Suggestion about Cleric skill Guardian Wolf

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
I am well aware that David may not agree with me in this matter. Not to mention the work it would require...but i would like to share a tought i had while playing Cleric. (who knows, maybe, just maybe, the Three may guide David to make this change in future).

Something that bothers me about skill Guardian Wolf is that it's description says "summon a wild spirit that takes form of a wolf". But at first it's a simple Dire Wolf lv7 and then a White Wolf lv10...
Shouldnt it be called Spirit Wolf since the beggining? It would be like Spirit Wolf lv7 then lv10 and at last lv13. If you think it's too strong, it's level could be reduced to 5, 8 and 13.

Why? I believe it makes more sense in terms of lore and roleplay. A Druid is the one who deals with wild animals like wolves. A Cleric is expected to deal with Spirits and Holy entities...

Actually, an even better scenario is that, instead of Guardian Wolf, it could be Spirit Knight. It would have the template of a Death Knight (like sir Mofados http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... ath_Knight). It's description would be "Summon the spirit of a deceased member of the Three to fight at your side". This way it would also connects to the lore of the Three... Otherwise it could even be a warrior spirit sent by Arbenos... OR even a fraction of Arbenos spirit...

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
My suggestion regarding Spirit Knight is to replace Wolf Guardian. But alternatively it could be learned in Icemist as a new Cleric advc skill.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
The wolf comes from the D&D tradition of animal summoning, which actually are not animals but inhabitants from other planes that "translate" to animals in ours. I don't think it contradicts lore as it is, Ilmara is the most "natural" of the Kingdoms, and they often tame beasts and don't hunt them for meat, so it makes sense that they "shape" summoned spirits into animal forms.

I'm not against the idea of a new skill which involves a humanoid being summoned, but in the context of development of this update it's impossible, I'm already overstretched and barely sleeping so the features & changes list for this update is closed. I even left out the mage skills related to necromancy, but really, if I didn't draw a line at some point I'd still be designing New Garand Sewers :p

VDX_360

Staff member
DavidBVal":1wvryug5 said:
I'd still be designing New Garand Sewers :p
So, if you give up sleep, friends, family and personal hygiene, we can expect an updated and expanded Sewer Map? Or a Sewer Map under every capital. Seems a fair trade.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
VDX_360":i0t3818t said:
DavidBVal":i0t3818t said:
I'd still be designing New Garand Sewers :p
So, if you give up sleep, friends, family and personal hygiene, we can expect an updated and expanded Sewer Map? Or a Sewer Map under every capital. Seems a fair trade.

I'd probably be the sewer end boss in that case...

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
Maybe, in future, we will have Spirit Knight as a new summon exclusive for Clerics.
I can already imagine a Cleric summoning a Spirit Knight to fight a Troll and his Swamp Donkey in Trollfens

ABcTigx.png

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
Just in order to complement my argument over Spirit Knight (a warrior spirit sent by Arbenos himsel) as a new Cleric summon, and before I forget:
- Since Spirit Wolf has high resistance to Fire, Ice and Lightning dmg, Spirit Knight should have high defense against Death, Spirit and Poison. It seems right, since Cleric is a class classically focused in "supporting teamates", to have 2 complementary kinds of summons.
- Spirit Knight should be exclusive, not just of Cleric class as Guardian Wolf is, but also exclusive of The Three members. It would be one more reason to join the church, instead of the Warrior Guild as some seem to prefer.
- Maybe make it an advanced skill that has Guardian Wolf lvIII as a pre requisite. The skill itself could have just 2 levels to advance, would be enough.
- I'll dare to make one last suggestion: I already suggested Spirit Knight to have the in game template of Death Knight/Sir Morfados. So, to make it match, Spirit Wolf's template in game could also be the one of a ghost-like blue wolf. It would make easier to differentiate the summon among other wolfs.

Xen

Loreseeker
I totally agree with your Spirit Knight and the resistances it showcases but as for lore basis I wouldn't like other classes to join Church of The Three because only clerics chosen by them can learn the teachings, not to mention warriors and rogues can't channel divine powers.

A Shady Traveler

Loreseeker
Xen":316g5qtj said:
I totally agree with your Spirit Knight and the resistances it showcases but as for lore basis I wouldn't like other classes to join Church of The Three because only clerics chosen by them can learn the teachings, not to mention warriors and rogues can't channel divine powers.

Maybe I wasn't clear, but actually I suggested that this skill should be exclusive of CLERICS, but only clerics that are also members of The Three Guild. So, a Cleric member of the Warrior Guild couldn't learn it.