Help with Carrion Lord

Jiflink

I’m playing a level 20 rogue. I’ve dealt with groups of carrions in other dungeons with relative ease (mostly because I can out-race the paralyze rng by a wide margin). With my trusty friend Hirge, I can generally hold my own against most opponents. But this Carrion Lord is a turd.

Some details about my rogue as I go into this battle:

Melee build
Armor - 26
Skills - Stab IV, Assassinate III, Evasion III, Flurry III, Massive Criticals II, Precision Strikes III
Spirit resist: 99 (this includes a 30-potion)
Weapon: Bluesteel Poisonous Dagger
Overall DPS: ~48 with a potion of giant strength.
Health - 218

Hirge has 26 armor, a couple advanced skills, and enough mana to heal me for days. She contributes to fights, but I mostly rely on her for healing and such.

I’ve tried this fight several times, and it’s a total shut-out every time. Even with evasion up I’m getting paralyzed almost instantly, and permanently.

I don’t know what I’m missing here. Pre-belt my agility is already 8, but with a couple levels I could raise that or strength by 1ish (strength is 3). There aren’t many weapons left to get that would give me a power spike. I have Sonet, a Primal Icycle, the magma short sword, and a handful pf other top tier light rogue weapons. But I don’t think many are going to greatly out-perform my poison blue-steel for this fight.

Likewise, my armor is pretty high I think, but maybe I could squeeze a few more points with some more content cleared and a couple more levels. Definitely I could go for skill points into spirit resist for an extra 30, and maybe find a few more pieces to raise that a little higher, but as I was reading elsewhere, even with 170, I’d still have 55% chance to be stunned for either 5 or 10 seconds, which seems long enough for perma-stun anyway.

So I’m not sure what more to do for this fight. Any advice is appreciated. And maybe I’m just underestimating how those incremental improvements could help.

Jiflink

I know one mistake I made was not switching my flaming dirk out for my gauche of shadows. So I can make one small improvement to my dps vs this enemy. But considering my issue is more not being able to attack or act at all, I don’t think DPS right now will make the difference I need.

BattleLord

Staff member
Loreseeker
There is a simple fix to solve this problem for you. Rogues have access to one very strong item called the Bloody Scarf. This halved the duration of paralysis time and should keep you from getting stuck combined with your high spirit resist:

https://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/ind ... died_Scarf

If you for some reason sold this item you could also try using the Amulet of Dark Whispers if you have that, but it's a bit less valuable for you since rogues can't get mana:

http://www.exiledkingdoms.com/wiki/inde ... 20Whispers

If both of those options aren't available then I fear you just have to keep on trying until you get lucky or skip him until you are stronger and return then to finish him off.

Jiflink

Hey, thanks for responding! I actually do have the blood scarf (and the amulet of dark whispers, which Hirge wears to give me two and a half more heals per recovery). These are amazing items for sure, and save me in lots of fights. It hasn’t helped for this fight though, as it only protects against stuns, and the worm paralyzes instead of stuns. After my first few attempts while wearing the scarf, I tried switching to the holy symbol of the three to squeeze out as much spirit resist as I can.

Does the stun immunity have a hidden impact on paralyze duration? If it does, then I’ll probably switch back to it. But again, I didn’t have any less issue with perma-paralyzation. So I think I need something else yet.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Jiflink":1noiswsk said:
Hey, thanks for responding! I actually do have the blood scarf (and the amulet of dark whispers, which Hirge wears to give me two and a half more heals per recovery). These are amazing items for sure, and save me in lots of fights. It hasn’t helped for this fight though, as it only protects against stuns, and the worm paralyzes instead of stuns. After my first few attempts while wearing the scarf, I tried switching to the holy symbol of the three to squeeze out as much spirit resist as I can.

Does the stun immunity have a hidden impact on paralyze duration? If it does, then I’ll probably switch back to it. But again, I didn’t have any less issue with perma-paralyzation. So I think I need something else yet.

Tap on the description of the "Stun immunity" power on the item. It reduces paralysis to half. Sewer of Horrors is the hardest part of the game, if you still have some quests out there (including the main quest) it can also help to do everything else and gain a couple more levels.

Jibaholic

Some other tips

* Get Magical Training and some Circle of Restoration scrolls. If Hirge is paralyzed, you cast. If you get paralyzed, Hirge casts.

* Spirit resistance stacked with stun immunity

* Do the Ark first (at least enough to get the gear), and Sewer of Horrors second. Nanocarbon scapal, force belt, automator gloves, Kevlar vest etc.

Jiflink

DavidBVal":3ntyquwg said:
Tap on the description of the "Stun immunity" power on the item. It reduces paralysis to half. Sewer of Horrors is the hardest part of the game, if you still have some quests out there (including the main quest) it can also help to do everything else and gain a couple more levels.

