From books to the Big Screen ...

Zarky

One of the most successful book series was written by J. R. R. Tolkien, Lord of the Rings trilogy. The movie trilogy was directed by Peter Jackson and the movies won numerous awards. Then followed up by the Hobbit trio.

What would be your wish list of your favorite book series you would like to see made into a movie?

Zarky

One of my all time favorite book trilogies are the Dragonlance novels ... Dragons of Autumn Twilight, Dragons of Winter Night, and Dragons of Spring Dawning, written by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.

If the right person, Peter Jackson, eh?, got his hands on this trilogy, and worked his magic once again, he can make this a masterful trilogy on the big screen. :D

Dreamcast:
Caramon Majere: Hafthór Júlíus Björnsson (Gregor Clegane, Game of Thrones)
Raistlin Majere: Robert Carlyle (Eragon)
Tanis: Viggo Mortensen (Lord of the Rings)
Lauranna: Emilia Clarke (Game of Thrones)
Riverwind: Jason Momoa (Conan, Game of Thrones)
Tika Waylan: Nathalie Emmanuel (Game of Thrones)
Sturm Brightblade: Manu Bennett (Spartacus, Shannara Chronicles)
Tasslehoff Burfoot: Aiden Gillen (Littlefingers in Game of Thrones)
Silverheart: Grahan McTavich (Dwalin in the Hobbit)

Eliadann

I agree with you on Lord of the Rings books. Love them too much, and that´s why I´d throw the movies by Jackson into a bottomless pit.

- Elia

Dasirid

The Wheel of Time series has got to be my #1. It looks like they wont be making movies anytime soon though.

They tried to make a pilot for a tv series but it flopped with the wrong casting and direction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvNYIEN1vIg

The pilot was on FXX last year and it just never took off, bad direction for acting etc.

I personally would love to see a good AAA game based on this!

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Such a complicated thing, to bring a book to screen and please everybody. I didn't like Peter Jackson's middle earth at all, but look at the success he had... that means, the movie *I* wanted, could never exist, because makes less money than the one they did. On the other hand I like Game of Thrones more than the books, at least parts of it.

And this:

http://dariopecarov.com/2015/04/18/asim ... bo-series/

Fills me with anticipation and fear...

Trasd

I guess it's time to chime in! ;)

It's not the big screen, but I like the Dresden Files books and the short-lived TV series.

As far as The Lord of the Rings, they are my favorite books by far; I've read them about 15 times to date. And, even though I'm a purist, I do like the movies (the director's cut only)! :oops: Why? Because, when I watch them, I divorce them from the books. I view them as a different story. I still don't understand why they change certain things in movies so they are completely contradictory to the books, but I've learned to live with it. Like any screen writer could make the story even better, right? BTW, I also like the MMORPG.

Ready for the next one? Yea, I'm 50 years old, and yea, I like Harry Potter! :roll: I like both the books and the movies, basically with the same caveat as The Lord of the Rings above.

Now, here's a bit of trivia: The book Willow was actually written after the movie, not before! It's a pretty good read, too, at least once.

Zarky

Another good series I woukd like to see on ... not so much in the theatre's, but maybe the next big thing after Game of Thrones ... It's a series of novels written by Robert Jordan called the Wheel of Time. I stopped reading after volume 5 because my career choice was all consumeing. But I can see it being the next big series after GoT. :D

Trasd

Eliadann":1o7wno5q said:
Now, if we say from books to the small screen, here´s this jewel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZxTen-RyW0

Much better than Jackson´s hollywood crap, I tell you.

- Elia
I'm not sure most would agree with you on that one! :lol:

It was so poorly received, they never made the second half - it ends at Helms Deep.

Still, when I really need a Middle Earth fix, I just reread the books. I don't think a movie will ever replace my imagination.

Berl

Hi all. One book I recently read and just found out they are making the movie. Ready Player One.. Was a really good read, short but good. Kinda can't wait to see the movie. But you know. They are never as good as the books.