3 rings of the Star Traveller ... Ark RNG

Owns

Loreseeker
So I've been running Ark for Automated Gloves, no luck so far but I ended up finding another 2 rings of the star traveller! (I have 3 now). And you can also see I found another 2 nanocarbon scalpels and 2 tesla emitters. This is from two runs.
Anyone else have this experience in Ark where it seems the RNG will drop the same item multiple times in a single run rather than having an even distribution? I remember in one run I found 3-4 Mallets.. in a single run!

Bad RNG?

Attachments

• RingofStarTravellerx3.jpg
    RingofStarTravellerx3.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 1,082

VDX_360

Staff member
Owns":3r9hqi0p said:
No, just a RNG that does random things. Some items might have a higher drop rate, and that combined with the randomness of a RNG, will produce, well, random results.

Xen

Loreseeker
I like the rings because of the Wisdom II attribute, essential to level up Grissenda or Adaon a bit faster.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
RNG is something that works like that: Sometimes you get deluge, sometime you get a very long dry spell.

If you have 10% chance to get something after opening door, if you open door 10 times, it is almost certain you wouldn't have one of that something. :D You'll have more or less. :D

Owns

Loreseeker
Maybe, but the point is the drops don't seem random. Getting too much repetitiveness means there's a bias. If it was drop rates, you'd see more consistency in the drops across runs. But, this is hardly enough data to say for sure whether it's a bad rng or just coincidence.

Not all RNG's are created equal. Some have known biases for example depending on whether the seed is an odd or even number, or when using numbers close to each other. Most 'built-in' rng's like those included as functions in C or other languages for example are known to have biases. I know about this because having a good rng is important in my work and I've read a bit about them. But for something like a game the result is somewhat inconsequential except that you might see behaviour like this on occasion.

VDX_360

Staff member
My current play through has gotten ZERO of those rings.... the beauty of randomness.