Rumor Boss Loot Tables

Rylocke

I recently got my mage up to rumor boss levels and have been either receiving terrible RNG or the loot tables leave much to be desired.

I'm obtaining journal entries for them pretty fast (one or two almost each time I hit a tavern), but when I go kill them, they're dropping next to nothing. Granted, I've not reached the dragon or lich yet, but a level 13 mage struggling to kill a 15 hill giant for nothing but gold and a small diamond makes me sad.

I admit this is my first time reaching rumor bosses (I have played a long time, but I get sidetracked or start new characters often), so I'm not sure if this is par for the course or not. However, I'd definitely like to see such bosses drop multiple items from their tables. Maybe one from each of, say, three categories: gem, equipment, miscellaneous. Something like that. I enjoy a degree of randomness to keep the game fresh and interesting, so I'm not asking for massive drop rate buffs, but each of the 5 rumor bosses I've killed so far has dropped only 1 item, and 2 or 3 of those were a single [small!] gem.

When I checked around, I read a few posts which suggested that rumor bosses drop more than one item based on people reporting what they were getting. For example, the post reporting double loot from the troll boss reported three [useful and relatively powerful] items from two kills, for 6 total. Each time, a black shard dropped (of which I have zero despite being on the requisite quest).

Am I experiencing massive RNG failure? Or is this normal, and the people who get 2 or 3 good drops the outliers? Is there possibly something else at play (I'm a mage using Earth Elemental and Summoner I; could kills by my summons skew the drops)?

Rylocke

Faazvolfrul seems to have a similar issue. Granted he's not a rumor boss, but I suspect his loot works the same. He dropped a Recall scroll and nothing else (well, and gold) for me. I'm level 15, and it took me some serious planning and strategy to drop this guy. I would think each of these major kills would yield at least one uncommon.

Edit: I figured I'd edit so I'm not bumping my own post, plus I made my point. However, just to verify that it wasn't just bad RNG on a small sample size: I'm over 20 kills with no shards and 0 or 1 piece per kill, except dragons. Two kills were nothing but gold on the floor (only 36gp for the most recent of those!)

VDX_360

Staff member
Rylocke":3p8529bd said:
I've not reached the dragon or lich yet
Well, that's part of it. Dragons and liches have the best drops.

For clarity, not all combative random encounters are rumor bosses. Rampaging Hill Giant, Orc Warband and Troll Group are NOT rumor bosses. The hill giant is easily confused with the Giant Chieftain, which is a true rumor boss. The Giant Chieftain is tougher than the hill giant.

http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... Encounters

Rylocke

I've since killed two dragons which dropped a proportionate amount of loot for the struggle, but the main point still remains that rumor bosses, in my opinion, shouldn't drop a single common item (like a steel weapon) or worse, nothing but 36 gold.

Regarding the hill giant comment, I suppose I meant giant chieftain. However, all of my encounters referenced in this post were named rumor bosses beginning with a journal entry at a tavern, and all (even up to the point of this response) have dropped one or fewer items, mostly terrible, except the dragons.