mage class weakness - unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny606

hi.
great job with new update (no sarcasm -i'm happy with it but have few notices)
I tried play EK by mage character and i dissappointingly realized that something is really wrong with it.

first of all - you are not getting better mage along the leveling up; there are only few skills that can develop dependently to other factors:

lightning bolt - damage grows with level
mana surge - mana grows with level
staff mastery - damage grows with intelligence
disintegrate - damage grows with level

And only these skills are worth spending points on them. On the other hand we have warroir character whose skills are mostly passive and you can ADD effect of one to another (i.e. developing the battle rage + cleave skills) meaning you are more effective during combat after each level.
No such thing concerns Mage class. You can either summon elemental of fire or of earth on some level. there is no difference if you are on level 12 or 24 or if you have INT 4 or - the beast would be the same, as well as your firball's damage, etc.
I can level to max ice storm, and then fireball but it's pointless - it doesn't make my mage more powerfull (only more flexible) as the damage from these skills are constant.

now i am at 12 level but still have 4 traits and 6 skill points to locate but i will not, because it is not reasonable - would be a waste of them. If the effects of mage skills would be more linked to level or traits then playing this character for sure will be more well-founded.

Second thing - mana bar :(
i strongly recommend to make it regenerable a little bit in further update. maybe i'm lazy and don't want to inn sleep each time my mana reach the depth, but it's irritating when playing the mage class i can't use spells or i can use them few times after which my character become an archer in the meaning of method of fighting. (maybe we should develop archery skills? some are available for mages - i hope)
of course there are some mana potions in game - great, BUT i couldn't find the shop with them!
mage without mana is usless, and the playing is not funny any more. it's first game i saw with non-regenerable mana for wizards.

please consider aboves. i will keep my save for better times, but now return to warrior.

Mod Note: Moved to feedback.

VOSTOK

Translator
The only think I wanted about mage is more income to mana from the Intellect.
Some more mana income with lvling up as well.
Mana regeneration is no needed.
Coz mana is a life bar for mage. Not a healthbar.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I am currently playing two mages to "feel for myself" the issues of the class. It feels right, very powerful sometimes, but I need to make some of the wand/staff drops available earlier.

Regeneration is not part of this game. The idea is managing resources optimally to be able to go deeper, not stare at a screen for 1 min to guarantee victory on next battle. No classic RPG had fast regeneration that I remember (there was some marginal in Diablo at high levels, I think?). The kind of system I try to emulate here is something like D&D, not WoW; when you are depleted you return to town. Recall scrolls are very affordable for a level 9+ character, after all.

VOSTOK

Translator
I realized little bit late but anyway that my companion have to be a strong tank with expensive equipment. And I have to heal him sometimes to win time for deadly casts. Even companion dies - I have Mage Armour with Barrier that hits with lightning and kills exhausted enemies left.
Now I dont count mage as a weak class. Only I have to be more precautious during the fight.

VDX_360

Staff member
VOSTOK":kpl3o8er said:
And I have to heal him sometimes to win time for deadly casts. Even companion dies
Scrolls of Circle of Restoration is useful for bringing companion back to fighting shape in a long fight (expensive so save the ones you find for long fights).
Mages are kite fighters, aka hit-and-run attacks. Using knockback, slow to gain some more rime but ultimately, a mage has to run a bit. Using low level summons to distract a boss helps, and higher summons for actual damage. Investing in several attack spells can help, too. Can fire multiple spells per attack wave.

Mages can have the highest damage output of any class. Rather insanely high output. But, they have limited health it becomes tough to find ways to keep them going without dying.

VOSTOK

Translator
very rearly I had health issues. Most of the time - mana problems :).
Yea I liked tactics of constant moving.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
Atomos":z9d9vla4 said:
Just a wild thought: is it possibile to heal fire elemental with fireball?
Technically, it should work. Both summons, fire and ice elementals, carry the corresponding healing attribute. So fire elementals should get healed by fireballs or when standing on lava, ice elementals should get healed by ice storm or blizzards. Can somebody check this out?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
MikeB":kjz1gj78 said:
Atomos":kjz1gj78 said:
Technically, it should work. Both summons, fire and ice elementals, carry the corresponding healing attribute. So fire elementals should get healed by fireballs or when standing on lava, ice elementals should get healed by ice storm or blizzards. Can somebody check this out?

Unfortunately such effects are flagged to never affect your party. But it is such a cool thing that I might make changes in the game for it to work.

Cuckoorex

DavidBVal":109d7yh7 said:
MikeB":109d7yh7 said:
Atomos":109d7yh7 said:

Unfortunately such effects are flagged to never affect your party. But it is such a cool thing that I might make changes in the game for it to work.

But environmental effects that are not player-cast spells would heal them (standing on lava, etc)?

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Cuckoorex":2cgiyceh said:
DavidBVal":2cgiyceh said:
MikeB":2cgiyceh said:

But environmental effects that are not player-cast spells would heal them (standing on lava, etc)?

definitely. They do.

Status
Not open for further replies.