It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:42 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Age of Empires 2 EK Map
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:58 pm 

I was wondering if there were any people on this forum who have ever played Age of Empires 2 (Popular, old RTS game), and if enough people cared I've decided I might make a scenario for it based on the factions in Exiled Kingdoms.
Currently my thinking was: Blue player - Varsilia, Red player - Mercia, Green played - Varanarri, Yellow player - Ilmara, Teal player - Thuram, Purple Player - Friguld + Corsairs, Grey player - (Not sure), Orange player - Orc Kingdoms.
I've started an entirely new thread for this 1. Because I want to see if other people play AoE2 and have a good ol' chat about it and 2. Because I would love to have ideas and suggestions given to me about things to do or add in the scenario, maybe even from people who don't actually play the game but still have an idea.

Finally, for people who have no idea what AoE2 is and might want to give suggestions: it's a relatively simple RTS game from 1998 set in the medieval era (Perfect fit for EK in terms of technology) where each game consists of a maximum or 8 players who either build armies and fight in teams, or develop an Empire and play a more calm, tactical style of Diplomacy gameplay (That's what this map would be like).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm 
EK Developer, Admin

That would be awesome. A HoMM3 scenario would also be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 pm 

I'm totally in, been a while since I last played AoE, and that mod would make me play it again !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:19 am 
Loreseeker

ooo AOE , oooold days . It was my first exposure to this stuff. I played it original and then its different expansion packs

it can be a nice mixture with EK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm 

So I finally got round to spending about an hour designing a draft for the map. Unfortunately, I think I was a bit too ambitious at the start and areas like the Thuram glaciers and Fogas were unnaturally large, but as I moved further south (and to much more important areas) I started running out of space and things got very squished.
If I were to have another proper crack at it, it might have to be on the 'Giant' map size to give me a bit moe space on freedom, which could lead to some lag if I ever actually come to play it due to the large mapsize. I'll try anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:18 am 

That doesn't sounds good at all, it acutally might depend on how much RAM you (other ppl) have, what your current now?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:42 pm 

Oh yeah... a HoMM3 scenario. I actually had to force myself not to install the game and the map editor right away, as I'm already behind schedule at my "day job".

That being said, a question to the community: which factions would you suggest for each kingdom? Obviously, Mercia would be Castle, which leaves Rampart for Varsilia (not that bad, kinda fits with all the foresty areas). Conflux or Tower would definitely suit Thuram, but what about Ilmara? Again, Tower or Castle would be about as good as it gets, but still not good enough.

Then again, it doesn't have to be strictly one faction for each player (kingdom).

As for smaller factions, I'd make Friguld a Fortress (neutral alignment, swampy jungly areas), place Dungeons where the Maze of Lamth and Sunken Citadel are, and maybe an Inferno at the Ashen Cape. The Orc Kingdom of course would be Stronghold, and the last unclaimed faction, which is Necropolis, goes to some of the major Tolassian tombs.

The plot could be about the Orc Kingdom launching a full-scale assault on Varannar, or the Undead rising to destroy humanity and establish eternal peace in death, or maybe some internal feud, or a whole new external threat.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:19 am 
EK Developer, Admin

weirdie wrote:
Your thoughts?

If you make it I'll most definitely play it!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:44 pm 

You sure david? Hmmm posted in april 1... hmmmm