The most difficult RPG you ever played?

Haplo

I honestly think final Fantasy tactics is one of the hardest RPG's iv played. I love both turn based combat and grid based combat games, but the amount of detail put into the level system in that game is unreal. Advantages for raised/lower elevation adds something even more difficult. It is the only final Fantasy game iv ever played and not beaten.

ShadowJack

Re we talking Video game or paper and pencil type rpgs.
Paper and pencil wise I would say the Amber rpg.
Video game wise Traveller.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I hadn't played a game in almost a year, but recently started Divinity Original Sin (Enhanced Edition) in the maximum difficulty (Tactician Mode). It is absolutely great, very recommended. Round one, one of the enemies charms your tank, an enemy archer fires an explosive arrow and your whole party is half-health and burning. Lovely :D

ClockworkGhost

Hey, did anyone else ever play the pen and paper RPG called 'Universe'? It had this utterly insane gravity effects table - every planet had a gravity level and every player, creature, and NPC had a gravity effects modifier based on the gravity of their homeworld. As a result, you had to calculate the effects of every action for every individual participant every time anyone wanted to do something. The book keeping was utterly ridiculous!

Another cool yet extremely infuriating game was 'Paranoia' knowing how to play was a treasonous act punishable by execution. You had six clones, effectively six lives, and as some weapons had bigger blast radiuses than ranges you went through the lives pretty damn fast!

tay

Call of cthulhu. Everyone goes insane or dies eventually, even the lesser minions are deadly and the human followers are often as well armed as the pc's. Even learning about things can lead to major problems for your character..... paranoia was brilliant though. Funniest rulebooks I ever read.

Snuggles

Id say Divine Divinity was pretty damn tough on hard but id say the "Modz by Laz" version of Diablo 2 is the hardest game ive ever played.