Duplicate a game file

Owns

Loreseeker
Wish it were possible to make a duplicate of a game. I know you can back things up and then import them, but it backs up and imports all the saves at the same time. It would be nice if I could choose a specific folder to import or duplicate. That way if I have different games on different devices (which I do... nevermind why haha), I can put them together in one device. Or also if I want to duplicate a game so I could then branch into different paths/builds from a particular point (rather than start all over from a new game), I could.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Well, you can export EK.bak.

Then, this file is zip file (change bak to zip), and it contains zip file folders with numbers, which represent save file slot. You can take these folders out, or put them back in, but keep actual slots in same place (i.e. don't change dir 1 into dir 3 as an example, as game saves slot position also within directory).

I guess this is something you're asking about.

Owns

Loreseeker
Ah! This is indeed helpful, but if I'm understanding correctly I would then be able to say merge saves from different devices into one "bak" file, as long as the games I want to merge occupy different slots. So this wouldn't work then if say I want to copy a game from slot 1 to another slot, say slot 10?

EDIT: Indeed, I tried copying a game to a different slot and ended up with ... no games haha. Then I tried again and the game crashed. Had to restore to the original.

Owns

Loreseeker
Since each 'game' has 4 save slots within it (not counting auto-save and quick-save slots), I guess it's manageable to 'branch off' by saving different branches in different slots within the same game. It's just too easy for that to get confusing and accidentally overwrite something. Being able to duplicate to different a save slot would be a convenient feature if it isn't too much to ask.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
This is almost impossible to do.

Save game structure still follows its original design, when EK was going to be a quasi-roguelike without any save function (except sleeping at the inn) so I never designed the data for being duplicated. A "slot 2 save" will only work on its proper slot, etc. This is not something I can change now without great risks.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Owns":vkud39zn said:
but if I'm understanding correctly I would then be able to say merge saves from different devices into one "bak" file, as long as the games I want to merge occupy different slots.
Well, I'm not exactly sure what you want to achieve and why.

But, what you can do is have something like "data bank" of saved games (i.e. save slots) from different devices and you can exchange them between devices, by manual manipulation of save slot content.

You can take save slot 1 from device A, put it in save slot 1 on device B (keeping other save slots intact) and also, before you do that, you can save slot 1 that was originally on device B, thus saving it for future use.

Or, to say it a bit differently, now you can have 10 save slots, i.e. ten games (characters, of whatever you'd call it). But, with this save file manipulation you can have as many as you want, keep them in some place on your HDD (or SSD :D) and exchange it as needed.

So, you can keep and play more than 10 games, actually, with this you can play as many as you want games, only they need to be in certain slots, i.e. you must keep their directory names same forever.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Yes I know that problem. I have a warrior with speed and 2h build. I found a workaround (1 year ago) and I just use the additional save slots to play both with one save slot. It's not perfect but it works. ;)