Skill timer and health regen..

LCV1988

Hello,

I bought the game after playing the intro cause I could tell I'd like it, having played bg, iwd etc.

However, after some time playing there are 2 things which I think to be very bad mechanics.

First is the skills which simply have a timer till you can use them again. This really hinders the gameplay because if you want to survive a dungeon for example you sometimes simply have to wait between mobs for your skills to cool down which is boring.

I think a mana system works MUCH better with
skills because you can decide how to spend said mana(like use same skill two times in a row) and you can have items which restore mana(so no waiting between mobs if you can afford it).

Another issue for me is the regenerate-magically button and then return to the tavern.

Look at how other games have solved this- in BG for example you can rest anywhere in the wilderness with a chance to be ambushed in your sleep. Taverns are merely there to be able to sleep in safety.

The way it is handled now quickly annoyed me- deplete health bar, regen, deplete, regen, deplete, run back to tavern, rinse and repeat.
Takes away much immersion and makes it more of a health bar management simulation cause you spend so much time worrying about it even outside of combat.

Well Id be glad if those things maybe underwent some revision, imo it really holds the game back.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
On the other hand, this is what makes this game a challenge.

Yes, it makes you aware about numerous factors you need to track, you can't just use skill and use it again next second, you need to calculate when you'll attack, or just run away, etc.

But, if game would be only "fun", without need to worry about anything, if you wouldn't need to fear for your "life", "fun" would be lost very soon and it would be quite boring. Some definitively don't want any challenge, but when you do something hard, it's more fun than when you do something easy.

I needed to learn a bit how to play this game, but I found need to learn how to do new things fun. For me this is good game because I enjoy playing it. It frustrates me sometimes, but yes, when I solve something, I enjoy even more because there was previous frustration.

LCV1988

I did not say the game should be made easier.
I said I thought those mechanics were bad, not because they make the game hard, but because they make the game tedious.

I dont understand why you chose to lecture me about the fun of challenging games when I stated in the very beginning that I played games like Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale, where wolves can one-hit kill you at low character levels. I'm all up for a challenge and I started playing on hard immediately.

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
I understood you, but challenge isn't only surviving one hit from whatever, it is also in the way how far you can go "from home", whatever this "home" is in the moment. In this case, you can't go very far from towns. At least not in the beginning.

Now, when I'm L14, I can go very far in most places (trolls and minotaurs are a challenge at the moment), but at the start I could get killed just outside town from goblins.

And why I wrote what I wrote? Well, probably I shouldn't have.

I like it the way it is, you don't. De gustibus non est disputandum.

Trasd

I've played dozens of different computer (and PnP) RPGs and each handles these things a bit differently. I'm good with them all because these systems are at the basics of the games.

If David were to significantly alter the HP regen and the magic system, this could change the game on a fundamental level. What would come out the other end may not be the same game, at all! I'm still a proponent of regen in town though, so folks out of resources don't have to reroll another toon.

EK, as validated by its success (and heated discussions), has the special undefinable "something" that all developers hope to achieve, and altering something this basic could really screw that up.

I didn't like it a bit when the 3 second cooldown was introduced for healing pots (I never spammed them anyway), but David asked me to be patient and assured me he had a plan. I was and he was right. I don't even think about it anymore.

My 2¢...

Sir ShanksAlot

I can appreciate the cooldown system. It makes me plan attacks, it forces me to isolate targets and now I don't have to worry about running out of mana in the middle of a fight.

Never health regen, but I could appreciate some more healing options that do not cost an arm and a leg (Or significant ways to make money, even making money costs money lol). It starts to get pricey.

LCV1988

Well I'll personally just give the game a rest for now and see what it evolves to as it leaves beta. Maybe I'll enjoy it more when everything is in place. :)