Pathing changes companions and enemies

dyanrilliams

I know you made the pathing changes so companions won't run back and fourth and not hit the enemy. I play a ranged character with the bow, and whenever I get in ranged combat usually the companion will just try to run streight into me and not around me to go engage the enemy. Which leaves the same problem of them not attacking because i'm in their way. So there is still a little bit of problems with the Companions pathing that needs worked out. Just letting you know.

Same thing with enemy pathing shooting minions off screen with an arrow. It doesn't agro them, they just stand there and let you kill them. I'm totally a fan of that and it makes clearing dungeons with an archer SUPER easy. However it should definetly not be that way. They should agro whenever they take damage.

Also a lot of enemies step on there own traps. Even when I'm not in the same room. If I'm just close by, occasionally I see an enemy took damage from a trap in the top left corner and when I walk into the room some are already injured from accidently pathing over their own traps. Makes me laugh when they die from it. However something that probably shouldn't happen as well.

VoidWalkerZ

I have the same problem while also my companion will sometimes just stand there while being killed (sometimes enemy is right beside them) i have to run far enough to cause the companion to walk to cause them to agro on the enemies

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
VoidWalkerZ":625hnwno said:
I have the same problem while also my companion will sometimes just stand there while being killed (sometimes enemy is right beside them) i have to run far enough to cause the companion to walk to cause them to agro on the enemies

Companion being attacked and not responding? that's strange, how/when does that happen?

VoidWalkerZ

it happened one time when i did the quest to assault the orc fort, and also alot of times when i peak into rooms and lure enemies out and grissenda doesnt move. Its not every time but often enough to be annoying

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
VoidWalkerZ":2cadyxw0 said:
it happened one time when i did the quest to assault the orc fort, and also alot of times when i peak into rooms and lure enemies out and grissenda doesnt move. Its not every time but often enough to be annoying

Okay folks, please do me a favor about this.

If you ever see your companion not responding to attacks, quickly do "Save and Exit", export a backup, and then email it to me (you can use the red support button in the main menu).

That way, I can have a look at what's going on in the companion's AI at the time.

Azog

Now that i started a new game, and this time i choosed Grissenda as companion, i also have to say that the A.I. is lacking. Very lacking. With Adaon as an archer i also had regularily problems, but this is nuts against Grissenda in meelee combat, especially when doing dungeons with her. I dont think that it would make sense to report every time when she is stuck, because that would mean if i clear Kleyou Tomb with her, then i had to hit the report button every 10 seconds. ;)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Yes, the AI is very lacking, I'll work on it soon. Still, when did she specifically got stuck, I mean, wall-stuck or...?

Azog

Still, when did she specifically got stuck, I mean, wall-stuck or...?
Most of the time she is stuck through the main character, by running into him. That happens very often and everywhere. Second most problems are corners and doors.
I detected that when you go straight with your character and then make a swift to the right or left, the companion will do the same in the same moment. That means, when entering a room in a dungeon and then go or swipe your char to the left or right, while the companion is still in the other room or at the door, then she will do the same move, by running into the door corner. Then often she is stuck. So you must coordinate your own char straight into the room and wait until the companion also is in the room. Very annoying.

Next thing is, i detected there must be some rules about eye contact and border lines. A room full of mobs dont registrate you, as long as you are not in the room. Except you are standing in a broad corridor and one of the enemies looks dirctly at you. But what i mean, it happens often that you stand exactly at the line before entering the next room. If you now make one step into the room, everyone detects you.
This kind of rule must be the same for the companion in some way, when she is in another room or around a corner. She often doesnt registrate that there is a fight going on next to her, and she is just standing on her position.

And the other stuff is just pathfinding problems, and running into hindrances or obstacles, that occures regularily and everywhere.