks for posting. Don't worry about creating a new topic if none of the recent topics seem to match. Taking the time time to do a quick scan is appreciated but feel encouraged to post any suspected bugs.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
You didn't mentioned your device and how much RAM it has.

Also, Android is very notorious for its memory management, some versions are so bad that Samsung on some of his phones included software to automatically reboot device, just to have "latest and greatest Android" on it.

EK as 2D game has relatively big need for RAM, and depending of available RAM (more apps you have, more RAM is used) there can be problems. It is not problem of EK and can't be solved just like that.

Only solutions would be:

a) device with more RAM
b) use fewer apps (as few as possible)

I understand that is not option for many, so you need to accept Android and its problematic memory management.

user95

No I didn't say anything about the tech aspect. My purpose in the post was to point out the randomness of the mage shooting. Which I saw as a game issue vs an interface issue. The other point was to say thanks for reducing how often the app closed, and let them know that they HAD reduced how often the app closed. I know I wander at times verbally. Sorry about that.

And yeah, I figured it was an issue w/android and resource management.
But I can throw tech items out np. :-] (ps if something specific is needed please let me know. I'll try to ck regularly during the week. [I usually don't :])

Tx Ted :-]

LG-G3
Model #: VS985 4G
Android 6.0
Patch 2017-03-01
Software Ver. : VS9854CA
Config. Ver. : J13.LGE.VS985.0

user95

@ VDX_360

A point of clarification. There is nobody in the area where the mage shoots. ie Across the room, down the hall way, there is no one there. And that's where he keeps shooting till you move position.

I was voicing a guess that the mu was detecting other monsters in the area. Or perhaps another possibility, he's just not detecting any monsters and is firing the direction he's facing.

Thank you for moving it to the appropriate place and taking the time to clarify my statement.

Ted :-]

Owns

Loreseeker
Mage will always shoot the direction he is facing if he can't "see" any enemies. As you pointed out, doorways can be problematic but this also happens around narrow hallways, usually in caves. Sometimes it'll look like nothing's in the way of targeting but the game decides that there is something blocking the view, I found this happened mostly in diagonal cave corridors. I don't think I've ever had my mage target an enemy through a wall even when they are visible (though I've had spells hurt enemies through walls on occasion).

Indeed, mage will also always target the closest enemy, this can be a problem if you intend to attack one enemy then another suddenly moves close by and you switch targets accidentally. Helps to clear the room first to avoid this happening or be really careful with your positioning. Especially annoying in areas with fast respawns like ghosts, spiders, and certain Ark rooms.

user95

LOL, yup it can be frustrating ...No!!! Don't shoot at that one shoot at the one with only a fraction of life left.... :-D . It's really frustrating when you've been wearing some one down then you get mobbed and now start shooting at the mob. Hoorah for aoe spells.

Hmm, gonna watch for furniture etc and note the effect.