Mage Wand/Offhand feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shehriazad

I'd really love going full wander....but mage as it is makes it hard.

You cannot raise crit chance as wands are excluded from the current advanced skills and offhands seem to be mostly utility and defense.

It would be really nice to have this option as staves already get really insanely good scaling and base damage (1 int = 2 damage + 1 Agi = 1 damage) equaling insane burst.

So some offensive offhand would be nice in addition to making going crit wander a thing. Offensive offhands could be balanced by having an ADDITIVE Arcane modifier (Arcane 2 wand turning to arcane 4 with a+ 2 offhand)

Just my 2 cents as wander seems to lack a bit more power than it should

Noroth

Loreseeker
Orbs could also give a shield that refreshes every X seconds of not taking any damage, probably 4-6. The shield would scale as a percentage of maximum mana, say 10%. Alternatively it could be like 25% of maximum mana, consuming half of the damage taken as mana. As of right now they are just stat sticks, while shields give a nice passive bonus to armor stacking. My idea would reward big mana pools, kitting and give mages better survivability and utility in place of higher damage.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Unfortunately, I don't see myself coding new mechanics in EK in the short or mid term. Mage has introduced a zillion of them already(which has required many weeks of testing and debugging) and the development focus is now put on the PC version and afterwards, on the next game. I might tweak values, because I agree orbs are too weak, but I don't think it's the time to introduce new mechanics. Maybe the gap in damage is too wide, and maybe the orbs ain't the defensive advantage I tought they'd be; now that I'm "properly" playing a mage I see the orbs are not easy to get at all at the levels I intended for them. By the time you get a greater orb they're too weak to mean a big difference. They should add a bunch of hp, maybe, or increase your perception noticeably.

VOSTOK

Translator
Was already Idea that Staff mage is DPS and wand Mage is survivable Mage.
So may be just have to increase orb characteristics. More mana bonus. Much more that now and higher resistance.
Orbs always were the source of supportive power. Never heard they supported damage.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
VOSTOK":1m3bzntn said:
Was already Idea that Staff mage is DPS and wand Mage is survivable Mage.
So may be just have to increase orb characteristics. More mana bonus. Much more that now and higher resistance.
Orbs always were the source of supportive power. Never heard they supported damage.

In next update orbs are upgraded. Lesser ones give +14hp and Detection I, for instance.

I also put a new entry-level orb for sale at Lannegar.

Rylocke

I was thinking about this recently while playing my mage. I thought it would be effective but not terribly overpowered to add piercing to wand mastery and maybe AOE to staff mastery. Something to give it a little extra umph... oomph... whatever.

The staff aoe could be relatively small and grow in radius with extra points so as to not be too powerful. It could also deal sightly lower damage to surrounding targets like the warrior's cleave.

The wand having a piece would mean positioning is important in a fight, and it would be used more for precision and finesse, which is how I envision a wand vs. staff to be. It could also be limited to a set number of pierces based on points spent.

The recent update that boosted wand mastery was definitely a step in the right direction, and the arcane affix coupled with the ability to lower the cost of attacking makes the mage default weapons pretty sweet for the most part. However, now that I'm into double-digit levels, I sense a bit of weakness. Although, a mage default attack shouldn't necessarily be as powerful as a warrior or rogue, hence the AOE suggestion as opposed to more damage.

VDX_360

Staff member
There's a lot of good stuff in this thread, but to preserve forum organization, this thread is getting locked. The big mage class re-balancing has (or is) occurring and it can confuse readers to have pre-and-post balance discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.