Could Amarisa be my companion after saving her in future updates?

Atomos

If Amarisa becomes available as a companion, then either lore, or balance goes to hell. That's because she's Muud'ari, and she would have as much trait, and skill points as main character has excluding tomes, and etc.

Comrey

Translator
Eh, I wouldn't go as far and say that lore would "go to hell" if she'd have as many trait points as a regular companion.

Sure, she's Muud'ari. So is that one level 11 Forsaken dude who tries to ambush you on the road and he's still pretty much the same as a regular outlaw. Lady Calenda is a Muud'ari and she's only marginally stronger than say, the Bandit King, while being 4 levels higher. Valeran could be a more worthy pick, being 3 levels higher and about same strength, but at least he has twice the HP. Then again, he also is classified as a "boss" and not a "miniboss" which will explain the increased HP. Oh, he's also clearly a warrior given how he has Bash and Resilience, yet he drops a chestplate that only mages and clerics can wear... I can go on, but my point is if you apply your kind of logic to game balance then lore has "gone to hell" quite a while ago.

martinomh

Atomos":1bslc400 said:
If Amarisa becomes available as a companion, then either lore, or balance goes to hell. That's because she's Muud'ari, and she would have as much trait, and skill points as main character has excluding tomes, and etc.

Is this the reason why companions don't level up as the main character? I've always thought it was just for balance and not lore-related.

Atomos

Comrey":2j5gabxv said:
Eh, I wouldn't go as far and say that lore would "go to hell" if she'd have as many trait points as a regular companion.
Balance will be ruined if she does have that many points, lore will be ruined if she doesn't ;), that's what I meant.
Sure, she's Muud'ari. So is that one level 11 Forsaken dude who tries to ambush you on the road
That guy is a vassal, a regular human who works for them ;).
Lady Calenda is a Muud'ari and she's only marginally stronger than say, the Bandit King, while being 4 levels higher.
She's a mage type character, and 800 HP she has when you assassinate her makes her pretty formidable, and a lot stronger than Bandit King. Check the wiki, or try going for evil ending.
Valeran could be a more worthy pick, being 3 levels higher and about same strength, but at least he has twice the HP. Then again, he also is classified as a "boss" and not a "miniboss" which will explain the increased HP. Oh, he's also clearly a warrior given how he has Bash and Resilience, yet he drops a chestplate that only mages and clerics can wear...
Warriors can use his chestplate, as well as the rest of Thuramiam armor pieces. Check again ;).

@martinomh pay attention when you visit the final area, everything is explained there ;).

martinomh

Atomos":37tujbpv said:
@martinomh pay attention when you visit the final area, everything is explained there ;).

I know that the Muud'ari should be stronger than regular humans.

But it still bugged me out when in the end you ask Amarisa to join you, and she responds something in the lines of "gladly... in 10 years"

From cool to uncool in 0.5 seconds.

Comrey

Translator
Atomos":34v3ov09 said:
Balance will be ruined if she does have that many points, lore will be ruined if she doesn't ;), that's what I meant.

I know what you meant. I'm just saying lore won't be ruined if she doesn't. It's not that big of a deal.

That guy is a vassal, a regular human who works for them ;).

Easy to assume that when it fits your narrative, but fact is you don't know that. Seems much more logical for me that he's part of the Forsaken, given how many of them there are in all the quests that involve them.

She's a mage type character, and 800 HP she has when you assassinate her makes her pretty formidable, and a lot stronger than Bandit King. Check the wiki, or try going for evil ending.

I've done both. But you're right, she does have 800 HP. I didn't scroll far enough when checking the stats on the wiki and only saw the non-hostile ones.

Warriors can use his chestplate, as well as the rest of Thuramiam armor pieces. Check again ;).

You're right again. When checking the wiki I just glanced at the image which said "Cleric and Mage". I never actually wore it myself.

