Archaelund (now updated with screenshots and video!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalia Beaumont

DavidBVal":384psoh5 said:
Natalia Beaumont":384psoh5 said:
I know this is not the place to ask (I'll delete this reply) but I've been searching everywhere for the title of a certain music. I've tried Shazam, looked at almost all of Kevin McLeod's tracks and checked the credits but I can't seem to find it. Anyways, I'm looking for the one that plays at the very beginning of the game right after character creation, and before the tutorial.

If you mean the one playing during the "intro" explaining the backstory, then it is an untitled theme written and played by my son & daughter. They were 16 and 14 at the time.

Thanks very much! You have very talented children, sir! The track fits amazingly well with the introduction.

Myrindor

Loreseeker
Wow David!You made a system that i've seen for once in my lifetime!Truly though,i think IMHO this is one of a kind.

iscalio

[Note: I posted this in your RPGCodex thread before finding your own website.]

All of this looks wonderful. I found myself enjoying Exiled Kingdoms quite a bit, and this looks much improved (turn-based combat is how God intended it).

It is evident that all skills depend on one or several traits (e.g. heavy weapons on Str, light weapons on Str+Dex, ranged weapons on Dex+Awa, "maps & charts" on Awa+Int, etc.). Now, based on the character sheet of one burly bodyguard named Harry_273, it appears that unarmed combat is solely based on dexterity, and not a combination of dexterity and strength. If this is so, why? Why would I need Str+Dex when wielding a knife, but no strength at all when boxing and wrestling?

Furthermore: Harry_273 (did the previous 272 Harrys die, by the way?) has one rank in the skill Dodge. However, his total value is "-". How does this work? And it seems as if Dodge is not influenced by his dexterity, whereas Armor Proficiency is. That appears counter-intuitive to me. I like it if there are two paths to dealing with incoming attacks in RPGs, one based on speed and reflexes (dodging attacks), and one based on blocking ("soaking" blows with armor and shields). I like it because it means that you don't have to be nimble and dexterous to be a efficient "tank". Seeing both Dodge and Armor skills on the character sheet, at first I thought that Archaelund was going that route. But in that case Dodge should be based on Dex, and Armor Proficiency on End (I guess) - which obviously is not how it works.

Also: What is SLF? "Self"? If so, what does that mean?

And finally: Why is the batrax caster in the artwork wearing clothing? All the batrax in Exiled Kingdoms were nude. I suppose it relates to the batrax population claiming to be descendents from a certain adventurer, as mentioned in your design document. Apparently they have human DNA from the adventurer's dallying with Princess Elleira. That might explain their new-found level of civilization, in a weird fantasy-biology way.

Thank you for making the game, and thank you also if you find the time to answer my questions.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
First of all, the whole skill system is still subject to review and testing. There's the possibility of heavy changes over anything I mention here.

iscalio":52ckcydc said:
It is evident that all skills depend on one or several traits (e.g. heavy weapons on Str, light weapons on Str+Dex, ranged weapons on Dex+Awa, "maps & charts" on Awa+Int, etc.). Now, based on the character sheet of one burly bodyguard named Harry_273, it appears that unarmed combat is solely based on dexterity, and not a combination of dexterity and strength. If this is so, why? Why would I need Str+Dex when wielding a knife, but no strength at all when boxing and wrestling?

Every skill depends on a primary and a secondary trait. On the secondary trait, bonus is halved. Martial Arts has Dex + Slf as traits. Str may not influence your ability to hit with martial arts, but it is still very influential to calculate damage and for other factors.

Furthermore: Harry_273 (did the previous 272 Harrys die, by the way?) has one rank in the skill Dodge. However, his total value is "-". How does this work?

Dodge skill contributes to passive avoidance. Its effects will be fully explained when you hover over the avoidance value or the dodge skill. and yes, Avoidance is also affected by Dex and Awa, as well as by any unspent Action Points on your character (if he already acted that turn, which makes winning initiative very useful).

the reason why it shows as "-" is because avoidance has its own value listed on the character sheet, but probably still wasn't working when the screenshot was taken.

Besides avoidance (which is indeed "speed-based" and negates all damage) you have armor, which negates a portion of the damage you receive from hits.

Also: What is SLF? "Self"? If so, what does that mean?

Self-Control. How much the character's Mind rules the Body, the ability to push harder in pursuit of some goal, or draw upon the inner reserves of strength to overcome challenges.

And finally: Why is the batrax caster in the artwork wearing clothing? All the batrax in Exiled Kingdoms were nude.

Batrax wear clothes for the very same reasons we do. These Batrax intend to live permanently on the surface, not just to prey on it for a few hours, and clothing is a convenient protection from elements and other dangers, and provides social utility.

Edit: I will reproduce part of my replies at the 'Dex as well...

iscalio

Thank you for your patient replies! I am very much looking forward to your game.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Brief update: I keep doing stuff at great pace. Core mechanics like armor and avoidance, encumbrance, sound-programming, UI responsiveness and lots of other small things that ain't very flashy, but are essential steps in the right direction.

KieraofMyros

As I remarked upon my bio page ( check it out :) )
I am SERIOUSLY impressed with the progress I'm seeing with Archaelund, it is truly awesome to see the world of Exiled Kingdoms from this fantastic new perspective

Shane Ross

Will the Muudári story arc still be a part of Archaelund?
I found the muudári in EK is an interesting combination of Sifi and Fantacy.
Hoping to see that again in Archaelund.

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator
Small detail of a work in progress by Nacho Corva

UAsO0wY.png

Status
Not open for further replies.