Archaelund (now updated with screenshots and video!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

past caring

Re: About my next game (preliminary info!)

DavidBVal":17ac3wi3 said:
past caring":17ac3wi3 said:
You, sir, have an excellent taste for games ;)

Why thank you..... :D

I loved the fact there was always more than one way of doing things.....like when I visited Cambria for the first time and had no idea that there was a gundealer in the back of the adult store. Hans wouldn't let me in so I walked around the side, blew a hole in the wall with some dynamite and walked through and found Tony. :lol: :lol:

Also the humour was fantastic and no levels/artificial barriers - the game mechanics didn't prevent you from ignoring all side quests and just trying to straight from Omerta to the Queen's Palace and trying to pop one in her head. Though I doubt anyone ever succeeded with that...

Reactions: Kay

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

past caring":1xsj3bbh said:
I loved the fact there was always more than one way of doing things...

Yeah... it happened with truly great RPGs back then (late 90s to mid 2000s). Arcanum, Fallout 1, Bloodlines, they were incredible in that regard. Just take Arcanum, one of the early quests (bandits blocking the bridge) can be solved in, like, 6 different ways. And the ability you mention to break walls and move freely across maps would strike terror into the heart of any modern quest-designer, including myself.

I better stop before I get carried away and begin reinstalling them all... got a game to make :mrgreen:

Alan_SP

Staff member
Administrator
Re: Information about my next game (preliminary!)

DavidBVal":qrdtktfp said:
Have a look even at all-time-great 2D isometric games like Baldur's Gate or Arcanum; their character sprites are just a little more varied than EK's. A few years later on the first 3D titles in the mid 2000s, the variety of visuals is multiplied because in a 3D game adding new models and animations is much simpler.

And it sometimes goes to absurdity, at least in my opinion.

I looked at some XCOM videos where you can play with how your character looks. And there you can choose different tattoos for arms, head, etc. among other normal things.

To me, it is just "bragging rights": Our game have 1443 tattoos you can choose from. It doesn't add one iota to actual game play, replayabilty or real fun when playing game. I know there are games like Sims where something like this may have sense, but...

Anyway, I think that real thing that today usually is missed in games is actual game play, what you do, how you do it (it needs to allow relatively lot options, with relatively simple user interface, i.e. UI) and why you do it. Today it is too much into how it looks like. Boring. :(

AM JTS

Translator

I'm glad to hear from you about the new game. This is the news I’ve been waiting for since summer. In truth, not only I waited, but and all Russian-speaking users

Is the codeword Gerion related to Greek mythology?

Nerevarine

Great news, David! I can only hope to play as Muud'ari again and to find more technology stuff on the continent(but I understand that the hugest source of technology was crushed ship and there was only escape pod on continent), coz theirs story was really awesome, much better and deeper then 99% of AAA titles have nowadays

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

AM JTS":1hnz0vy6 said:
Is the codeword Gerion related to Greek mythology?

Heh, yeah, in a kind of ironical way. As you know it was a giant with a weird assortment of body parts of limbs(many arms, torsos, heads, even wings in some versions). I chose that name as the game engine combines plenty of (apparently incompatible) things from my favourite games (1st person exploration, 3rd person combat).

Nerevarine":1hnz0vy6 said:
Great news, David! I can only hope to play as Muud'ari again and to find more technology stuff on the continent(but I understand that the hugest source of technology was crushed ship and there was only escape pod on continent), coz theirs story was really awesome, much better and deeper then 99% of AAA titles have nowadays

Thanks, too early to comment on that but theoretically speaking there can be other sources of technology.

There was an original seedship that terraformed the planet, and also the escape pods and whatever early dwelling the original Muud'ari people built. I'm not saying they'll be part of the game, you know, but they may be out there.

0rion79

Those are great news David! I was really looking forward for this post.
Out of my curiosity, how will you be able to hadle such a big project all by yourself? It looks like a huge task and a huge entreprenurial bet as well! It is really hard to make a game that takes years to be completed without knowing what will happen to the market.
Anyway, you have earned our support :)

DavidBVal

Developer
Staff member
Administrator

0rion79":3qrswjb2 said:
Those are great news David! I was really looking forward for this post.
Out of my curiosity, how will you be able to hadle such a big project all by yourself? It looks like a huge task and a huge entreprenurial bet as well! It is really hard to make a game that takes years to be completed without knowing what will happen to the market.
Anyway, you have earned our support :)

Thanks!

Exiled Kingdoms seems to sell well enough to fund a good stretch of development time, at least until I have an Early Access version to sell on Steam. And indeed it's a lot of work, but A) I have more experience now and I am using better tools, things are moving much faster this time and B) It's work I love doing, so that's not a problem.

Also, this project will count with professional artists to make beautiful assets, of course. You'll all see!

DonBruno

On the subject of inspiration from good tactical RPGs, I recommend checking out Underrail.

"Underrail is an old school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat. It's inspired by western RPG classics such as Fallout, Arcanum, Neverwinter Nights and System Shock 2."

It has one of the best and most varied tactical combat systems I have seen. Plays very differently depending on character choices, and usually many different ways to solve (or bypass) a situation.

JamesThePunk

Loreseeker

The game will feature a very unique combination of real-time exploration and careful turn-based strategy during encounters; you'll explore the world in first-person perspective in a 3D world, much like in the Elder Scrolls games or in the classic Wizardry or Might&Magic games. But battles will happen in isometric perspective! When combat begins the camera floats up to offer a top-down view of the scene, so you can individually move your party members. The idea is to have the best of both worlds: an immersive exploration and tactical combat at the same time, allowing huge epic battles. As far as I know, no modern RPG has done this before; classical games like Pool of Radiance or Betrayal at Krondor did, but in a very limited way and using much simpler graphics.
So im a huge fan of EK I had a few suggestions about the new game. I think you should keep a similar playstyle to the first game, the flow of gameplay was one of the things that kept me playing. Ive never been much of a fan of turn based combat (it just feels slow and makes less combat since it takes longer per enemy and such) and the way you set the first game plays out very well. Other then different gameplay mechanics im very excited to see a new chapter in the EK world (also im glad you can have a larger party). Keep posting updates on the new game, ill definetly be playing a beta release as soon as its available.

Status
Not open for further replies.