Highwaymen Random Encounter oddity

Hisoka Approves

Loreseeker
If you encounter a highwaymen and pay them off/fight them, and them encounter another group they do not start dialogue with you and if spoke to, they use the same dialogue as if you paid them off.
Ie when you pay off or kill one group of highwaymen, any other Highwaymen act as if you also paid them off.
It would be sweet if killing one group of Highwaymen affects how other groups treat you, this is clearly a bug.

Petr Šuhaj

Translator
I've noticed the same problem, but not only with highway men. I think the same thing is encounter with monks.

MikeB

Staff member
Loreseeker
I guess the basic problem is that each type of encounter has only one set of in-game variables. So if you encounter highwaymen or monks at different locations (without sleeping at an inn in between), the game effectively treats them as the same entity, because they share the same set of state variables.

I assume that David is aware of that, because this issue has been brought to his attention before, but i guess there is no easy workaround other than changing the entire architecture of random encounters.

On the other hand, I'm not a game developer, so maybe David finds a neat solution. Wouldn't​ surprise me... :D

VDX_360

Staff member
This isn't a "bug," which implies a problem, but rather a design limitation, which "oddity" fits well :)

As for the oddity itself, it's a known issue but since it doesn't impact game play and only shows up if you get two Highwaymen Random encounters close to each other, it's not a pressing issue. Low chance of happening, no issue when it does happen, save an odd comment.

A related issue is the comparatively low level of the robbers by end-of-content. One charge and they all die like bowling pins.

Note, you could read the dialogue as the robbers just pretending they're giving you space to save face you just destroyed their friends.

Hisoka Approves

Loreseeker
VDX_360":1xbht73y said:
A related issue is the comparatively low level of the robbers by end-of-content. One charge and they all die like bowling pins.

To be honest I expect that once we become dragon slaying, God crown plundering, legendary armor wielding adventurers, highwaymen should pose no threat at all. Just​ find it weird they still appear, but for some reason I'm glad they do.