Cleric Issues (personal taste potentially)

DoomRabbit

So I purchase the game after falling in love with it, and flounce around with the Cleric for quite awhile. Threw a ton of stuff into my vault for my companions, but I've noticed some issues with the cleric as a class as a whole.:

Mana -
Seriously rare methods to regen mana. Without simply using my restores, my mana dives down fast enough that it is more beneficial for me to skip healing myself in favor of using my other skills, and relying on potions to heal myself just like I would on any other class. For 'Mages' I see this as a fairly major detriment, however I assume they do vastly more damage than the cleric (just like other classes already do... yes I'm lazy and wait to see new things when they are released instead of watching constantly shifting forums.)

That said, I do less damage than the other classes to even Undead... the only true benefit I've got as a cleric.

---------------------

Items -
Both the Rogue and the Warrior have class specific items (or in the warrior's case can simply use all of yours save one or two), but the Cleric has one that is ALMOST class specific... and it drops off of The Abbot. You know, the horrid demon lich demigod thing... that Warriors can use too. Neat that there is a sword for the Cleric, but really it's a status symbol. If you can beat your way through the Abbey, you don't need it.

Armor is the same way. Warriors are intensely tough (even considering the Cleric passive, the active has the same issue listed under Mana), Rogues are heavy on special armor abilities. The Blessed Platemail ultimately gives you another heal, or a couple of more spells... while not being as tough as armor a warrior can Buy, and not as utilitarian as rogues can simply buy... and you can only buy two pieces of Blessed Plate, the rest you dredge from the Mausoleum (The Abbey is not the place to try to farm pieces.) Basically your End Game armor for the cleric is a middle ground armor, mildly tailored to a caster, but vastly under balanced.

------------------

Spell Synergy -
'Get slightly tougher, kill skeletons' Best summary I've got to summarize the overall synergy of the current cleric skill set. An almost Undead specific Nuke, a damage boost that's outclassed by both other classes, a very expensive heal that requires you to either stat focus for casting and not melee or abandon it, and a neat trick that postpones death by one hit (sometimes saves you for time to pop a potion). However - a wizard like detection, and advanced skills that makes no sense for them right now (bloodlust and duel), etc leaves you choosing a path with the cleric - melee half-tank or Tanky Caster. The first option is fairly viable, the second is basically worthless. Sadly the first option is out shined by a Warrior in every respect... except once again against Undead. Other advanced skills aid your troubles, but not enough to truly change the fact that the other classes simply out perform you.

-------------------

Conclusion -
With a lack of an Alignment System (there is room for one, 90% of the interactions with NPCs leave viable Good, Neutral, and Evil choices), the Cleric is an Undead Killing Bot. Without the ability to share items cross characters, the Cleric can farm for the Cleric, and the rest of the game is a punishing wasteland devoid of anything for them to bother with. They perform against undead exceptionally well, but lack in every other aspect of the world. Looking at the still closed parts of the map, the ports - ice lands - etc, one assumes that most expansionary content is not going to be undead focused (especially as the opening story leans a different direction) and the cleric will become obsolete completely. An alignment system would allow a toning down on the absolute Undead focus, and grant the ability to perform a bit better against, say Evil or Good (depending on character alignment), which then broadens their capabilities in the game as a whole.

(Sorry for the lack of formatting - on my phone. Will format the post when I get home.)

VDX_360

Staff member
What's your level and build?

The cleric can be a little trickery to build than a 2-H warrior, but there are some strong cleric builds out there.

0rion79

Overall I have to agree with him, especially about spell synergy.
To me the problems don't look THAT big, since the cleric is a very dureable character yet he is among the "wannabe strong" and "I'm afraid of making it overpowered": as a result it feels like unaccomplished.

DoomRabbit

Sorry, got home and went to bed. Long day at work.

Right now, level 18 is my highest cleric attempt, running "The Paladin" build from here on the forums. Out of eight cleric setups, it seems to run the smoothest (having to ignore the Cleric Guild is painful, but for a group of Warrior Priests they seem lacking in useful skills for their followers.) The Caster Cleric builds fall flat due to mana problems, a lack of caster oriented items, and the way companion mechanics work. Self buffs are not as useful if they are mostly fighting abilities you can't share, but want to hang back and cast.

Orion hit it on the nose. The cleric simply seems as if it is far Over Balanced. A fear that it will simply uproot the other two classes if made 'too strong,' but at the same time tailored to an almost exact role in the game... slaying undead. Against the Non Undead (aka the entire rest of the game), they need to advance down the "warrior path," to accomplish much... making them a Warrior that can heal itself occasionally, and kill more undead. However, unlike the warrior, their armor and weapon choices are nonexistent. I used that stupid Silver Mace given very early in the game until level 14. Twice now. Because all of my armor drop from Undead, it was about the only option.

Even Mana Regeneration, or more mana pots, would relevel the playing field a bit. Though their equipment would still leave a lot to be desired. (Example, the Blessed Armor... all of it... lacks any resists and only offers token mana boosting. They take more damage than their warrior counter parts in exchange for another spell or two.) Their only form of mana recovery is.. wait for it... against the undead specifically.

taldriel

I completely agree, the cleric almost forces you to build a warrior build, without his skills and with buffs and intervention without mana regeneration. Not to mention make a magician build, that at this point without correcting the sacred fire and the mana merme flames of faith is useless even playing a hybrid build.

right now the cleric is a undead melee slasher.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
On next update I'll remake Sacred Fire into a more scalable power with greater range, and also include options for 2H weapons being more effective for clerics.

Have you tried the Guardian Wolf skill? in my own tests, if you manage to keep the ice wolf alive it is a huge source of DPS. For high mana builds, of course.

DoomRabbit

DavidBVal":2b4gbz3v said:
Have you tried the Guardian Wolf skill? in my own tests, if you manage to keep the ice wolf alive it is a huge source of DPS. For high mana builds, of course.

Not as of yet. The Companion mechanics (their general behaviour) make it rough attempting to keep them alive, so I've stuck with Adaon for a companion for damage output. Unfortunately I abandoned the idea of a High Mana Build after a couple of different attempts, as it reminds me of the trouble of casters in UO, without the manapotions the latter has.

Bliznit

It seems to me a lot of the concern is about Mana regen.
2nd point is DPS is low, but the counter argument is that Cleric is pretty tough, so we don't want DPS to be too high and then the class becomes OP.

What about a couple of Cleric only items that regen Mana?
Like Mana Leach on a weapon?

I remember David mentioning that straight Mana Regen items are not ideal as there is no real time challenge in the game, so you could just sit still for 5mins and regen all your Mana, instead of being forced to use Potions, or return to Town.

DoomRabbit

Bliznit":it2ksxvp said:
What about a couple of Cleric only items that regen Mana?
Like Mana Leach on a weapon?

This would be ideal, even for mages... however then you lock your cleric and mages into only having one weapon. Ever. Unless other weapons have it as well, at which point it becomes a passive ability, basically.

Though I must say that, with how dungeons fully repop each time you leave, being forced back to town every 30 minutes (mana heavy builds... aka a Cleric who uses his abilities) becomes oppressive. A slow mana regen merely takes more player time, without repeatedly hitting the exact same stopping point every time in a dungeon. Hence why going Passive Cleric with potions is still basically an under damaging, squishier warrior, against anything other than undead.

GenerousWolf

Translator
Have you tried going cleric guild? One of the passive advanced skills give you Mana points Everytime you kill an undead or outsider monster.