From books to the Big Screen ...

Haplo

The Death Gate Cycle series by Margaret Weise and Tracy Hickman. A seven book series that follows a character Haplo (my namesake) on his journey through different worlds. It would be very difficult to adapt to film but I'd like to see it none the less.

I like the LotR films alot, not as much as the books, but they were a decent retelling of the story in a visual format. It's near impossible to completely retell a novel into a movie and not change anything

Martinbelfast

A really old book . 1973.Come and hunt an earth man. By Philip E. High
15 foot aliens hunting on earth.
Or please please please someone please remake the book .Battle field earth. my favourite book of all time.
The film was so bad . It would be fantastic to be redone true to the book .

Assisi

I'd like to see a good prelude for LOTR : Silmarillion. Don't know if would be best to do it as a movie trilogy or as a tv series.
Also Dune saga (+/- the cycle ending written by Herbert's son) and the Foundation saga. Probably the best wouls be a tv series with very big budgets in order to keep the story true and not cut it too much (which is impossible).
From novels ... I would choose "The Gods Themselves" of Asimov.

Aalandryll

Loreseeker
Simarillion? Dude... That and all the other background tripe released by Christopher Tolkien read like dry history textbooks... As novels they suck... As history texts they are outstanding... But you don't make movies on history texts without needing to flesh out 70% of the content...

I loved learning the Lore... But they were not written in such a way as to entrance the normal reader... They were notes and background for the world inside JRR's head... A way to keep track of it all... They weren't really ever meant to be published as such...

Assisi

Well ... depends on how much imagination you have ...
A very good scenarist can transform the "history textbooks" into a masterpiece. The rest is there ... Very nice cosmogony, good vs evil, big fights, heroes and antiheroes, etc.
And as most of those that have seen LOTR Trilogy never read the books, there would be many that would watch Silmarillion movies/ series.
Regarding the need to flesh out 70% of the books content ... look at Game of Thrones and it's a succes.

All the best!!!

Soullamp

Re: From books to the Big Screen ...The Gap Series

While there are numerous choices from fantasy, including the The Sword of Truth series, I would first like to see the Stephen Donaldson Gap series or White Gold Wielder series done.