The Legend of Quan (Storytelling) See first post for guidelines.

Board Troll

The purpose of the story is to keep you entertained and see where our collaborative additions to the story take us.

3 rules:

1. You cannot bring harm to the main character (Quan) that ends the story.

2. After your initial addition, you must wait for 1 other person to add to the story before you can post again.

3. Please keep the additions to the story 10 paragraphs or less.

The character is a Swampdonkey.

It's name is Quan.

The setting is Exiled Kingdoms.

The story begins, naturally, in the Trollfens.

You guys take it from here.

Any post not actively participating in the thread will be deleted.

feldon

Loreseeker
Re: Forum Game for waiting for updates. (Storytelling) See first post for guidelines.

After a long day of serving the Great Gurgurth, Quan leaves the lair and is shocked at the horrors he sees. Every troll, woman, and beast slaughtered. Bodies left to decompose and add to the very swamp they had called home.

Panicked, he races to his family, holding out hope they may have survived. It was a naïve hope as the brutal savage that had wrought such destruction was as thorough as he was merciless.

As he stood over the lifeless bodies of his wife and children, Quan swore he would not rest until the Fens were safe and his family avenged.

Board Troll

Re: Forum Game for waiting for updates. (Storytelling) See first post for guidelines.

Fortunately, for Quan, his "wife and kids" we're just a stuffed burlap sack, mishappenly shaped into the rough form of a swampdonkey and 3 half chewed bamboo sprouts.

All gifts from Grunchella, the sweet little troll whom he had saved from being murdered by that human adventurer six weeks prior. Had the same cruel human come back? Looking down at the charred and dismembered body of that once sweet child he named as a friend, he feared it was so.

Why was he spared? How had he not heard a single scream? Was the evil one waiting for him, hiding in some shadow, laughing inwardly at his cries of despair?

A movement near the treeline drew his attention. There, directly beneath the setting sun which cast shades of amber and crimson upon the gleaming black blade in it's hand stood a woman.

Her long auburn hair danced in the wind as she looked up, a medallion of The Three upon her forehead set directly above her brow. She smiled, a trace of sadness flashed within those piercing green eyes. She spoke,"I am Trinity."

Don Da Cruz

Quan froze in bewilderment. "Is this the one responsible for such bloodshed," he quickly thought to himself. To his amazement she replied "Yes", as if she heard him clear as day. Trinity continued to stare hard at Quan, deep into his soul, his mind, she remained emotionless and silent as she gazed upon him.

Before Quan could process his next thought, she spoke. "I am the one responsible for what has happened. I have been sent on a directive for The Three. My objective was to find you. Quan, you have been chosen by The Three to set out on an important journey. You and very few other beings have a unique ability that allow you to complete this quest. As every journey for a chosen one must begin in despair, you now hopefully understand what has happened here".

Trinity swiftly moves towards Quan. Her weapon sheathed in a fluid motion as she unfurls a scroll from her tunic. As she passes by Quan, she slips the scroll into his hand along with a medallion of The Three. She vanishes back into the tree line in a blur. All is silent, the wind barely blows, Quan can feel a great sadness set over the ruins of his old home.

Quan realizes he is still clutching the scroll and medallion firmly in his hand. He places the medallion in his pocket and begins to slowly unfold the scroll. "Of course.....", he mutters to himself. The scroll is written in some form of Ilmaran script. Unfortunately for him, the only Elder in the Trollfens that could decipher the script, was slain in the massacre. Quan thinks to himself, "What do I do now?"

feldon

Loreseeker

Believing this matter had surpassed his talents, the only thing Quan could think to do was seek advice from his King, the Great Gurgurth. Walking the halls of stone he had trudged so many times during his time in service to the King, he began to notice something odd. Mixed in with the usual blood of their meals and prisoners was a liquid Quan had seen too much of today: troll blood. Passing the bodies of his fallen brethren, he came to the Great Chamber of Champions. Even the sacred hall of the troll kings, where every great leader of his kind had ruled proudly now sat empty, nothing disturbing the sound of silence. The mighty Gurgurth and his kingsguard had fought bravely but were slain all the same. And so Quan was once again alone.

What was the use of going on? He alone could not face anything so powerful, and even if he wanted to, there was no way he could figure out what to do with some stupid medallion. In his anger and desperation, he grabbed the pendant from his satchel, and reached back to hurl it deep into the cave. Suddenly he realized he had seen the symbol on the medallion before, once when he was asked to deliver something to the Troll archives. He raced through the empty caves, hoping he could recall where exactly the library was. For once today, luck was on his side as the secret door hung ajar. Before him was the collective knowledge of the troll race, recounting a time when more of the world was swamp and the troll empire was vast and splendid.

Quan poured through the shelves, looking for anything that looked the language on the scroll or matched the symbol. For hours he looked, time passing without a break or thought of little else, until he finally found an old, dusty tome. It practically fell apart at his clumsy touch, and many of the pages had faded beyond recognition. Trying as carefully as his hooved feet could manage, he turned the pages until he noticed something he could identify; a map of town he had heard spoken of, with giant mud houses surrounded by water, and on the map the symbol scratched over one of the mud houses. He ripped the page from book and left the library. Nu Grand, he thought. I must travel to Nu Grand. Leaving the lair, the sky dark, he realized just how hungry and tired he was, so he returned home.

