MIRROR WORLD OF EXILED TALES

Asherun Storba

Translator
Here's my Christmas gift for all EK lovers. It's only the beginning of something bigger (I hope:). David has read it and I have his blessing to continue (thanks David).

MIRROR WORLD
OF
EXILED TALES

TALE I

LANNEGAR

PRELUDE
The wooden cabin entangled with deadweed ivy was filled with semi-transparent greenish light. Two shapeless yet material figures were sitting at a heavy oaken table and discussing grave matters of Varannar.
Suddenly a heavy quake shook the cabin, the two figures looked at each other, analyzing, suspecting, disbelieving, unsure of the future, knowing the quake meant a change - one that might give a new start to the world.
The older figure stood up rapidly and made a few quick steps towards the old dusty bookshelf on the eastern wall of the room. But he didn’t reach the shelf due to the fact that on the floor there was an old vorator bone, lying there because it fell from the table during the quake and the figure stumbled over it, diving head first towards the bookshelf and hitting its base with his forehead. After the painful contact with literature of various sorts a small object fell off the figure's face and rolled towards an open hatch leading to the cellar.
“Did you see where my glass eye had rolled?” an old, grumpy man asked his grandson. “Of the twelve I have, this turquoise one was my favourite. You know, Kiertsu, it reminds me of your mother, but the memory of her is too painful to tell you the story again.”
“I know, grandpa. You told it once and it's enough. I'll always remember."
Both got to their knees and began examining the dusty stone floor, full of cracks and holes. The longer they were searching the more unsettled they were becoming. Losing a glass eye was something grave, no matter what you might think about it. And the old man was very, very afraid. He was well aware of the consequences in case the eye had been shattered.
After a very long time of searching they finally found it in the cellar. Yet their faces went pale as they saw what was left of the eye – hundreds of shards.
“Tish!” exclaimed the old grumpy man.
“Indeed, grandpa Tol…” said in reply his grandson Kiertsu Der Pu.
“Quickly, bring me ‘Incantations part iv” by Mikeus Alud Ground.” Said Tol.
Kiertsu rushed upstairs to the bookshelf and nervously began scanning the titles.
“Yes, here it is."
With the book in his hand he made it quickly downstairs and handed the book to his grandpa.
Tol began to hurriedly search the book for the spell that could help him reconstruct his eye and thus regain shape he has wanted to restore since the moment he was deshaped by The Three.
‘Ha! I have it!" exclaimed Tol and started to read with a steady voice:

“TOUCH OF DEATH,
ICY BREATH,
EMPTY HEAD,
YOU’RE NOT DEAD.”

The moment Tol finished reciting the words, the shards of his eye flashed a red light and disappeared and Kiertsu took on the shape of a person. Not exactly, to be precise, because you could see a person being able to see through him at the same time.
“Now my fate is in the hands of others.” said Tol.
“Do you think it can be done?” asked Kiertsu.
“Maybe, who knows, but it's my only chance to regain shape.”
“Bear in mind there’s one more thing that can aid you.”
“Yes, I’m aware of it. All in due time.” answered Tol with a smile.
“I can tell you’re up to something nasty, grandpa.”
“It’s not the time to discuss far-reaching plans now. The only thing that worries me is the fact that I cannot intervene. Yet you can.”
“Yes, grandpa. I know my role in the coming events. You’ve been preparing me for hundreds of years and I think I’m ready.”