Why not Amarisa as mage companion?

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
Since EK is about to face a "lack of atualizations" season, I'm making my last wishes.
Since we already have as companions a warrior, a rogue and a cleric, why not let Amarisa be our mage companion?
- Mage class is already fully implemented, such as skills, robes, wands...
- Amarisa alreary fight by our side in the Ark.
- Theres no need to bother making her "companion quests" because her whole story is explored and developed in main quest.
- Someone that plays as a warrior, for example, may keep weapons and armors usable by rogue and cleric for his companions, but mage itens will always be useless unless you play as mage
- It works as an extra reward after completing the game and saving Amarisa.
- If the player send her home, she returns to her "job" in Thuram.

VDX_360

Staff member
Reasons Not To Make Amarisa a Mage Companion:
1) You get save her at the END OF THE GAME, making her rather moot as a Companion through the game.
2) A range Companion, like a Mage, would throw off the entire combat balance.
3) Content has to end somewhere.

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
VDX_360":24f8xgs2 said:
1) You get save her at the END OF THE GAME, making her rather moot as a Companion through the game.

1) Valid point
2) You can still give a bow to Adaon, but I know, he doesnt have fireball and lightning skills...
3) It ends after my wishes are fullfilled ;)

0rion79

VDX_360":tvglo56j said:

Sorry, but I see things in the opposite manner.
1) right because mage is a powerful class, it is fine to get Amarisa as late-game reward, also the Ark is NOT the end of the game (unless you pick up the really evil ending) and you can use her as a companion for the underground quest in Icemist, that is really hard
2) you can tweak Adaon to be a range companion and, after his quest, he becomes even more effective! Amarisa, on the contrary, would be a constant waste of mana and the Mage class requires a lot of skills points that followers don't have. And, even if you are right, that would happen only at the end of the game and so with no major impact.
3) Yes, it has to! But that would be an effortless addition.

Grim Rapper

A Shady Traveler":1jynh4eo said:
- Theres no need to bother making her "companion quests" because her whole story is explored and developed in main quest.
unless David want to make another prequel story of Amarisa from her teacher, she'll be the only companion that didn't have an Advanced Skills, so companion quest is a must to balance the rest

Duck123

Loreseeker
Or she could just have advanced skills unlocked when you find her, the whole main storyline is pretty much her companion quest

Grim Rapper

It'll fall flat from the rest of the other companion IMO, since we also can know "some" of the story from the other companions

Remember, Amarisa have a long time to give to the Thuramiam Wizardry because of her absence getting kidnapped from The Forsaken. You need to persuade someone somehow from someone to recruit her ;)

p4ran0id

Staff member
Well, it's quite obvious that this will never happen, the last update was the last with new content for a long long time.

But about the discussion.
1. If someone could become a mage companion, than the wizard in Kingsbridge after bringing back his orb.

2. I'm not sure if the KI could handle a mage character. It's just too stupid for such a character. Even Grissenda with bash becomes really annoying at Trollflens, she often kill the troll with bash so he starts to regenerate. I think a mage would mostly get killed in closerange battle or suicide by fireball (or heals fire Elemental with fireball/ice Elemental with ice storm)
The only useful skill would be wand/staff mastery and mage armor. Lesser summoner is completely useless.
With advanced skills it could be a better companion, but that won't solve the stupid KI problem.

I think thats the main reason why there is no mage companion, also since the development is done its useless to discuss that.

Ps: if there would be a modding option (David mentioned that), maybe the community will solve that problem. But David said it could take 1-2 years till then

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16066#p49650

VDX_360

Staff member
The topic of having a mage as a companion predates the mage class. It comes up from time to time. All the arguments for and against have been voiced but it really comes down to the issue of content being done.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
0rion79":3vfc8na4 said:
VDX_360":3vfc8na4 said:

3) Yes, it has to! But that would be an effortless addition.
I think we will not have mage as companion option (well, I personally would like that option, but also there's reality we need to embrace), but there's one point that needs to be addressed:

It is not that easy in my opinion as you stated claiming it "effortless".

First of all, just saying something is easy, but coding it? Well, real effort starts when you try to code something.

I'm not sure what would be needed, but I'm pretty sure it is pretty complex. Of course, we already have spells (i.e. skills), but we don't know if there's some AI to be written for mage companion, also there's need for at least two quests (starting quest to get new companion and second quest for advanced skills), and there's certainly some other work for graphics (sprites for different equipment), etc. etc...

All in all, it is not that easy.

That being said, I understand that we all would like to have mage companion. But it isn't "effortless".