Why can clerics wield the ark sword?

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
I just noticed that my cleric can wield a Nanocarbon sword too. I guess I always overlooked that part and just assumed it was a warriors only weapon. But I'm very confused why clerics would be the ones who are able to wield the sword next to warriors.

If you look at the wiki, when weapons can be used by multiple classes, it are mostly warriors/rogues who can wield the swords and warrior/clerics for the hammers. The main exceptions are the Paladin longsword as a special sword aimed for clerics and some light hammers that can be used by all three classes. But for the ark weapons, clerics suddenly get both and rogues get nothing?

The sword is better used by clerics then rogues, since clerics use strength more and rogues agility and this is a strenght based weapon. So I understand from a balancing perspective giving clerics a one handed option is nice since rogues wouldn't use it anyway, but from a lore perspective it just seems a bit strange to me. Unlike the paladin longsword, there is nothing that makes this sword special for clerics. Certainly since the paladin longsword has as description that it is probably the only sword a cleric can wield.

RPGamer

It doesn't seem strange to me at all....why is it weird that an alien can wield a sword from their home planet (or at least it was made by their own people)? Also, your statement that "rogues get nothing" is not true. The wiki says the Nanocarbon scalpels can be used by all classes and rogues can also use the Ion Recurve bow(s)

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
RPGamer":3jnq5l79 said:
The wiki says the Nanocarbon scalpels can be used by all classes and rogues can also use the Ion Recurve bow(s)

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the bow. I did mess up on that one, that is one thing that is Warrior/Rogue from the ark weapons. Though I didn't count the scalpel since it's usuable for all classes so it's also an extra thing Clerics gain too.

RPGamer":3jnq5l79 said:
It doesn't seem strange to me at all....why is it weird that an alien can wield a sword from their home planet (or at least it was made by their own people)?

It isn't weird that Muu'dari can wield weapons crafted by their ancestors, it only seems strange to me that Clerics are the one that can wield the Ark sword while Rogues are the one that can wield swords for the entire rest of the game (except the Paladin longsword)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
I admit itemization and balance was key in the design of those items. Initially there was a mace, but it made it even harder to get the right drops for your class in the ark. I decided to take it out of the equation to make it more likely to eventually get your appropiate weapon. It's already hard enough, especially from the perspective of a normal player getting to the Ark for the first time.