Archaelund (now updated with screenshots and video!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xen

Loreseeker
Re: Archaelund (preliminary info about my next game!)

Wesmyster":1hyfiunw said:
Hello, David!

I wanted to say that I love EK and I fully support your next game as well. This is the only game I play on mobile and it does not disappoint. That said, it would be nice if we, the players, were not bound by specific roles in the new game. It would open up character customization greatly if, instead of picking "mage", we had to discover magic in the world. The same could go with weapons; I would like to put a two-handed sword on my mage or a barrier spell on my berserker warrior. The tropes were fun for EK, now seems a good time to give us freedom of choice. Regardless I will still play.

So you want it to be like Divinity: Original Sin?

Wesmyster

Xen":hans9gha said:
Wesmyster":hans9gha said:
Hello, David!

So you want it to be like Divinity: Original Sin?

Kind of, but I had Two Worlds 2 in mind. Can you imagine spell combos? That would be awesome.

Xen

Loreseeker

Yeah it is great ofcourse, it is just IMHO i'm not a fan of hybrid skills maybe because I want my playing character to excel in a specified set of skills and to keep the replayability of the game.

But if it is something like skill trees branching to 2 or more kind of skill set for a specific class it is a YES for me.

P.S. Most of the games with hybrid skills can somewhat be confusing especially for new players that it can sometimes cause unwanted or should we call it broken builds.

Arthurii

Translator

As I know, EK was designed as an old-school RPG, and that's why there was strict class bounds. The game shined amongst other mobile games mostly because of the spirit of that long gone epoch. And I think that Archelaund should have same kind of spirit, for it to have comparable success, and I guess David plans something like that.

Well, that is until the Rule of Cool is breaked.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

Archaelund is a party-based game, and the focus is on PC so the system offers a lot more variety, so things are quite different than with EK.

There are around 60 Careers in the game. Each character is meant to start on a very basic career (which can be a Beggar, a Bodyguard, an Apprentice Wizard or a Thug, for instance). In fact, if you want to, the starting Career can be chosen randomly and you'll be able to get a few extra trait points. This means your starting career is the "background" of your character.

Soon, characters plan a switch to the Advanced Careers, which are more "heroic" occupations like Cavalier, Loreseeker, Captain, Marksman, etc. These have requisites you need to meet, both in the form of skills and traits minimums, and also story requirements; for instance, to unlock the Captain Career you'll need to command soldiers in battle. There's also a few Elite careers, which are the most powerful ones, but they are unlocked by joining specific factions or receiving story-related special training.

The system allows you to play hybrid characters, but you better know what you're doing because specialization is rewarded. However if you're capable of planning your career changes well, you can gain advantages in the endgame, of course. Having your melee characters being able to cast decent spells, or your mages having some complementary skills, can mean a big difference in the "sewers-of-horrors-like" areas that will be waiting for you.

Arthurii

Translator

Oh, my, that sounds awesome and reminds me of multiclassing from d&d 5e. I'd say, it's the closest design from all games I've heard about to what I play at d&d parties. That's enough intriguing for me to wait it just as enthusiastically :D

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

I just updated the first post with screenshots, art and even a short video.

p4ran0id

Staff member

Wow looks awesome! Thanks a lot.

One question, the character has an Age, is it important for traits/skills or just an unimportant information? Would be awesome if a young character get Boni for str/dmg and an old one for wisdom/magic ^^

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

p4ran0id":17ofzvjb said:
Wow looks awesome! Thanks a lot.

One question, the character has an Age, is it important for traits/skills or just an unimportant information? Would be awesome if a young character get Boni for str/dmg and an old one for wisdom/magic ^^

Age will reduce traits if it goes beyond certain limits, and certain magical effects may increase a character's age...

p4ran0id

Staff member

Wow interesting, now I'm even more hyped about that game. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.