Hirge and mob AI

Ungod

Does the old adage "kill the caster first" apply here? I'm having some interesting interactions.

I got my Wizard to level 10, have Griss for him. He can bomb a whole group to half health and Griss will normally take aggro with ww/cleave.. I have a level 9 Rogue with Jesters/Enchanted Vulcan bow and Griss can more or less keep aggro.

I have a level 10 2H War with Hirge. I'll charge in on a bear, drop it to half health and next thing I know Hirge is healing herself because of aggro. How is she pulling aggro over me before healing or doing any sort of significant damage (set on "attack no one"? She goes through mana so fast healing herself it's like dragging around a really weak Griss.

This is my first time using Hirge. If it's "kill the caster", I'm fine with it. Lived and died by that rule for 35 years in D&D. But without a way to pull/keep aggro of of Hirge I think I'll go with Aadon/ton of potions.

Xen

Loreseeker
You said Charge, assuming it is a skill then she pulled the aggro because she is the nearest to the enemy when you used Charge. Keeping your range close to the enemy won't let Hirge get the aggro, not unless she attacks faster than you do.

p4ran0id

Staff member
Healing works always that way, she heals herself first and the rest goes to you. That's why it's not a good idea to give her too much END or high HP points.
Also it's sometimes a good idea to command her not to attack or to stay back. That way she won't lose hp and will only heal you.

Ungod

The weapon speed makes sense. I'm 2H and she has the sacrificial dagger. I assumed that my hitting 4x harder would be enough for aggro. I'll change her weapon and try that.

In regards to charge, I see your point about proximity but this does also happen when I'm in range too but that may go back to your weapon speed explanation.

Just an aside, how do you feel about charge? I'm on the fence but took it for "on demand" damage.

Thanks for the reply. Have a good one

Ungod

p4ran0id":2i9l1rcu said:
Healing works always that way, she heals herself first and the rest goes to you. That's why it's not a good idea to give her too much END or high HP points.
Also it's sometimes a good idea to command her not to attack or to stay back. That way she won't lose hp and will only heal you.

I've commanded her not to attack. Having to tell her to stand her ground every fight doesn't sound appealing at all.

My issue isn't her healing. It's her pulling aggro over me. I'm going to try changing her weapon as suggested.

Thanks for the reply

p4ran0id

Staff member
You can tell her to wait so she will stay out of the range and won't get aggro. It's very helpful in ashen waste for example.

Xen

Loreseeker
Yeah it is better to let her wait in a safe place away from enemies because you ordered her not to attack anything in sight then it means you don't need her attacks to assist you, just the healing she provides. Let her wait somewhere else and just approach her when you need some healing.

P.S. If you also need her assisting you in attacking an enemy, try to give her slower weapons and keep your distance the closest to the enemy. Use item with Stability on it to secure that you won't be knocked back. Also the capability of stunning an enemy can get the aggro(it is very common for Rogue doing flank attacks).