Sunken Citadel sometimes instantly resets

Cuckoorex

This doesn't happen all the time, but there have been a few times when I've been farming the Sunken Citadel that leaving to the Ashen Waste (on the north side) and re-entering the Citadel will instantly reset the Minotaurs and chests and traps; no rest needed, virtually no time passing. I tried to re-create the situation but I couldn't, and then last night it happened again, same situation; I leave through the north, immediately go back down to the Citadel, and the whole place reset.

VDX_360

Staff member
Dungeons should re-set with time passing, even if no rest at an inn occurs. (Maybe 9 or 15 minutes of real time?). So if you leave a dungeon to save outside (or any other reason), the dungeon will have reset when you re-enter.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Well, if he just got out and re-entered, it shouldn't happen. If anyone can send me a save in which this behavior can be reproduced, it will help.

Cuckoorex

Yeah, this was an immediate re-entry because when I emerged above round I inadvertently moved my character to the spot where it triggers an entry to the Citadel. I didn't even quicksave.

Bliznit

I had a similar thing happen at the Crimson Hills, I didn't realize at the time it might be a bug.

I cleared the Giants and bears up at the top looking to Apples, as I was walking my way back I exited the Crimson hills and went to the little section top left of the NorthWest Sagar Forest. I was only in the NW forest for 1 min or so, looked at my inventory or something. I then walked back in the Crimson hills, and was surprised to see that the Giants and Bears had respawned, so had the Chests. I cleared them again.

I thought it might have happened as I took my time clearing the Crimson hills, so maybe 12 hours game time passed, and then when I went to NW forest and back, it reset the giants. I'm not sure, but I might have cleared the Ancient tower in the same farming run.

This was a while ago in my game, and I've tried to re-create the effect, but it did not occur. If you want my save game, let me know and I'll send it over (once I figure out how to do it)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
The 12 hours are counted since the time you exit an area, so any cases in which you exit and reenter quickly and find a respawned area again, are a bug. It doesn't matter if you had been hours clearing the area the first time.

I have a couple ideas on what could be the cause, I'll look into this

Denzera

Loreseeker
I'm not sure it's a bug and not a feature :) When farming (say) Sunken Citadel, I'll often pop up the stairs, save, pop down the stairs, and if it's reset then I'll move ahead, and if it's not, then I'll load, pop down again, and continue clearing. Can be quite convenient. I can see it being a rude surprise under other circumstances though, but how often (when not farming) are you needing to return to an area you've just cleared?

Either way, this definitely happens a sizable minority of the time, and I assumed that its occurrence depended on how much game time had elapsed while I was in the dungeon (such that my next entry to the dungeon, even if I was only out briefly, came a decent amount of time from my previous entry).

Kuratha

Staff member
I've always thought the reset was part of game. Why would the monsters stay away just cause I'm in there? It is there home and I'm so rudely intruding after all.

I've noticed this happening only after spending the 12 hrs within a dungeon. If I exited dungeon or move to another floor then it'd reset. However, I've noticed it happening more often around midnight, I thought due to the day reset cycle, or 8 am, the day/night change cycle

As a ranged rogue I tend to pull mobs 1 by 1 if possible, so therefore it takes a little longer due to waiting for cooldowns and such.