Variability to gear & other incentives to grinding

kynamd

Hello, I thought perhaps it would make grinding more interesting by adding some more variability to the gear +/- 15% in terms of damage, elemental damage, armor, elemental resist and some random names for gear. I know this would take this game down the same road as some other games, but at this point i'm near 6,000 kills on my main and it's just all the same grinding.

Or perhaps very small chance of dropping hp/mana permanent increase potions of just +1. Say half a percent chance for hp and 1/5th % chance for mana. So you grind through 1,000 kills and get around +5 hp or +2 mana.

Just my 2 cents

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Content is still missing, but in the end, this is a single player RPG, not a MMORPG or a randomly-generated roguelike; so no matter what I release you can reach a point where you've done everything multiple times. Try to play any of the great RPG classics for 250 hours... the same thing will happen. I don't see a problem with a game not being "infinite", thanks to that, I've played hundreds of great games one after another instead of keeping playing Wizardry I or Pool of Radiance :)

RPGuru#32

I think the game is what it promised to be. In the game description on GPlay it says 30+ hrs of play, ive logged about 100 hrs with my main alone. Granted it may be a lot of testing and repeated dungeon crawling, but my character build isnt done at lvl 19, and i really enjoy the game, and when i get bored i just play a character im working on that only uses the heals he can find and buys none.. Now thats a fun time .

Mr.Suspense

Loreseeker
well, once the main quest is complete, I guess the gameplay duration would be revised

and i would like to suggest to add the word UNIQUE

yet game interacts differently with different characters (warrior, rogue, ....)

Unknown

Good idea, even something as simple as a 10% chance for dropped items to be of "Superior" quality (eg +1armor on armor pieces, +1dmg on weapons) would make grinding alot more engaging - there also should be a slightly more frequent negative outcome maybe a 20% chance for dropped items to be of "Poor" quality for the opposite effect.

This also gives you the option to stick in a certain area for a bit longer if you struggle with progress and still be able to possibly upgrade your gear.

Dirty Harry

DavidBVal":7yfjo6qt said:
Content is still missing, but in the end, this is a single player RPG, not a MMORPG or a randomly-generated roguelike; so no matter what I release you can reach a point where you've done everything multiple times. Try to play any of the great RPG classics for 250 hours... the same thing will happen. I don't see a problem with a game not being "infinite", thanks to that, I've played hundreds of great games one after another instead of keeping playing Wizardry I or Pool of Radiance :)

The game is fantastic, that's why people are playing it til all content is exhausted lol

My advice is open up developer options to allow the community to create higher level adventures, if you are moving on (can't wait to see next game btw, any preorders?). At the very least just drop the max exp between levels to 500k, that's only a couple hours grinding the main level of the ark, which is worth about 30k exp. It lets people max out their characters. Optionally, cut the exp requirements in half for casual play, thus allowing for a truly maxed out character from the main story line. I know the purists will howl, but imo it doesn't have to be hard to be enjoyable!

For those farming exp, I have the main level of the ark down to about 6 mins with a high lvl mage. Once you clear the level, go up the stairs to where the Oracle is, then reload the autosave at the top of those stairs and go back down. This resets the level. You can put on your anti rad and clear out downstairs, by the time you're done the upstairs should reset, but it's much harder with those annoying zaps and even though some loot is better exp is only about 20k.

I just work the upper level, using the amp wand and lightning bolts. I meant to just grab a few extra levels, but I went nuts and mined over 10 million exp from the ark now. Lvl 40 and still have to rob golden cove bank and do companion missions for rogue and warrior lol saved them til I maxed out stats.

Amazing game, but agree that I'm hungry for new content, especially choked that I can't adventure for lvl 30 to 50+, you could maybe license out the game or make a random generated area like eternium did (I think?).

Honestly, I donated 10 bucks on top already, I would pay ten more np for a whole new higher level campaign, why not crowdfund it to hire someone for the project, you can oversee it? If this game had a random generator I would play it like solitude, just to relax and think!

Great game and hope you find a way to give us new content without keeping you from growing as a developer. I love the sound of your new game, reminds me of original fallout, the free movement and turn based combat mode was brilliant in f1 and 2. I think your ideas are intuitive and on target, and I can't wait to play it.

If you really don't see a way to keep this game fresh for us maniacs, how about just tweak the exp on easy level? The next complaint you'll hear is what to do with unusable skill points, so allow them to be converted into trait points at 2:1. I bet you'll hear a lot less griping, and it lets us obsessive completionist megalomaniacs stroke our virtual narcissism! :cool:

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Dirty Harry":2zan48ic said:
My advice is open up developer options to allow the community to create higher level adventures, if you are moving on (can't wait to see next game btw, any preorders?).

Well, you quoted very old post, there's really no good point in something like this.

But, to answer your question, there's thread about next game with much more information here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16645

And to quote answer to your question, when there be early access to new game:

DavidBVal":2zan48ic said:
We're at least a year from that... this is a 4+ year project. Just as a reference, this is a timeline for EK development:

April 2014 > I began prototyping, design choices, early development.
August 2014 > The game concept is more or less defined, development begins.
August 2015 > base engine completed, I begin creating content.
December 2015 > first "early access" release of the game (roughly, 25% of actual content was present)
August 2017 > version 1.0 released, main quest completable.
December 2017 > Mage & Thuram is added.
February 2018 > PC release
June 2018 > Companion quests, v 1.2 released.

It is my intention to release a PC Early Access version in Q1 2020.