[spoiler] unfair autosave problem

JGramm

Ok, let's get into it then.
I'm level 9, about 100 game days of gameplay, all is swell and splendid, love the game, but one detail about one quest irritated me much so let me explain.

The quest I mean is the final one with Anton the Loreseeker, when the player is supposed to find and rescue the woman in the dungeon. So here's my gripe.

Early on the game establishes a set of rules, one of them being "no saving in the dungeons". By that the player learn that there will be no save spamming and dungeons must be completed by means of trial and error until successful. I don't mind that, a legit solution.
The problem is when the game itself breaks the rule without warning.

When the player manages to kill the bad guy, rescue the woman it's time for evacuation. During the extraction we learn that the mobs in previous room respawned, ok, this was somewhat telegraphed by the amount of bones on the floor (visual sign that there is something awry about that location and trouble is to be expected). Alright, tough battle and the loreseeker dies. Oh well, should have used that scroll of recall then instead of being greedy for loot, risk vs reward, I get that.

But then suddenly it turns out, that the game automatically saved just after the death of the mentioned NPC. In the middle of the dungeon the player is unexpectedly robbed of the opportunity to retry which was encouraged the entire game up to this point. No warning, rules broken.

I'm sorry but that is just bad game design decision.
If saving the loreseeker is meant to be impossible then make an ingame warning in form of an NPC saying that for example the scrolls of recall won't work this time for some reason and disable them, give the NPC 1HP and it's a clear deal. If it is supposed to be super hard to save the loreseeker then remove the autosave but make it a fair challenge.

Maybe it was just a bug, maybe it was designed that way, I have no idea but still.

The reason this irked me so much is that apart from that detail the game is just splendid and this problem sticks out visibly. I believe that it was just a thing that wasn't given much thought seeing as this game is in the alpha stage but still - worth fixing or revisiting.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
JGramm":313b6zwq said:
But then suddenly it turns out, that the game automatically saved just after the death of the mentioned NPC. In the middle of the dungeon the player is unexpectedly robbed of the opportunity to retry which was encouraged the entire game up to this point. No warning, rules broken.

No! this shouldn't be happening. If it does, it is a bug.

If you just open the options menu, and click Load, you should return to the state you were when you last manually saved, and the woman should spawn again. Is this not the case?

JGramm

Well that was a few days back so I am long past that quest, I decided to wait a while before posting so that my report wouldn't be overly emotional.

But from memory - I think I got killed as well but the game reloaded me to the point when she just died, right after the journal was updated.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
JGramm":19y4mvqf said:
Well that was a few days back so I am long past that quest, I decided to wait a while before posting so that my report wouldn't be overly emotional.

But from memory - I think I got killed as well but the game reloaded me to the point when she just died, right after the journal was updated.

Please explort a backup and email it to [email protected]

if you have more than one char, tell me which one had the problem.

I will look into it, and reset the quest to the very stage of having to enter the dungeon.

I asure you, the only places where game is force-saved is in the main quest "events" (i.e, when the story makes you sleep and you wake up)