Still, my main point stands. First, Muud'ari engineered humans to be weaker, true, but keep in mind that after 1200 years there's bound to have been some inter-breeding with humans. There's no guarantee that the Forsaken or even Tremadan and his offspring are pure-blood Muud'ari. Second, Muud'ari aren't clones of each other, and logically it's fair to assume that - like humans - some Muud'ari have more potential than others. It's not a stretch to assume that a weak/untalented Muud'ari could be as strong or even weaker than a talented human. Case in point, my character's a Warrior with no shred of magical ability, while his sister is a mage. They're different in power and potential.

Just like clever writing made the Muud'ari more powerful than humans (e.g. what the Oracle and what Tremadan's Image say, very late in the game), clever writing could be used to explain why Amarisa is "only" as strong a a typical companion. There's no lore ruined here.

It's only an issue if you make it so. And frankly, it's not an issue worth making.

Atomos

Comrey":3du5jy4f said:
You're right again. When checking the wiki I just glanced at the image which said "Cleric and Mage". I never actually wore it myself.
You should have checked in the Grey Library. These guys don't get drunk with Friguld rum, so they are more credible imo ;x
Comrey":3du5jy4f said:
It's not a stretch to assume that a weak/untalented Muud'ari could be as strong or even weaker than a talented human. Case in point, my character's a Warrior with no shred of magical ability, while his sister is a mage. They're different in power and potential.

Just like clever writing made the Muud'ari more powerful than humans (e.g. what the Oracle and what Tremadan's Image say, very late in the game), clever writing could be used to explain why Amarisa is "only" as strong a a typical companion. There's no lore ruined here.

It's only an issue if you make it so. And frankly, it's not an issue worth making.
Well, and we're approaching slowly, but steadily at the age old issue of RPGs in which protagonist is created by the player. It will be more relevant in EK2, mark my words ;). Series of games develop "canon", and debate over matters such as: specific ancestry, abilities, and physicality of main character can go on endlessly until developer clearly states how this matter looks.

Of course it's not a stretch to assume, that some Muud'ari are weaker, but assuming that shady travelers could be vassals, has some basis explained by the story. It's also not a stretch to assume, that Amarisa could be weaker due to having human grandmother/mother/father/development disorder, but her having magical abilities of her grandfather, without his potential is quite unlikely imo(oh yeah, there's still an option to fight her, when she's in good fighting condition, guarding reactor, she's not weak). Wouldn't it be better to actually have someone else as mage companion, without involving all of this? She won't be available even if some masochist rests 10 years at the inn(that's about 7304/7306 rests).

martinomh

Atomos":1qohxv7s said:
Wouldn't it be better to actually have someone else as mage companion, without involving all of this?.

Of course it would.

Still, asking Amarisa if she would travel with the main character set quite the high expectations... and the response is quite underwhelming.

I mean, 10 years? C'mon... she'd better say "no thanks, I'm done with adventuring... but feel free to come for a visit whenever you want".

Comrey

Translator
Atomos":268cyvp5 said:
Wouldn't it be better to actually have someone else as mage companion, without involving all of this?

Not really. She's the protagonist's sister and if she's alive she might as well be available as a companion, especially after the whole saving the world business. But that's not really what we're discussing right now though, my whole point was that while balance could be broken by having Amarisa have the same amount of traits as the player, lore wouldn't be ruined if she didn't.

As I said, it's only an issue if you make it out to be one, simply because it's very easy to explain why she isn't as powerful as the player while still being lore-friendly about it. Or better yet, simply separate lore and game balance. What's the lore behind my Mage not being able to wear heavy armour and be a Battle Mage? What's the lore behind my healer Cleric not being able to wear the Plexifiber Robes? There is none - it's just game balance. There's no reason to have a in-lore explanation for why Amarisa doesn't get the same trait points as the player, because it's simply explained by "game balance". And even if there was a reason to make an explanation, it would be incredibly easy to do so.

I really just don't see the problem here.