Share your script / mapping experience

Sudren

Translator
Hello everyone,

I'm really fan of Exiled Kingdoms, and, this game is inspiring me.
I would like to learn, if I am able, to create my own game (even if it takes 10 years).

I love these kinds of game 2D isometrique RPG (I was Ultima Online player) ,I already begin a tuto in scripting with Java (to create Apps), and as soon as I know how to script, I will begin a tuto in creating a mobile application (I already have the tuto).

What I would like to know, is, if some of you have experiences, videos, tutoriels to share about creating a similar application as EK.

I downloaded Flare, and Tiled, and I started to deal with it, understanding a little how it works. If someone have something to share about editing maps with Tiled, you're welcome here ! :)

Sudren

Translator
Alan_SP":3pwswazz said:
Well, David has the most experience how to code EK. :D

Here you can find info about this process:

viewtopic.php?t=856
viewtopic.php?t=854

NICE ! :)

I saw the first link, but not the second one, it was interresting ! :)

I'm sure David is the man of the situations, but maybe another users have some interesting things to share.

I already have some basics into scripting (As I said, in Ultima Online game, with private server).
Some scripts (items, for example) are a lot similar, and that is good for me.
But, for the map making, I'm really lost, and it's for me, a part I would like to practice.

I tried with the flare tilesets and "Tiled" program, but, it's really hard !!!

And, in the flare map folder, the exension is .txt for the map.
When I try to make one with Tiled, it's .tmx ... The content is quite similar, but I can't modify an existing map from Flare with Tiled, the extention (txt) is not supported.
Some advice ?

Question to David :
Do you use "Tiled" to craft your maps ?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I use Tiled for some things, but also other tools specific for EK. However most of the "beef" of what happens in the game is not in tiled maps nor in scripts, but in Java code.

Scripting is not the same thing as coding or building a whole project from scratch. Given your background I recommend you the Unity Engine, it is hands down the best option for those without experience as programmer, and the amount of examples and tutorials is great. It is also free for small indie developers. And it's not just something for beginners, it's currently one of the most used engines by studios. Wasteland 2 or Bard's Tale were made with Unity. My next project will likely be done in Unity.

In a few months of dedication, following tutorials, etc you will be capable of building games. Or to start building them, anyways ;)

If instead of resorting to an engine you still want to do it the "EK way" and do everything yourself from scratch, you need to train yourself as a programmer first. Learn Java and build some applications, step by step. It's going to take you a long time, I don't see anyone that hasn't been programming for a decade pulling off a large project like an openworld 2D RPG. But as long as you find the process rewarding and/or fun, then it's ok.

Sudren

Translator
Thank you for answering.
I learnt the last few days that coding and scripting are a lot (lot lot lot) different ... hehe

I'm studying, but, there is always something harder to know.

I'm trying the Unity Engine, thanks for the tip ;)

I want to learn Java, to know how to code games, any games, but my goal is to know how to create a game like EK.
Firstly not an open world as yours, one map, then two maps should be a good plan.
developping the game for my own knowledge (and not to publish it), and then, trying to make it bigger.

Sudren

Translator
DavidBVal":5540a6h1 said:
If instead of resorting to an engine you still want to do it the "EK way" and do everything yourself from scratch

Did you start from nothing ? Or did you have some code already (maybe from Flare or else ?)

Another question ... How do you try your modifications ?
I use Eclipse, and in the tutoriel, there is a "run" button that launch the Java Project.
Is it the same for you ?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Sudren":3lpnrwow said:
DavidBVal":3lpnrwow said:
If instead of resorting to an engine you still want to do it the "EK way" and do everything yourself from scratch

Did you start from nothing ? Or did you have some code already (maybe from Flare or else ?)

Another question ... How do you try your modifications ?
I use Eclipse, and in the tutoriel, there is a "run" button that launch the Java Project.
Is it the same for you ?

The code is 100% mine, from Flare I only use open sourced graphics (I think it's a C project, not Java, and a very different game anyways). I use Libgdx library but only for the ability to build for iOS, I don't use most of its utilities. And yes I use Eclipse.

Sudren

Translator
Ok ! Thank you David ! :)
I think, my ambition are bigger than my capacities, but I'll try to learn and do my possible :)

Xen

Loreseeker
I like this topic :) programming in Java is an edge aside from the Cobol programming in the past and I also want to see a game made by David using Unity engine. I also tried other games in the Playstore, they utilized the Unity engine and almost everybody love the graphics plus the small size of the game(it doesn't eat too much storage space) like Dungeon Conquest and Ravensword.

I want to see Andoria in a more detailed and customizable way(especially the character creation, armors, and weapons). As for game mechanics I really like how David think, EK for example is the best game in the playstore if you're going to ask offline RPG gamers out there because it is not boring and mindless game, there are always reasons to play the game and will definitely comeback from time to time. More powers to you David and to people with this kind of enthusiasm.

kwill

Loreseeker
DavidBVal":202zofuc said:
The code is 100% mine, from Flare I only use open sourced graphics (I think it's a C project, not Java, and a very different game anyways). I use Libgdx library but only for the ability to build for iOS, I don't use most of its utilities. And yes I use Eclipse.
Dude...I've used Eclipse to mess around with and create custom versions of some open source Android games. I have to say, you have totally CRUSHED IT writing your own engine for this game.

Thanks for all the previous info you shared. EK is very inspiring to me as a career developer who has never actually built a game from scratch!