suggestion for scaling classes

moofrog

For the record, I've been playing EK for the past few months and have leveled warrior, cleric, and mage to 22+ on each. I'm currently working on rogue class to get to ark and SoH and 22+, etc. So I do have some good amount of playtime & experience in all classes.

Here's my take: damage needs to scale with levels better on rogues and mages.

Yes, they do have good burst DPS, but as an example, a mage 2h staff would do INT x2. But wands only goes up to +8 dmg.

Warrior felt the easiest of all classes I've played. Cleric was pretty cake, but warrior just "felt" easier and quicker. So my real focus is on the scaling..I do think there's some minor tweaks to make as well to cleric.

Here's my suggestions:

Mage class
Mage wand (1h)
Level 1 = same
Level 2 = +3 dmg plus 0.5 x INT
Level 3 = +5 dmg plus 1.0 x INT
Level 4 = +8 dmg plus 1.5 x INT

Mage staff (2h):
Level 1 = 0.5 x INT + 0.5 x Level
Level 2 = 1.0 x INT + 0.5 x Level
Level 3 = 1.5 x INT + 0.75 x Level
Level 4 = 2.0 x INT + 1.0 x Level

Something like that... This way as you level up, you will see a gradual increase in damage over time. You could build it similar to the rogue's Archery skill (+1 for every 5//4/3 levels or something at least that scales as you level up beyond just adding 1 more point of INT, which I've heard caps at 10 trait points???)

Rogues:
I think the one thing I've noticed about rogues is they do great burst DPS, but you have to be in the right position. Here's how I'd help this class:

1. Flanking needs a broader range of control. I feel that if you aren't exactly behind the mob at the right angle, I'm not flanking them. How about make it like 180 degrees or something, so as long as I'm pretty good behind them I'm going to get my flanking bonus? In other words, just make it slightly easier ot position so it isn't so sensitive.

2. Make assassinate do more dmg, rather than just reset the cooldown of stab? I like the current skill, but add a bonus dmg multiplier. Such as this: 35% immediate cooldown, 75% if kill. add 50% bonus dmg to stab. (the other levels would be 15%/30%/50%) or something like that?

Stealth:
Please have the levels decrease cool down like evasion & spring. 25/20/15 seconds. So Level 3 would last for 12, but cooldown for 15... meaning I could/should be practically in stealth mode all the time at level 3. This would also help with smoke bomb in being able to actually use it more often for when I'm solo in ark or other areas to help setup a backstab/sneak attack..

Archery needs to scale as mentioned above with mages 2h staff. I'd make it more like this:
Level 1= agility x 1.5 + 1 for each 3 levels
Level 2 = agility x 2.0 + 1 for each 2 levels
Level 3 = agility x 2.5 + 1 for each 1 level

The rogue should have built-in critical % chance based on levels. I'd do something like crit % increased by 1% for every 3 levels or something like that. OR, maybe make AWA increase crit % for all classes. Like this: Every 2 AWA increase crit % by 1. For rogues, this would be every 1 AWA = crit % by 1. (either innate or a skill you'd learn... maybe tie this to precision strikes but it has to only apply higher crit % for rogues vs. other classes somehow).

THIS GOES FOR ALL CLASSES:
When disarming a trap... if I've detected it, and I FAIL to disarm, I should receive less damage. let's face it...I already knew it was there! Why should I face the full effects? Either reduce by 50% (auto for everyone), or make it reduce % dmg based on SKILL of disarm traps? So if I had a 100% disarm traps, and I fail to disarm (don't ask how it happens!), then I shouldn't receive any damage. I just don't get to disarm it and get the XP. Likewise, if I have 25% disarm, and fail, I receive 75% dmg (25% less due to my skill in disarming traps).

Clerics:
Sacred fire needs to scale with levels or PER
Level 1 = 12 dmg + 0.5x level or 1.0 x PER
Level 2 = 24 dmg + 0.75 x level or 1.5 x PER
Level 3 = 48 dmg + 1.0 x level or 2.0 x PER

Flames of Faith should be similar to above. Add more dmg dealt based on PER or levels. I think the healing should heal the user, not just party members as well. This would help make it a bit more powerful and useful.

Warriors:
Heavyhand needs to have something to do with 2h being more powerful. Something like +5 for 1h, and +10 for 2h or something.

Bloodlust= needs to last longer. How about something like 6 / 8 / 10 seconds instead of a flat 6 seconds across all levels?

Same thing with flurry (helps rogues and warriors both): lasts 6 / 7 / 8 seconds.

Overall, I think warrior are OK, not too much to do, but all heavyhand, flurry and blood lust would help other classes too.

Thanks for making this game great, David. I don't know if I'm out of line, but I've definitely felt some pros/cons of each class, and they are all unique and fun in their own ways. But definitely, rogue is hardest due to having to rely on flanking positioning and if your assassinate fails to "proc", then sometimes you're screwed :(

Cheers!

VDX_360

Staff member
While you put a lot of thought into your post, the Developer has made several public posts that deep changes to the game mechanics are not going to happen. The game is too complete for major changes like that.

Also, the glass cannon nature of wizards is known and fully disclosed ingame during character selection. They are monsters when it comes to damage output, but have to be careful at taking a beaten.

As for the rest, the game is balanced for skills and classes. A lot of work went into making sure the skills for each class worked, without being useless or too powerful. Each of the points you list have been covered at least a few times in this forum.

Multiple different builds of every class at every difficulty level have completed all game content, including each of the different types of endings. (Bow Rouges and Mages have beating the Horror.)