Quan ate, tucked his sack 'children' into bed, and then just laid restlessly as he pondered his strange day and the journey that awaited him in the morning. When he awoke, he heard the clatter of pans and the familiar crashes he had risen to his entire life. He exited the hut, stunned to see all his friends going about their usual business. Shocked, he asked a pair of trollings "How are you here? Everyone was dead yesterday. I saw the king murdered in his own throne room". The trollings only laughed, and shouted "Crazy donkey, stay out the mead".

Had it all been a dream? Had he only imagined meeting the strange lady? It had all seemed so real. Figuring it was so outlandish it had to have been a mean induced dream, Quan returned to his hut, and stopped dead in his tracks. There on his table was the medallion...

Board Troll

Quan was taken aback, how was this possible? That was definitely the same amulet from the night before. As he stared at it, the room began to blur and the amulet began to glow, it's golden hue magnified by the pure light eminating from within it. He closed his eyes. Was this really happening? It all seemed surreal. He opened his eyes. He was standing on the edge of a vast chasm, it's depths impossible to discern. "The evil in this world is vast. If each evil act committed was one drop of water, it would fill this chasm, overflow it's banks, and drown every living creature in this world."

Quan swallowed hard, not sure where the voice was coming from. He closed his eyes and prepared to turn around to see who was speaking to him. Opening his eyes, he spun and found himself on a beach. White sand beneath his hooves, the sound of the surf crashing against the shore echoed around him. "There is also great good in this world. For each kind act committed is but a grain of sand upon which you now stand."

The sun was setting over the water, and the beautiful sight was unlike anything he'd ever seen. "What does this have to do with me?" Quan blurted out. "You have lived within the Trollfens, surrounded by evil beings, but you see the good within each one. You may not know it, but you magnify that good and are slowly changing them from vile creatures, to compassionate ones. Have you noticed that you're the only swampdonkey there? They've eaten the others Quan, yet they spare you. The little Trollette, who gave you that burlap sack stuffed with grass, and the half chewed bamboo shoots, that is the very first gift any troll has ever given to anyone. So, you see, you are special. You have the power to bring change unlike any this world has ever known. Will you accept our call? We are The Three. Will you accept our light and carry it forth into the world to vanquish the darkness?"

"We have decided to give you a most unique opportunity, to bring your countenance upon the world. Another form you can instantly use at anytime, but you will have to choose, and choose wisely Quan, for the fate of the Realms may depend upon your choices. The first choice, is a Human Cleric. The second choice is an Orcish Rogue. Your final choice is a Troll Warrior."

"Choose wisely Quan and choose now."

Don Da Cruz

Quan pondered very hard about the choice he had to make. "Can I choose at a later time?" he asked. "No, you must choose now and choose quickly. Your calling is of such importance that you cannot affors to dawdle over decisions Quan", the voice replied. Quan's brow began to sweat as he though about what to do. "Hurry Quan, the fate of the kingdoms rests with you." "I pick.....to be.....a....Troll Warrior! If what you say is true and I, a swampdonkey, can change trolls for the better then maybe I can get the humans to no longer fear my troll friends!" "Very well Quan", the voice answered, " Your alternate form will be that of Bloort Radug, Troll Warrior and Commander of Gurgurth's Fens Brigade."

"Whenever you need to become your twin form, ask to The Three for transformation and blessings, good luck Quan." At that instant, Quan blacked out into a deep sleep. He woke up a few hours later and felt no dofferent than before. A thought started to burn in his mind, " Nu Grand.....Nu Grand.....Nu Grand." What is this "Nu Grand" and why is it so special? Then it came to him clear as day, "New Garand"! Quan was amazed by his ability to decipher the information, but did not question it since he has received instruction from The Three.

"I must go to New Garand. Getting ready will be the easy part. Blending in and knowing where to go is going to be the hard part." Quan took care of his sack children and ate a meal. With no belongings other than the mysterious medallion, Quan said goodbye to his family and left for New Garand. Quan made his way to the edge of the Trollfens with ease, once he arrived at the border he had to decide which was the best route to take. "Which way do I go from here?", he asked himself. "Do I go East to Sydarun or North towards the Jabal Hills?"

Mpphoenix

Quan thought at the cross road for minutes that turned to hours. He had rarely felt so lost. He knew the way, and yet, it was almost as if some force clouds his mind.
Lost in thought and trying to make a decision Quan failed to notice a human cleric sneaking up behind him.

"Gotcha!' Said the human, jamming a burlap sack over his head. " We don't have to carry any longer brothers. The Three have provided a new way for us."
Upon these words Quan remembered his blessing, and feltnit was the right time. "To the three I pray, hear me and intervene, I require transformation and blessings to aid my task ". For a moment nothing happened, then he felt the sack tear off his now much more sizable head. The human cleric and what he now saw to be another human cleric,(a female) and an male elf rogue, stood shell shocked. The male cleric began to stutter.

