Area autosave

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
I'm not sure how to feel about the area autosave. On one hand it decreases the need to quicksave all the time which is very good. It saved me a bit of time a few times and I really like it for that. Also for dungeons they work great for the most part. They remove the need to always quicksave before you enter and is certainly a good help for new players who underestimate the difficulty.
However I feel like this autosave is a bit too good in the final two areas. Since these dungeons are composed of multiple layers the area autosave works as a free mid-dungeon save here. In casual this wouldn't mean anything, but for normal or hard players this makes it very easy to retry a further area over and over again while knowing that you won't lose much when you die. This makes these threatening areas a lot less scary.
I think this feature would work a lot better if it doesn't have the ability to autosave mid-dungeon for normal and hard players. Though of course, maybe this is intentional to make the dungeons a bit easier for players and in that case the ones that want a challenge like me can just ignore it.

Xen

Loreseeker
It is an effective tool if it is your first time to enter an area and you don't quicksave after entering, but if other players are like me(quick-saving after entering before going deeper in the area specifically Irazur Tomb to deactivate the toxic area if it happens to fail in the deeper area and need to retry) it won't affect their gameplay because the result is still the same as before.

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
It is true that it's certainly an effective tool to remove the constant need to quicksave before entering a dungeon, but quicksaving while in a dungeon is only a feature for the Casual players. On Hard or Normal you have to try and clear the dungeon without saving, but the autosave function works in certain areas as a mid-dungeon save function, when that shouldn't be possible in that mode. For that reason it would certainly affect the gameplay and make playing on Normal or Hard a little bit easier.

Xen

Loreseeker
BattleLord":27xfajks said:
It is true that it's certainly an effective tool to remove the constant need to quicksave before entering a dungeon, but quicksaving while in a dungeon is only a feature for the Casual players. On Hard or Normal you have to try and clear the dungeon without saving, but the autosave function works in certain areas as a mid-dungeon save function, when that shouldn't be possible in that mode. For that reason it would certainly affect the gameplay and make playing on Normal or Hard a little bit easier.

I play on Hard mode, what I mean is entering a dungeon, exiting after killing some enemies or deactivating toxic rooms or deactivating grates and then quicksaving outside the dungeon to save the progress. What I mean for autosaving a new area to be an effective tool is you don't need to do the enter-exit scheme and just continue from the last area autosave if it happens that the playing character failed the dungeon.

Xen

Loreseeker
BattleLord":2zrm9rxk said:
I think this feature would work a lot better if it doesn't have the ability to autosave mid-dungeon for normal and hard players. Though of course, maybe this is intentional to make the dungeons a bit easier for players and in that case the ones that want a challenge like me can just ignore it.

I think it isn't intentional but the algorithm of this feature is to autosave any new areas that you entered for the first time, saving you the time to walk very far or if your last quicksave or autosave is too far or there are many progress that will be gone if the autosave/last inn-sleep save or quicksave is loaded.

But I agree, it is less challenging for interconnected dungeons such as Icemist Underlevels, Abbey of Saint Admus/Hellish Cave, and The Deep Cauldron.