It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:30 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Erebus RPG and Flare RPG
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

I was browsing other rpg games and i came accross this game called Erebus RPG, idk if you're aware of this David but this game has an actual exiled kingdom contents on it. One of player in review even mention that it's indeed a rip-off of EK.

Mod note: Thread titled to avoid disparaging statement.

Post subject: Re: Exiled ripoff
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:21 pm 
Loreseeker

The description, however, says:
Quote:
Note for people who have played Exiled Kingdoms: Both Erebus and Exiled Kingdoms legally use free textures from Flare RPG: http://flarerpg.org . Also see from Exiled Kingdoms themselves: http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/ek_credits.html . Neither games are a copy of each other.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:30 pm 

Multiple games using the same graphic base can confuse players that aren't aware of the open source aspects. That being said, be mindful of what random people in a review state about copyright infringement, rumor spreading causes headaches.

My personal opinion is Exiled Kingdoms is one of the better if not best applications of the Flare RPG project, but by no means does it mean the other games aren't good or are doing thing wrong by using the same open source content.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:14 pm 

Oh that could get confusing... if all games look alike, might space out which one is being played :(

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:41 pm 

Well, I just find this flare game on steam. Same for a mobile one some times ago (just the mobile version of same game ?) and one or two more. But about answering to this post, since I already saw users asking questions on different game projects not related, or sometime almost making a fuss about copyright contents, legislation, or anything confusing player not knowing, the first and only real problem of all to be conscious of, is that most of the time, effectively, people just don't know. THAT is the problem.

Making a fuss on nothing without knowing is a bit pathetic, but, maybe that having the nature of the game and some more obvious explanations and credits to the original work, being it art, engine or anything, displayed on the presentations of such game would be a good idea too, it would at least avoid theses situations plus giving back some fame to the first developer.

Well, open source is always what it is. Open ... I guess. But respect isn't always what it should. In this post, I'm saying nothing else than pointing out the fact there is absolutely no information about Flare on its Steam page and probably on any other platform.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:09 pm 

Flare's website: http://flarerpg.org

IF you'd like to comment on what Flare puts up on it's website, contact Flare.

As for EK, the credits, accesible via in-game main menu, clearly reference open art, Public Domain and the Flare project.
http://exiledkingdoms.com/ek_credits.html

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:17 pm 

Well, if you look at EK's credits, you see that there's nothing left to be explained.

Also, if you actually look at Flare and EK, you'll see that only early EK parts use free (or open source assets), and with time, as David had more money to put into development, there's original EK graphic, which he shared with Clint (Flare).

And, this is only graphic, as all coding, writing, etc. is original David's work, without any relation to Flare.

I understand that today people when they see images think it is everything, without anything behind it, but image is just image so to say, and coding, story, writing, devise world (or game) rules, spells, etc. etc... is different story.

If someone don't know something about copyright and credits on EK's part, it is more of a problem with this particular someone, not that some facts are hidden, or left out unexplained, or something similar.

Simply said, people don't explore EK's credits and think that there's something shady going on, no matter how far from truth that is.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:46 pm 

Per Mark Harman, Developer of Erebus, the game is currently unpublished. Harman states in a Aug. 2018 email " I unpublished it for now due to not having time to work on it."

So we might never get to see a head-to-head comparison of Exiled Kingdom and Erebus.