Ah, I missed that. Then yeah, I don’t think the 20 spirit resist competes. Question: does that mean you only get 1/4 duration if you resist the effect, but would otherwise have had half duration? I do have other quests still to do. I may have to come back later. I think I’ll try some other strategies first. I’m hungry for those tomes! Gotta up my stats and skills :)

Also, to Jibaholic, those are good tips too. I might have to respec hirge a bit so she can cast those scrolls. Like I said above, I want my skill and trait points! There’s just so many available through this dungeon, lol. But if I can’t beat it with a few strategy adjustments, I might just run past this worm and see how the rest of the dungeon goes. (I have a separate save ready from before starting it, in case things go south so I don’t get stuck.)

RPGamer

Jiflink":765jk0m4 said:
I’m playing a level 20 rogue. I’ve dealt with groups of carrions in other dungeons with relative ease (mostly because I can out-race the paralyze rng by a wide margin). With my trusty friend Hirge, I can generally hold my own against most opponents. But this Carrion Lord is a turd.

Some details about my rogue as I go into this battle:

Melee build
Armor - 26
Skills - Stab IV, Assassinate III, Evasion III, Flurry III, Massive Criticals II, Precision Strikes III
Spirit resist: 99 (this includes a 30-potion)
Weapon: Bluesteel Poisonous Dagger
Overall DPS: ~48 with a potion of giant strength.
Health - 218

Hirge has 26 armor, a couple advanced skills, and enough mana to heal me for days. She contributes to fights, but I mostly rely on her for healing and such.

I’ve tried this fight several times, and it’s a total shut-out every time. Even with evasion up I’m getting paralyzed almost instantly, and permanently.

I don’t know what I’m missing here. Pre-belt my agility is already 8, but with a couple levels I could raise that or strength by 1ish (strength is 3). There aren’t many weapons left to get that would give me a power spike. I have Sonet, a Primal Icycle, the magma short sword, and a handful pf other top tier light rogue weapons. But I don’t think many are going to greatly out-perform my poison blue-steel for this fight.

Likewise, my armor is pretty high I think, but maybe I could squeeze a few more points with some more content cleared and a couple more levels. Definitely I could go for skill points into spirit resist for an extra 30, and maybe find a few more pieces to raise that a little higher, but as I was reading elsewhere, even with 170, I’d still have 55% chance to be stunned for either 5 or 10 seconds, which seems long enough for perma-stun anyway.

So I’m not sure what more to do for this fight. Any advice is appreciated. And maybe I’m just underestimating how those incremental improvements could help.

Well, one piece of info that might help: evasion only has a chance to avoid DAMAGE....it does nothing to defend against stun or paralysis. I learned this the hard way by fighting carrions and thinking evasion would help keep me alive since (at the time) I had low spirit resistance....imagine my surprise when I avoided taking damage for a few seconds, but still got killed because I was paralyzed. Your best chance against carrions and carrion lord's (and devourers) is to have a high spirit resistance...I've found there are two strategies that help a great deal with them:
1) let your companion rush in to battle first, and if luck is with you, they'll all attack your companion (if not, it will still reduce the number of enemies YOU have to fight yourself) then while the carrions/lords are busy with your companion you can attack them without fear of being paralyzed
2) just kill them ass fast as possible....there are several ways to do this: 1:using stealth to sneak up on them and hitting them with stab will usually kill most enemies (especially if you have the sneak attack skill)
2: even if you don't have stealth or sneak attack, using stab can still be very helpful, especially if you have the assassinate skill
3: definitely use flurry...even if you don't get crits, it will greatly increase your dps for a time. I've found that enemies I had no hope of defeating (before getting flurry) could be killed fairly easily with flurry. When I first started playing, I wondered why flurry required agility 6 because increasing attack speed for a few seconds doesn't really sound very powerful (to me at least) but flurry can be a truly invaluable skill to have...almost godlike at times
The last thing I'd say is to either stick with weapons that do poison damage or find one with death damage....according to the wiki, carrion lords have high resistance to most elements, but have no poison or death resistance

Duck123

Loreseeker
If you can get the shadow blade at your level you could wreck the carrion lord, 5-11 damage +6 death damage 13 speed and it’s a light weapon

VDX_360

Staff member
Jiflink":3hm41pvr said:
... maybe I’m just underestimating how those incremental improvements could help.

Sort of. Exiled Kingdoms is a game of small improvements making a big difference, but as stated above, the Carrion Lord is meant to be difficult for high level players. Having Stun Immunity with a very high spirit resistance helps, but you'll likely get stunned atleast once so having a plan to endure that beating helps.

Some people max out the defense of their companion and let their companion take the beating. If they die, well, there's the above mentioned Scroll of Restoration. IF you're going to go that route, don't expect any presents from your Companions at the next holiday party. Also, Griss works best in that tactic as her defense and total HP tends to be slightly better. Hirge can't heal when stunned.

It's a tough fight but there are atleast half a dozen different tactics that work.