General discussion on programming RPG game

Ivan the Immigrant

Well, I don't know how to start this thread. I wanted to start a chit-chat kind of thread regarding basic concepts in programming RPG game. This thread was meant for begginers and those who know nothing about that, like myself.:)

Actually I did some programming but it was really long time ago. But I am totally unfamiliar with how to make RPG. Yes I could go around internet and learning. However, one thing that I have learned is that one should never do things by himself. There are lot of things that others already done and someone who starts with programming definitely should learn from others.

Since I don't know anything about RPG programming I will just open this thread and maybe someone pops in with some advice or tip.

Everyone is welcome in this thread and although I ment this as easy going chit-chat thread I don't want thread to be trolled. So only serious discussion here please.

Since game programming became really complex this days for the very beggining it would be good to revive some basic concepts of old RPGs...

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Well I know a lot about things NOT to do :D

RPGs are likely the most difficult kind of game to develop, as there's lots of dependencies and interconnections, plus they require a design complex enough to keep the player busy and interested in mechanics for a long time. That's why every RPG, historically, has been plagued by bugs.

abstractsense

Loreseeker
For 2D games I think the biggest barriers have fallen down over the past few years -- graphics and sound assets. There is a lot of free artwork out there these days, so getting a game up and running (on a single platform) is as easy as it's ever been. Games are long-term projects if you're a solo developer, and sometimes even if you're not. It takes a lot of focus and willpower to keep your attention over such a long time, as I'm sure David can attest! :cool:

The_Librarian

Take a shufty at the BASIC listing for The Valley here : https://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/fraser.char ... index.html

It will give you a basic idea on the complexity of an RPG. Note that the Valley does not offer NPC's or fancy quests - it is just a basic RPG with you, static monsters and static treasure, but it is a good way to see how it all fits together.

Once mastered, it can be expanded on by adding NCP's etc.