Odd quirk with the Wandering Monks

Cuckoorex

OK, so I encountered the Wandering Monks for the second time and even though I know the correct answers, I accidentally selected the wrong answer for the number of ports and of course the monks attacked me. I was getting creamed (low on health, no potions, Gris incapacitated) but I was close to Kingsbridge so I ran back to town. I thought maybe the guards would step in, as they do with most aggro characters, but no, so I instead went into the Inn and rested for 6 hours. So here's the weirdness: when I came out, the Monks were still there and attacking BUT it restarted the dialogue and this time I chose the correct answer, got the reward from the Master Monk, BUT they were still attacking me anyway! I went BACK into the Inn and slept another 6 hours, and this time they were gone.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Cuckoorex":vjiwuz1l said:
OK, so I encountered the Wandering Monks for the second time and even though I know the correct answers, I accidentally selected the wrong answer for the number of ports and of course the monks attacked me. I was getting creamed (low on health, no potions, Gris incapacitated) but I was close to Kingsbridge so I ran back to town. I thought maybe the guards would step in, as they do with most aggro characters, but no, so I instead went into the Inn and rested for 6 hours. So here's the weirdness: when I came out, the Monks were still there and attacking BUT it restarted the dialogue and this time I chose the correct answer, got the reward from the Master Monk, BUT they were still attacking me anyway! I went BACK into the Inn and slept another 6 hours, and this time they were gone.

Weird! definitely a glitch related to saved states. I fixed most of those, but rarely they can appear. There was a moment where something interrupted the game, like a phone call or a notification?

Guards don't interfere in that fight, that part is working as intended.

Kuratha

Staff member
I've noticed this before as well. Resting at an inn advances time only and does not reset town instances. Especially in Fogas Forest, where the mobs tend to get closer to the town entrances. After doing an Abbey run I'd through the forest back to Fogas dragging a bunch of mobs with me and letting the guards kill them. I'd sell everything, deposit loot in vaults, and then rest at the inn and the mobs would still be there afterwards.

Another instance of time-pass occurring is when you dismiss a companion and they are injured, when you rejoin their instance (e.g. Hirge in the New Garand Temple; or entering any of your homes) they start regenerating like mobs out of combat)

I had a quick wicked though that I could drag Rumor Bosses into towns and simply rest if I was getting mauled. However, as that never happened I never had the opportunity to test my theory out.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Oh wait, I just re-read... rested 6 hours.

Yeah, it is an engine limitation. I agree that probably hostiles should be despawned, but it's easier to say it than doing it... I'll look into it.