Autosave in dungeons

Azog

I think it happens regurarily that especially in the early and mid game you have to reload your previos savegame due to failing in a dungeon. According to this, you usually learn quickly to always save your game before entering a dungeon, and if that isnt kind of "annoying" enough, you also always have to reenter the dungeon after a reload.
So it would be nice if you can add autosaving after entering a dungeon, since i think this would add to the game flow in a positive way.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I am considering, doing the following

Instead of automatically enter a new area, you'll get an activable button to enter it when you want (similar to inn/town hall or other doors). At the moment of clicking, you'll first auto-save.

Sounds good?

Azog

Sounds good, but on a reload will i still be outside the dungeon?

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
This sounds as a good idea and by description, I think that being inside dungeon (or whatever) in saved game is understood.

EDIT: I see that we would be outside.

In my opinion, if we choose to enter, saved game should be inside. It's more logical. If we die inside, it's better to not have wait for reloading of dungeon area. Also, if we decide that dungeon area is too tough for us at the moment, we can choose to exit in normal way. We can do that quite easily.

And, in more cases I continue into dungeon after reloading last save, than that I want to go somewhere else.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Okay noted. But the problem is, it is possible to enter a dungeon with 1hp and die right away to an arrow, which would ruin your savegame. While saving outside means you are likely safe.

I am using the autosave slot as an "always safe" slot you return automatically after you die. currently it is only used when you sleep at inns, not sure if overwriting it with a dungeon entrance save would be wise.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
So far I never died immediately upon entering dungeon, but you never knows. Let's see what other people have in mind.

For me, I usually enter with enough HP to survive, if I'm in that bad condition, I run to nearest tavern.

Azog

Okay noted. But the problem is, it is possible to enter a dungeon with 1hp and die right away to an arrow, which would ruin your savegame. While saving outside means you are likely safe.

I am using the autosave slot as an "always safe" slot you return automatically after you die. currently it is only used when you sleep at inns, not sure if overwriting it with a dungeon entrance save would be wise.
Got your point, but still thinking that being inside a dungeon should be the choice, according to the game flow, especially when you add an appearing icon for entering, instead of auto entering. Otherwise you always need to reenter the dungeon, having fun with the loading screen 2 times in a row, for reloading savegame and reentering.
I think when you replace enemys that are within range at the entrance to a more far away point, then an accidentally dead never would happen.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Comm4nder":1ro8zctn said:

Got your point, but still thinking that being inside a dungeon should be the choice, according to the game flow, especially when you add an appearing icon for entering, instead of auto entering. Otherwise you always need to reenter the dungeon, having fun with the loading screen 2 times in a row, for reloading savegame and reentering.
I think when you replace enemys that are within range at the entrance to a more far away point, then an accidentally dead never would happen.

It makes sense, will think about it and consider all implications. To work in a consisent way, autosave should always happen when you zone (not only dungeons) and that would force me to clean off spawns all the map borders. Which is not a bad thing, sometimes the first second after zoning in is a bit laggy. but I have to give all this some thought.

Azog

Autosave always on zoneing could actually sureley be a problem, when the same autosave slot is used. According to dungeons i actually only remember 3 or 4, where you be attacked immediatly. And because of the lag you mentioned, its also a bit weird. Not that it is a difficulty problem actually, but for example there are 2 entrances to the sewer, where you will be attacked by rats before you can take control and see the whole screen. It just feels a bit stupid this way.