Quest mechanics

Aeron Rivers

Are there pre-conditions, generally speaking, that could trigger a quest or even permanently disable it? For exemple:
- reputation with a certain faction, location or
- having a certain companion and not the other, or
- a certain level of personality, (or any other traits),
- a dialog choice.

Maybe that's another topic place but are there consequences for the moral choices taken into the game?

I really like the feeling of playing the game. Good job, really good job.

Cheers.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Most quests are initiated from a dialogue right now, but a quest could start by virtually anything (picking an item from the ground, learning a new rumour, or even walking into some place)

As per moral choices, YES, even if consequences are not immediate, eventually everything will come around.

In particular, several New Garand quests will have a definite impact on certain late game events. the Giles quest, and the spice trader quest are clear examples. Can't say much more yet!

Aeron Rivers

Thanks, David, that's true for most rpg's. You missed the aim of my question though: are there right now any pre-conditions which if not accomplished before will NOT trigger a quest?
Example:
- if I'm a bandit in some place will they still give me a certain quest? Any of the present quests ? (no answer at the last question if spoiler)
- if I don't have the right companion beside me, will certain characters still give me quests?
- if I'm not strong enough, or smart enough, or socially pleasant enough will I still get all the quests?

Cheers

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Your faction, previous choices, and even what companion is with you at certain moment, will determine what quests are activated, yes.

Not in most quests, however. Most of them follow a simple scheme; you talk to a questgiver, and get the quest. It is true that if you manage to make a certain faction hostile or unfriendly enough, people of that faction will simply refuse to talk with you, so that can block certain quests. (This is very difficult to do, at the moment, but once game is finished, yes, it is very possible)

And in those that are heavily conditional, usually you are given information on how to activate it ("raise reputation above...") or you can deduct how to activate it. There is an obvious example of a very conditional quest, "A mad wizard", which will only be triggered if you have a certain companion and approach certain person. But you are given clues about it previously.

As more content is developed, there will be more branching. You'll have to choose a faction, or sometimes two, and that will enable certain quests, but will bar others