" In the name of the three what manner of monster are you shape shifter?" The rogue spoke out first,
"It doesn't matter kill it now before it becomes a Drake!" Flying towards quan the rogue let a cey burst forth and attacked. Quan had been in very few fights before. Nothing like this. His first instinct was to roar, so roar he did. A gut wrenching bellow broke from Quan, and the rogue froze. After catching his breath, only the. Quan spoke. "I have been sent here by the three. I am only a humble servant, but I beg of you to hear my story.

The male cleric stepped forward, in the name of the three we will hear you. I warn you however, if you attack or ambush us in any way the wizards guild will have your entire race slaughtered."
The rogue still shaken spoke up feebly, "I'll do it myself..."
Quan began with his encounters with the three and his troll present. He felt it best to leave out the trollfens for now. He explained he was to be an emissary, an ambassador to the more elegant races of this world.
Finally the female cleric spoke, indeed I feel your words are true, will you allow us to travel with you on your quest? Others may not be so forgiving of your form.

Board Troll

"That would be very much appreciated." Quan said, looking at the trio and wondering what to say next.
"I, ... I have had an intuition that I am to travel New Garand. I do not fully understand my purpose or what The Three require of me, but I've seen my village slaughtered, only to be restored the following morning. I've met with an avatar, I believe, of The Three, she called herself Trinity. She said, I was chosen, but didn't elaborate. Oh, forgive me... I am Quan. Who might....You be?"

The male cleric raised his hand, three fingers extended, thumb touching his pinky in the customary solute as a devotee. His short black hair was kept neatly trimmed with more than a small hint of grey throughout. His eyes were a shade of steel blue, catching the sunlight, they shone with a wisdom that only countless experiences could imbue. "I am David, of Rhoneis. Rather, I was. I have been exiled from my kingdom and am myself on a quest to restore honor to my name."

The woman, raised her hand, symbolizing The Three also. What struck Quan immediately, was her sheer beauty. Even a swampdonkey could not deny it. Outwardly, yes, she was pleasing to behold, but this raw essence seemed to radiate from within her. She gave a curt nod, and spoke softly. "I am Shia, of the northern woods. The Three have called to me in my darkest hour, and I too, serve."

The rogue, dressed in crimson and black leathers, with a set of long daggers who's hilts glowed within the confines of sheathes which were, oddly enough, attached to each forearm looked at Quan with hardset wyes and spoke. "These two may be all overwhelmed by a talking swampdonkey-troll abomination because you mentioned their God, but I ...Quan... am not. You may address me as Nightshade, if you prove to be of service and not needing the attention of my blades, perhaps, someday, I'll give you my name."

Quan sized them up. This was truly another blessing from The Three. "Well met, and I hope to prove valuable to each of you. First though, I must confess, I need to learn how to defend myself." At this, Nightshade's eyes lit up with a smile,"Oh, this is going to be fun!" as he turned to Quan, drawing out his daggers.

Don Da Cruz

Quan's eyes became as large as saucers when he gazed upon the daggers Nightshade was holding. "I've never seen such weaponry!", Quan stammered. Both daggers had blades made from the finest bluesteel found in Varsilia, they glowed with a teal aura. "They are a unique set of weapons", explained Nightshade, "They are the only pair of their kind. Expertly crafted and then enchanted with the most powerful frost magic you could imagine!"

Nightshade began to move towards Quan in a flurry of strikes learned only by the rogues of the Seventh House. "I have no weapon to defend myself with! Even if I did, I would not know how to wield it!", said Quan as he began to take a step backwards. Nightshade kept advancing towards Quan, his strikes gaining momentum and becoming increasingly intricate. Quan still backpedaled away from Nightshade, not knowing what to do. Suddenly, Quan tripped backwards over a tuft of grass. Nightshade was on top of Quan, both daggers resting softly across Quans throat. "Your first lesson of defending yourself is to watch where you are going", explained Nightshade, "a weapon will do you no good if you cannot stay on two feet!" "But I have four feet, I am a swampdonkey and all", said Quan. "Combat has no time for funny jokes donkey, you know what the meaning of my lesson is!", Nightshade sneered. He allowed Quan up, who promptly dusted himself off.

"It's time to move", said David," If we want to be somewhere safer to make camp, we must hurry." Shia nodded in agreement. "We were just getting warmed up", said Nightshade, while Quan stared blanky into the distance. "You will have plenty time to teach master Quan how to defend himself, Nightshade, for now we have more pressing matters." Shia turned to Quan. "Master Quan, you will be safe under our guard for now but it is expected that you learn from Nightshade how to fend for yourself. Nightshade, you will be respectful of Quan and teach him at his capacity." Nightshade grudgingly agreed. "Sir David, please, lead the way to our next encampment", Shia ordered. "For Arbenos!", was his reply. The four ambled along the cobblestone road towards Sydarun, wondering what lay ahead on their exciting adventure.