Star Wars Ep. 8 The Last Jedi

VDX_360

Staff member
Darth Vader suffered from the limited special effects at the time.... And that's sidestepping the entire scandal about the actors that played Darth Vader....

phaolo

Loreseeker
Glass Cannon":35b66dit said:
same crew but then 30 to 40 years older..... that would me a grandpa vs grandpa hoverwheelchair battle.... so there is a moment that you need to chance crew
Nobody wanted the same old crew again.
I would have liked a good new story with good new characters.
What I got was a weird mashup with an atrocious script.

Therefore the new generation starwars fans i don't hear complaine about the new movies...
They probably don't complain about the Transformers movies either..

And to give a example of remakes... the startrek series
ST1 -> quite boring reboot, but many people loved it. The alt-dimension Spock was a poor trick to add a cameo.. I would have preferred without it.
ST2 -> I liked this, instead. The previously missing chemistry between new-Kirk and new-Spock was fixed. The plot was still full of holes, however.
ST3 -> I barely remember this, it was quite uninteresting.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I thought I had escaped watching this, but friends are going tomorrow and I'll have to go, I guess.

The good thing is my expectatives are so low that I'll probably not be disappointed.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Is it really that hard to write a decent script? :mrgreen:

As in,

If the "heroes" had not been there, the whole rebellion would have escaped to this "mysterious planet" as planned. Their actions lead to the rebellion losing 99.9% of their people, equipment and resources, and Luke sacrificing himself to let this .1% escape. Not that anybody cares or points this out. "Yay, we're rebels! We fight! Nobody in the galaxy answers our call, we're just a dozen people, but we have all we need!"

A couple good twists, a couple good action scenes, decent visuals, and I kind of liked Luke in the ending. The rest is completely nonsensical and boring.

Just a few that come to mind: How do "bombers" "drop" bombs in zero-G, instead of launching missiles? if they were escaping, why they had ready and deployed a large and slow bombing squad? How can a single X-wing destroy every single anti-figther turrent in a dreadnought, what are those turrets good for? Who was this Snoke guy anyways and where was he when episodes 4-6 took place? How can they track through hyperspace? How do the "heroes" know how they are tracked through hyperspace? How do they know how to disable a tracking system that nobody knew could exist five minutes before? Why does the Empire allow people to come and go off the fleet they are pursuing? Why don't they keep pressing the attack with tie-figthers, if they were actually destroying the rebel cruisers and killed most of their command and x-wings? How could Luke, the guy who turned Vader, be such as retard as to be tempted to kill his nephew in his sleep? If Luke had actually decided to "go away and die", why did he leave a map? How can ghost-Yoda cast lightnings? if jedi ghosts can do that why don't they kill the bad guys? Why is Rey's capsule allowed to approach Snoke's ship, and not destroyed? Why did the commander pinkhair stay on the ship exactly instead of fleeing? Can't droids pilot it? If a ship at lightspeed can destroy a whole fleet, why don't they fight battles like that, with lightspeed missiles/suicide robot ships? Or at least, why didn't they suicide-launch one of their three cruisers that way, instead of just letting them destroy it? Why do they save the beasts and abandon the slave-children? Why every male character in the movie is a retard, a douchebag, or useless (except last 5 minutes of Luke)? Why don't Rei and Kylo use their force powers in the big melee fight vs the guards? What was the point of the "quest to find the codebreaker" which lasts 1 hour and ends up not resolving anything? How could Finn and Rose be the only people standing in that hangar when it explodes, considering they were surrounded by 10000 troopers about to execute them? Since when can the little ball-droid kill dozens of enemies and pilot an AT-ST? isn't he a repair droid?

And, really, I don't go on because of the time it'd take. I don't think there were 3 straigth minutes in the movie without a jaw-dropping idiocy breaking my suspension of disbelief, as opposed to the 2-3 silly goofs that would be acceptable in an action movie.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Well, latest Hollywood blockbusters (or how to call them?) are so full of holes in logic, story, that I just accept it as it is and usually just don't watch them. Now I'm more into series, they have less story holes (but not necessary) and all in all are better.

I watched E8, the most troubling thing is, why don't they use computers? It is "fetish" for them, they use robots instead, but anyway, there's a lot of things to be changed to reach some level of believability.

What I see when I watch movies like this is great visuals and very bad plots filled with logic holes. Thing is, today people like that. Or maybe not, movies "live" for so short time it may be sign that people don't like it.

Xen

Loreseeker
Imagination and cinematics/graphics without the logic is the new trend nowadays :(

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Actually, this trend is long time with movies. This is why I prefer series, they last longer, so writers need to develop better stories, better plots and better develop characters. Only problem with series is that they are made with less money.

For example, Game of Thrones sometimes look a bit cheap compared to some movies, but plot is vastly superior to almost any movie there is.

Duck123

Loreseeker
The only part I liked was the ending scene with Luke the rest of it was either confusing, boring, random, or made no sense
for example how does leia fly! How does yoda shoot lightning, and why was Ky lo ren just like “ok I’m going to kill everyone I work for”