Mage Ward Skills for Companion or Summons

Rylocke

I wouldn't mind seeing the ward skills for the mage affect companions and summons, maybe only after a second or third point investment or half effect for them, etc. It's reasonable to assume that with arcane training, a mage could project an aura of resistance.

Even if it doesn't affect companions, it would be really helpful (and realistic) to affect summons. That could help us make up for inherent elemental weaknesses and inability to equip them by allowing Earth Elementals to benefit from toxic resistance, fire benefit from ice, etc. It wouldn't cut out the weaknesses completely--it might not even bring them out of the negative--but it would help keep summons effective in later game. Iron Golem (15) with Summoner III (+3) is pretty good, but once you're facing endgame enemies, that's going to drop off pretty quickly.

Another possibility would be for Mage Armor to affect the party, even with reduced effect, once certain levels of Mage Barrier are met (similar to the Cleric's Battle Prayer).

VDX_360

Staff member
I'm not opposed to this idea but the Cleric class gets party boosting skills. If mages get all the strongest magic attacks, plus party boosting skills, would that over power mages, in regards to other classes?

Rylocke

I'm not sure. I'm only level 16 right now with a level 18 golem. He's a beast currently, but he's relatively weak to fire and lightning. Since he's as powerful as he'll ever be and mages are so squishy, I'm worried what will happen when we get to the endgame and all the enemies are dealing lightning/fire *and* outlevel him slightly.

The cleric also has much more tankiness and the ability to buff party *damage* instead of simply resists. Plus they do considerably more damage with regular attacks, so I don't envision it to be too out of balance.

Plus, the majority of those Ward skills are available to all classes, so it could be offered to everyone to help boost companion defenses, even on a warrior or that same cleric which already has other party boosts, negating any "edge" the mage would receive. Although that doesn't address the mage armor suggestion, but still...

I suppose we'll find out in a few days for me, and I hear David has a level 19ish mage also.

Mod Note: Deleted full quote. No benefit to quoting entire post immediately above one's own post. Using minimal quoting helps improve forum organization.

Rylocke

Mod Note: Deleted full quote. No benefit to quoting entire post immediately above one's own post. Using minimal quoting helps improve forum organization.

Noted. Thanks

p4ran0id

Staff member
Rylocke":3hldrgh7 said:
I'm worried what will happen when we get to the endgame and all the enemies are dealing lightning/fire *and* outlevel him slightly.

Fire damage is indeed a problem at the end, but not the lightning damage. Best against the steel wizard, is lesser summon. It's immune against lightning (even get healed) ;)