Mages/Wands/Staves Feedback Round Two (post balance patches)

Shehriazad

So here I go again for a second round of feedback which is based on the XX64 patch as I do not know what XX66 changed.

First of all, awesome changes all around!

My wander is now sitting at comfortable dps numbers with a decent-tier weapon. Off-hands now feel valuable, although I still think they could have received more unique stat additions to make them stand out from normal One Hand + Shield, but pure stat wise they're fine.

Staves also now seem to be closer to 50% increased dps vs wands instead of 100%, with both having their own advantages and drawbacks.

The 50% is a nice difference, this makes staves stand out without outshining wands too much.

Summons seem sufficiently strong with all of them having a use. Even the Sparkling can be surprisingly useful in the final parts of the game. (Unless you decide to remove that mechanic)

Of course not everything is perfect...but at least in MY opinion, even if you do not do any more changes to the mage aside from QoL (like buffs lasting through loadscreens)...it will be a viable class that will be able to do the entire games' content just fine.

*thumbs up*

VDX_360

Staff member
Shehriazad":3bkrenmb said:
(Unless you decide to remove that mechanic)
Are you referring to the summon-trap issue? Or something else?

Nezemis

Heh here we go:
Mages are OK right now but if you ask me to answear clearly...there's something in their kit that shouldn't exist (my opinion):

Wands and wand mastery:
Double edged sword. Literaly.
Ye it's good to have ability to kite but you can't rly kite since most enemys have crazy movespeed when they trying to chase you. Also pushabacks don't prevent any attacks when they already hit you or your company. Most fights in the game - close combat fights so it's not big of a deal to have 2-3 free shots before anyone reach your ally or summon. Can be rly useful when youre alone.
Most annoying thing in this kit - how it work in dungeons. You fire, pushback triggered, ally follow the enemy, other enemys notice her\him since she\he closer right now, your ally lose more hp than neeeded.

Staff:
Okay. No doubt.

Overall staffs and wands:
I find that annoying to pay huge amount of SP just for Arcanist passive. Why mages should pay so much just to have stable auto-attacks? That's just...not fair. 1-5 mana per shot? Oh.
And they FORCED to learn that. Rude.
Hope that was passive will be gone and replaced with something more interesting than that, and late game weapons just have 1-3 mana per shot instead.

Skills:
Well, as i say, the only problem in this class that all mage power concentrated in numbers. Huge numbers. Looks like mages don't use their brain at all, lol. I expect from this class some skills that work not so simply, even if it makes to play them rly hard. But now...mages be like: "Enemy? Where? Oh, let me shoot something... lightning, i guess? Is he dead? Yes? Good, let's continue."
Also, is it weird to think that most slimmest class in the game should have GUARANTEED crown control? No? Hmmm...

Also wish that dev will add subсlasses (mage will rly shine if dev have strength to do that) but this is just a dream.

Last thing wich i should say:
There's no diversity in mage final builds since
Summoner with upgrated mage shield and lightning - superior (i guess tha's a issue).

Atomos

VDX_360":2kiua9y3 said:
Shehriazad":2kiua9y3 said:
(Unless you decide to remove that mechanic)
Are you referring to the summon-trap issue? Or something else?
Actually mages have high intelligence, and agility, so later on they have good chances of disarming traps, lesser summon improves detection, and mage armor protects from traps. I think summoned creatures shouldn't be used for disarming traps

Rylocke

Nezemis":11brwfzi said:
I find that annoying to pay huge amount of SP just for Arcanist passive. Why mages should pay so much just to have stable auto-attacks? That's just...not fair. 1-5 mana per shot? Oh.
And they FORCED to learn that. Rude.
Hope that was passive will be gone and replaced with something more interesting than that, and late game weapons just have 1-3 mana per shot instead.

I actually think that Arcane is extremely well thought out and quite balanced. Granted, 4 or 5 mana seems slightly high, but overall it's a great mechanic that I don't feel forced into investing into the passive.

For example, a mage using wands or staves as their primary damage source would most likely use Arcanist, but a Summoner would simply eat the mana cost (that's what I do). That first type of mage wouldn't necessarily need those SP for other skills like summons, so they'd have the points to invest. I could maybe get behind a *slight* decrease in SP cost to 1,2,2 or 1,1,2 or, at the very least, redistributing the 6 point investment to 1, 2, 3