Quick Fixes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Declan Duford

Some quick fixes that would make the game even better:

1) Randomize the Sour Grapes response a random red-shirt gives you when you don't admit them to the party or when you cut a buddy loose. The same response every time feels robotic. It could be region-specific.

2) Sabercats should make some kind of hissing swiping cat sound. Whatever sound is there now sounds like it belongs to something non-feline.

3) The "I don't need your services any longer" message should not be 2nd in the list, or it should require a confirmation response. Too easy to fat-finger your friend away.

4) Need a morale system for NPCs and monsters. If I'm mowing through a mob, some should cut and run, especially if their leader orders it.

5) Strength + Endurance should increase your backpack inventory.

6) There should be a realistic encumbrance system. Player could purchase a donkey and wagon that would wait where ordered. NPCs should have their own backpack. Weight decreases movement speed. Strength + Agility affects movement speed.

7) Every item worn by a monster should become available as loot, not just random loot. Maybe decrease the frequency of some magic items. Frost Bows seem to have been mass-produced.

8) Need hunger simulation. (This should affect NPCs and monsters, too.) You'd have more villagers begging the wealthy adventurer for food. Would he become a haughty noble or help the poor?

9) Need sleep deprivation simulation. Endurance is one attribute affecting how long before you need sleep.

10) Cleared sites should become habitable by the homeless or by the player.

11) 10 fingers = 10 rings.

12) Aging. Degradation of attributes with age (especially strength and agility).

13) Ability to make children.

14) Option to get a weapon imbued with blessing/magic. (Might already be in the game?)

15) Two finger zoom of world map.

16) It's bad enough that NPCs have drastically reduced XP earning, but when they do level up, they only get 1 attribute and skill point? He should also have starting points that a player of his level would have.

17) Character should be able to give gifts to NPCs to improve conversation options and/or increase Reputation.

EXTREMELY SOLID GAME! Best "D&D" I have played in years!

JarrenDrahn

All of these except for one or two are not really feasible or way too complex in this game engine. They would require huge development time for a game made by only 1 person and the returns would be minimal at best. At this stage, large scale changes to core game mechanics won't happen.

I do agree that companions should gain at least more trait points at say lvl 15. Just like the how the player gains 3 trait points starting at lvl 15.

Cuckoorex

Yeah, gotta agree that most of your suggestions, while they would be cool are just way too ambitious for the kind of game this is, and I think it's a bit misleading to say they'd be "quick" fixes; changing dialogue options might be quick, but just about everything else (aging, encumberance, hunger, sleep deprivation) would require a MAJOR change in programming each, let alone all of them together.

Declan Duford

After having played the game for a while, I see that some of these have already been implemented, so I will strike these from my list and add new ones.

MOD Note: Comment edited. See Forum Rule #2.

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
While some of the smaller things like extra dialogue might be nice, I don't think this game needs most of the things you propose. Not only are they really hard to implement in this engine, they would also make the gameplay worse.

Running monsters/NPC's would make it way too easy to flank and kill them. The only way to avoid this is to make them faster than the player, but this would mean that a lot of loot and xp can escape which would make grinding a hell.

The whole backpack stuff would change the entire game. Right now 100+ potions take as much space in your backpack as a single necklace. So to make it really realistic you have to think about a size and weight, which would cost a lot of time to implement and would make everything needlessly complicated. You would need to micromanage your bag for every item you find. It would also force players to invest points in Strength/Endurance/Agility or they can't bring much loot with them, which would limit interesting builds. Having to order around and protect a loot wagon all the time would be unfun too.

If every item a monster wears gets dropped, which would mean a full goblin set from every goblin, the entire economy has to get reworked since every player gets rich in no time. I fail to see why this would be needed anyway. Yes, random drops can be a bit frustrating sometimes if you are unlucky, but getting everything after killing just one enemy would clutter up the inventory quickly. Also a lot of loot has to get left behind, something I really hate to do.

Hunger and sleep would just be annoying and unfun. You have to go to sleep after a period of time anyway (unless you really have a lot of omelettes) so I fail to see why time needs to be spend on forcing the player to do it. And for hunger I just imagined that every time the player went to an inn/bed, the player ate a nice meal too. I don't understand what advantage it would have that monsters have hunger. Would it be possible to wait until the monsters die of hunger/went for a hunt so you can loot the place in peace? Or would they get a buff/debuff when hungry?

A lot of places that get conquered are haunted or surrounded by dangerous monsters, why would anyone consider that the right place for a house or homeless shelter. And then I'm not even speaking about how this would mean you can't get any loot from there either. While I like seeing my actions have positive consequences in the world (less ghosts in certain areas, taking back part of lannegar mine) A big thing the developer managed to do is still making the places have monsters to fight and things to loot.

Having 10 rings would just require a debuff for all rings or they become too strong. You have to micromanage 10 different rings for all your 4 characters as well, which would take more time and effort. And the entire UI needs to be reworked too. I prefer 2 potent rings over 10 small ones.

Aging? No. Just no.

And finally children? That would require a whole dating mechanic that leads to pregnancy and then you would have to raise the child. All those things could fill an entire different game.

A lot of those suggestions aim to make the game more 'realistic', which isn't always a bad thing, but often make things a lot more complex and cost a lot of time to make. It would turn the game into something else entirely. This game is a light hearted RPG where you kill monsters, get loot, get stronger and make interesting choices. It isn't a realistic survival game where you have to have to micromanage everything in your character's life to get the best things before your character gets too old, settles down and dies.

Also, as a side note, if a lot of players are asking for something not to be implemented, maybe the voices of many outweigh the complaints of one? Even if that one is a beta tester for a bunch of tactical shooters? I really wouldn't want this game turning in a complex survival game. But I have trust in the developer that that won't happen, even if it's just because of time constraints.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Declan Duford":1sdcovhz said:
if, as you say, the game truly has only one programmer.
Yes, this game is "one man show" so to say, as you can check in credits: http://exiledkingdoms.com/ek_credits.html

David has help mainly with graphics, but almost everything else is his work.

This is something that always should be considered, I read some people on Steam that compare EK with work of large game studios and, even if they say that these big budget games are better, it is in a way great compliment for David's work.

Duck123

Loreseeker
Many of these things wouldn’t be implemented even if they could because according to David this update is the last major one he’s making

Cuckoorex

You sound like you need to get over yourself and take feedback at face value instead of insulting anyone who disagrees with you

Mod Note: Edited to remove quote.

Zalvarez0627

Loreseeker
While your suggestions may improve the game, as others have mentioned, developing a game is a LOT of work. Adding 6 areas (Eastern/Western Korne, Observatory, Heart of Korne, Castle Storme and Temple of Blood) took three months--and that was a matter of writing dialogue and reusing code, not making major changes to the system itself. Dealing with inventory changes, hunger, tiredness, aging, and children would likely take longer.

Maybe spending the months on these changes would improve the game, but as you said, this is one of the best and most reasonably priced RPGs on the market. The developer needs to make a living, and we're lucky to have gotten so much for just #3.99. Eventually his years of continued development can't be free, which is why he's working on a sequel game in Andoria. I've gotten ten months of enjoyment from the current system, and I'd rather get new content than a more complex game.

I hope this doesn't seem like I'm shooting down all your ideas. It's always nice to see others care enough about the game to try to improve it, and I simply want to add to the discussion and give you constructive criticism. No idea is instantly perfect, and

You catch more flies with honey, my friend.

Mod Note: removed quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.