Double Taps

Trasd

With the (hard to get early on) Scrolls of Recall, I accidentally tapped mine twice and lost two scrolls on one recall.

I would like to see a double tap protection added so only one item is used when appropriate, like when an item takes a moment to activate, or it wouldn't make sense.

VoidWalkerZ

i had actually thought of asking for an apk (since google was still telling me it wouldnt run on my device up til the game went poof) but decided i would try waiting some more first

Trasd

Actually David,

I really don't like the 3 second item-use restriction, like I was saying before, it shouldn't be for everything.

Please consider making the restriction item-specific.

I actually think the solution is worse, much worse than the original double-tap problem. I may be the only one with this complaint, but it has literally ruined the game for me.

Not only can I not hit my heal pots when I need them if I get into trouble, but you've locked all clickables simultaneously.

For the first time since I bought a license, I quit playing out of sheer aggravation. The worse thing is, I didn't backup the last apk before updating, so I'm stuck.

Will you please rethink this decision? I know you've been working hard, especially lately, but really, I've been playing for hours at a time, until this last update.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Okay, I will rethink it. Here is my reason to do it, so you see where the decisiin is coming from.

In the previous versions, killing ANY monster was a mere matter of spamming healing potions. The game for many just consisted in hoarding a big stack of the cheapest healing potions, why bother with anything else?

I believe removing any limits for item usage entirely trivializes game difficulty once you are level 7+ and can grind gold fast enough to buy large stacks of light healing potions. I always intended to put this limit, and introduction of quickslots made it worse; I've seen people getting the Dragonslayer achievement at level 4, simply by carrying with him 5k gold worth of potions. Is that fun or challenging?

But I don't want to ruin the game for anyone, if you have a better idea, share it. Maybe it can be adjusted somehow. Tell me what it exactly limited for you, and how you would like it to be, and if it doesn't incur into the problem described above, I'm of course willing to adjust it.

Kennnethor

I love the way it is... for hard difficulty.

My brother plays in normal and it really feels frustrating for him. I suggest in normal difficulty you make it 1 second and add better healing potions.

Tyrondos

This was becoming a tapfest with the healing. Add potions that heal x3 current potions, problem solved.

also waht great rpg allows to drink 10 potions in one second? this is a good change

Azog

I think the time limit is a good idea. But it would be better if healing potions always heal a fixed percentage from the maximum health, since on higher levels (6+) light potions are useless and even moderate potions heal only 1/3.

Trasd

For those interested, David and I began this discussion via email. Most communications though, are reflected here as well. Also, we'd love your input!

Remember, your idea of fun isn't necessarily everyone else's! The more options David offers, the greater number of people will enjoy the game. One size does not fit all.

David, no matter the solution, items (or item classes) should have their own cool-down period. Pots, scrolls, etc., at a minimum, should be on their own separate timers. If you're comparing the cool-down mechanics to DDO or something, you've got to remember, with healing, for example, there are multiple mechanisms and, each one has its own cool-down: healing spells; pots; scrolls; items; etc., are all on their own cool-down timer. In EK, the number of choices is greatly reduced, so a categorical, across the board cool-down, is much more detrimental.

My first solution is the simplest. Make the cool-down period different for each difficulty level. For example: Normal - 1 second; Hard - 2 seconds; Iron Man - 3 seconds.

In my second suggestion, cool-down periods can be completely removed and character action delays can be introduced. For example, if, while in the middle of melee a pot is consumed, .25 seconds is added to the next action. In other words, pots could take .25 seconds to consume; scrolls could take .75 to activate; etc. These example numbers are completely arbitrary, by the way!

My third, more complicated solution, involves many different tweaks. For example, after "Using" an item in inventory, close the inventory UI. Users can, of course, simply reopen their inventory screen, but there are inherit delays that would delay actions.

Small cool-downs would still be used with this third method, but the times would be much shorter. Basically, this method would involve a combination of all my other suggestions, as well as other game tweaks. This method would be the hardest to program (and I have many more ideas), but would be much better all around. If this way was chosen, we could kick specifics around a bit and get community input.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I'll chew on all this, currently on mobile, cant type much.

Better potions - of course, there'll be more potent ones.

Less cooldown on Normal mode - sounds like a good idea too

More later on.

Positron68

I won't say anything about Normal difficulty because I don't play it.

Also I'll only address potions of healing, because the others are not critical and there's still not many usable items.

I disagree on each item type having diffeent cooldown if that means a less "predictable" UI handling, i.e., if you learn how to time a item usage every 3 seconds, you'll be efficient, but if it's sometimes 1 second, sometimes 1.5... it will be hell. And I think it will take more development time as well.

On hard/ironman, a 3s cooldown feels perfect. If you need to use another potion, run away and use, or use bash, kick, sprint and use. Just allowing to stay in place tapping attack and potion slot to defeat every boss feels wrong in a game like this.

But probably we need better potions (greater healing, and also potions that heal 50% of health and even 90% of health). I suggest these become viable gold-wise only through alchemy. That way, becoming alchemist opens up some strategies that otherwise would be very hard or would require a lot of gold.

Also, this is beta.Plenty of big changes. If some balance changes feel wrong, let's just say it here so developer takes note, but also lets have patience and try to play with the new rules before jumping to conclusions. May not be easy but who knows. I think Dav tries to balance things, sometimes nerfing, lets give the benefit of doubt at least.

Trasd

Positron68":2bqbeh1h said:
I won't say anything about Normal difficulty because I don't play it.

Also I'll only address potions of healing, because the others are not critical and there's still not many usable items.

I disagree on each item type having diffeent cooldown if that means a less "predictable" UI handling, i.e., if you learn how to time a item usage every 3 seconds, you'll be efficient, but if it's sometimes 1 second, sometimes 1.5... it will be hell. And I think it will take more development time as well.

On hard/ironman, a 3s cooldown feels perfect. If you need to use another potion, run away and use, or use bash, kick, sprint and use. Just allowing to stay in place tapping attack and potion slot to defeat every boss feels wrong in a game like this.
You misunderstand (or I didn't explain well); all pots should have and share the same cool-down period.

As I said above, different people have different expectations from an open-world RPG. Personally, I don't care about the fighting and, nearly every argument is about how these changes will affect battles. If I could walk up to monsters, hit them once and, they drop over dead, I'm good with that. Granted, I expect some touch and go fighting in EK because it's an Action-RPG and, it doesn't have an Easy mode. I knew that when I bought a license. But, if the whole game becomes about fighting, then that's not what I signed up for!

My goal is to explore, to follow story lines and have fun while relaxing. Others may want to constantly fight tooth and nail, their goal being to make their toon as bad-ass as possible. Some just want to collect as much wealth as they can. All are valid goals and, the best way to accommodate this spectrum is to offer difficulty levels. Centering every decision around fighting is tunnel vision.

As the game is in beta, I believe now is the time to bring up these points, before they become too entrenched to alter; before they define the game.

David has done a great job so far, so I have to have faith that his vision for EK is equally thought out. I just don't want to see this game become another battle arena! There are plenty dungeon crawlers, hack and slash, rogue-like, etc. games already out there. I like this one because it is different, because it has the potential to be a real, open-world RPG.