It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:34 pm 

Hello everyone,

I'm really fan of Exiled Kingdoms, and, this game is inspiring me.
I would like to learn, if I am able, to create my own game (even if it takes 10 years).

I love these kinds of game 2D isometrique RPG (I was Ultima Online player) ,I already begin a tuto in scripting with Java (to create Apps), and as soon as I know how to script, I will begin a tuto in creating a mobile application (I already have the tuto).

What I would like to know, is, if some of you have experiences, videos, tutoriels to share about creating a similar application as EK.

I downloaded Flare, and Tiled, and I started to deal with it, understanding a little how it works. If someone have something to share about editing maps with Tiled, you're welcome here ! :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 pm 

Sudren wrote:
What I would like to know, is, if some of you have experiences, videos, tutoriels to share about creating a similar application as EK.

Well, David has the most experience how to code EK. :D

Here you can find info about this process:

http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=856
http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=854

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:52 pm 

Alan_SP wrote:
Well, David has the most experience how to code EK. :D

Here you can find info about this process:

viewtopic.php?t=856
viewtopic.php?t=854

NICE ! :)

I saw the first link, but not the second one, it was interresting ! :)

I'm sure David is the man of the situations, but maybe another users have some interesting things to share.

I already have some basics into scripting (As I said, in Ultima Online game, with private server).
Some scripts (items, for example) are a lot similar, and that is good for me.
But, for the map making, I'm really lost, and it's for me, a part I would like to practice.

I tried with the flare tilesets and "Tiled" program, but, it's really hard !!!

And, in the flare map folder, the exension is .txt for the map.
When I try to make one with Tiled, it's .tmx ... The content is quite similar, but I can't modify an existing map from Flare with Tiled, the extention (txt) is not supported.
Some advice ?

Question to David :
Do you use "Tiled" to craft your maps ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:17 am 
EK Developer, Admin

I use Tiled for some things, but also other tools specific for EK. However most of the "beef" of what happens in the game is not in tiled maps nor in scripts, but in Java code.

Scripting is not the same thing as coding or building a whole project from scratch. Given your background I recommend you the Unity Engine, it is hands down the best option for those without experience as programmer, and the amount of examples and tutorials is great. It is also free for small indie developers. And it's not just something for beginners, it's currently one of the most used engines by studios. Wasteland 2 or Bard's Tale were made with Unity. My next project will likely be done in Unity.

In a few months of dedication, following tutorials, etc you will be capable of building games. Or to start building them, anyways ;)

If instead of resorting to an engine you still want to do it the "EK way" and do everything yourself from scratch, you need to train yourself as a programmer first. Learn Java and build some applications, step by step. It's going to take you a long time, I don't see anyone that hasn't been programming for a decade pulling off a large project like an openworld 2D RPG. But as long as you find the process rewarding and/or fun, then it's ok.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:55 am 

Thank you for answering.
I learnt the last few days that coding and scripting are a lot (lot lot lot) different ... hehe

I'm studying, but, there is always something harder to know.

I'm trying the Unity Engine, thanks for the tip ;)

I want to learn Java, to know how to code games, any games, but my goal is to know how to create a game like EK.
Firstly not an open world as yours, one map, then two maps should be a good plan.
developping the game for my own knowledge (and not to publish it), and then, trying to make it bigger.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:20 pm 

DavidBVal wrote:
If instead of resorting to an engine you still want to do it the "EK way" and do everything yourself from scratch

Did you start from nothing ? Or did you have some code already (maybe from Flare or else ?)

Another question ... How do you try your modifications ?
I use Eclipse, and in the tutoriel, there is a "run" button that launch the Java Project.
Is it the same for you ?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:19 am 
EK Developer, Admin

Sudren wrote:
DavidBVal wrote:
If instead of resorting to an engine you still want to do it the "EK way" and do everything yourself from scratch

Did you start from nothing ? Or did you have some code already (maybe from Flare or else ?)

Another question ... How do you try your modifications ?
I use Eclipse, and in the tutoriel, there is a "run" button that launch the Java Project.
Is it the same for you ?

The code is 100% mine, from Flare I only use open sourced graphics (I think it's a C project, not Java, and a very different game anyways). I use Libgdx library but only for the ability to build for iOS, I don't use most of its utilities. And yes I use Eclipse.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:47 am 

Ok ! Thank you David ! :)
I think, my ambition are bigger than my capacities, but I'll try to learn and do my possible :)