Mage is kinda sgupid

Gimpyco

The mage class is too weak as far as defense goes. I have a companion with me but even after being told to attack everything in sight they just wait until attacked. I find I am often dieing because my stupid followers are leaving me to die. There is little chance of actually aquireing anything useful for defense for a mage, and what's with the lack of a simple healing spell for a mage?! This is going to ruin my experience... Now release the trolls who are going to be *sses about what I am saying...

JarrenDrahn

There is a spell that is very useful. It's called mage armour. Upgraded it a few levels and your survival chances will dramatically increase.

Don't sprint headlong into groups of enemies as well. Try to draw them out 1 or 2 at a time. If you run behind your companion and make use of narrow corridors in dungeons, you'll survive a lot longer.

A final tip would be, don't get ahead of yourself in your explorations. A lot of newer players complain about difficulty because they tried to advance to higher level areas too quickly. Stick to Lannegar, Kingsbridge and also Rhoneis early on. I'm usually 5-7 before I even make it to New Garand.

Cuckoorex

Things get a lot easier if you invest some skill points in Lesser Summoning, get that to LVL 2, then Learn Summoner (adds levels to your summoned creatures) then Earth Mastery (summons an Earth Elemental for the first 2 levels, then an Iron Golem.) With Summoner and Earth Mastery maxed out, you get a LVL 18 Iron Golem which will seriously tank and has great DPS. Even before you get Summoner, you can get Earth Mastery and even the basic Earth Elemental is a very tough character, it can handle all but the toughest monsters most of the time.

Lolerescut

Well if you invested in lighting bolt fireball ice storm you enemies wouldnt be able to reach you

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Mage is probably the strongest class when you are an experienced player, and the weakest when you aren't. Working as intended.

Cuckoorex

My Mage (with maxed Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Summoner, Earth Mastery, Staff mastery) is second only to my Rogue (with Flurry, Evasion, Massive crits, precision shot, etc) in terms of power and ease of clearing a map. The only areas of trouble are when the environment is hostile (lave fields, ashen waste radiation, etc). With the level 18 Iron Golem and Hirge as companion, I barely have to fight. When I do, my Staff mastery along with high Int and Agility mean I have one-shot kills on a lot of weaker enemies before they even can get a shot off.

dansaske

Mage at beginner levels suck. I died way more times to skeletons than I did when I was a rogue.

But, as admin said, mage is very strong at later levels. Above level 20, I nearly one-hit everything (with a spell) that is below level 12. Stat-raising equipment are especially good for mages. As I needed to do with my rogue, I needed to wait to recharge my skills. With mages, you have up to 3 spells that you can cast and don't have to wait long. (I can also cast for a golem to tank most of my damage.) With the other classes, you have about 2 special attacks you do before waiting a long time for a recharge. I think the best loadout for tough monsters are, mage with Hirge. Keep a huge stack of scroll of restoration. At high levels, with your high endurance, use the scroll every 1.5 seconds to ensure a steady recharge of health. After the battle, use a ton of mana potions. With mage, I don't buy equipment. I find everything. The only equipment I felt I needed to buy was the mage armor in Icemist city. Besides that, all your gold should go into potions, advanced skills, inventory expansion, and housing.

Most important thing is farm for emeralds in places such as Wyvern mountains (possible spoiler alert). Go to Jabal. Go into the second level of the Minotaur maze. Spend all your emeralds for experience points. Make sure to toss your companion aside when you get there and use experience-boosting items. After buying your experience, escape with a scroll of recall. If you repeat this process many times, you can get to level 15 in no time (compared to the long-way around).

I recommend getting to at least level 12 before challenging any boss-type monsters. I tried to see how much damage I could do to a dragon at level 8, but didn't even make a dent. Also, (another possible spoiler alert) the best experience-gaining parts are in Nivarian. The dead god quest and the gold-donating can give you a ton of experience points. Just a heads up, the last gold donation requires 250k gold. It gives you the most experience points you will get at any one time.

Get an enemy's attention and run back to your companion. If your enemy follows you through a doorway or bridge, use lightning bolt for maximum damage. Once your companion starts attacking, the enemy will shift attention to your companion. The advanced skills I had were precision shots, massive criticals, summoner, earth mastery, mage barrier, disintegrate, arcanist, and gate. Earth mastery gives you the most powerful minion you can ever get. Mage barrier helps you stay alive in the event that an enemy gets through your tank. Disintegrate, precision shot, and massive critical serve to make sure that the enemy attacking you never attacks anyone again. I got gate for lore purposes since (possible spoiler alert) I found out that one of my family members is a traveler mage, I figured I should have some talent for traveling as well.